Any body else thinking about geting a different toy

sledrider

With lack of snow last several years is any one else thinking of geting a different toy, thinking about a 4 wh
eeler at least can use it year round and dont have to wonder if it will snow

russholio

Nope.

Had a boat, had a PWC, not interested in 4-wheeling -- none compare. Loves me some sleddin'. Just my experience, of course, no knock on anybody who enjoys the aforementioned.

slimcake

Have boat, had crotch rocket, had 4 wheeler, had jet ski, nothing like sledding. bought 3 new sleds in last five years and only been able to ride from home 3 of those years. Sucks to come home every night and see the sled sitting there in the garage. I guess we can always travel to it but I will say after having a hard time even getting 3 guys to head up north I am beginning to have my doubts about this habit.... It used to be we would get 10-12 guys and have to tell others that there was no room.... How does the song go "all my rowdy friends have settled down...."

doospunk

Not here. I always travel to the snow and average 5 or 6 trips a season. I'm on par to hit that again. Some of the trips have been thinner than usual, but there's always snow to ride when chasing it. Snow around home is nice, but not my cup of tea. I'll go ditch banging a bit here and there, but it's just not the same IMO.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with you guys, not much of a comparison between snowmobiles and ATV's. It's one of my few Wintertime hobbies/sports that gets me out of the house but I'm just as frustrated as the next guy with another low-snow year.

79_srx

The only reason im keeping the sleds is for my kids and cant ride the bike in the winter. sick of "chasing snow" did that for 15 years. not fun any more. motor went bad first week in Dec on xp 800 and haven't even looked at it yet. been looking at bikes since November, thinking a new bike or camper this year.

Last edited:

yamahauler

Yup, bought a motorcycle last January, lol.

Was thinking the same thing, get wheelers or side by instead.

Actually was thinking of getting a mountain sled and do two trips a year out there and call it a year.

We have been talking about selling our 3 sleds and both of our quads and getting a 5 seater UTV. I think it is time for us, we haven't rode our sleds maybe 400 miles total for the last couple seasons. To me it's not worth keeping them. Plus we plan on going to Florida for the winters, business is just to far and in between in the winter.

russholio

The only reason im keeping the sleds is for my kids and cant ride the bike in the winter. sick of "chasing snow" did that for 15 years. not fun any more.

Not to downplay or trivialize your frustration....but chasing snow is a way of life for most of us city slickers cuz it's a minimum of 2 hours to the closest trail worthy of the name (and in the past few years, even further to find one that has rideable snow). I've never known the joy of being able to walk out my door and ride. Hopefully that will change within the next few years! :)

skidont

I am going back to a 4 stroke . I put on 7000 miles in the 3 years I had my 1200 and 800 miles the last 2 years with the 2 strokes . it will also be my last sled

ezra

I am going back to a 4 stroke . I put on 7000 miles in the 3 years I had my 1200 and 800 miles the last 2 years with the 2 strokes . it will also be my last sled
any of that have to do with the snow in north branch has been non existent the last 2 yrs and 3 4 and 5 yrs ago u could ride from your house in good snow ?

srt20

Ive got all the seasons covered.

With the way this season has gone, I admit I have been spending alot of time on the SxS and camping sites already.

bearrassler

I have never been able to carve a good side hill with a quad

Thats a great reason Ezra, ATV's don't compare at all for me, give me a snowmobile in the winter and a pontoon boat in the summer (I am getting older) and I will be happy. I have had 4 wheelers, jet skis, ski boats, and fishing boats, and snowmobiling is still the most fun by far.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boating and Snowmobiling have got to be the two most "high cost-weather dependent sports" out there. Am I wrong?

Boating: Rain, High Winds, Cool Weather, and Approx. 90 Day Season for Watersports.

Snowmobiling Rain, No Snow, Warm Weather, and Approx. 90 Day Season for Sledding.

That leaves me with 6 months out of the year to clean, repair, and store the boat and snowmobile.

Oh, and don't forget the Insurance for that 12 month period too. Ya, this is workin out just great!

ezra

sad part is my boat sits in the lake all summer and I still use it less than the sled .
to be honest the wife is the only reason I still own a boat it is nothing but a bunch of work dock in dock out paint bottom buff and wax change oil change lower unit oil yank lower unit to grease flush water lines bring props in to to get fixed again clean int get new tires for trailer again.then there it sits its to hot its to cold to much traffic go check battery's cuz it has not moved in a mo.then the winterizing starts usually rain cold supper windy. god I hope we get a ton of snow and the barn collapses on it

Last edited: