Dog sled team hit by Snowmobiler in Bayfield WI

indy_500

This is extremely tragic and a totally inhumane idiotic move! But, one thing does come to mind, and correct me if I’m wrong, but, unless this was on a multi-use trail, or it was the landowner where that trail goes, it is not legal for a dog sledder to be on that trail. I’m not trying to provide any defense for the snowmobiler, but this seems like an extremely unsafe situation to begin with. Again, I feel for the individual and prayers sent his way!

whitedust

I came up on a musher on an unplowed FR. No way I was going to pass never entered my mind. Stayed my distance until she stopped secured the dogs and waved me thru. Even then I was nervous those dogs have a mind of their own.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indy makes a good point but anyone who leaves the scene of an accident deserves some harsh treatment. I hate to hear stories where animals are harmed by stupid humans and their behavior. It makes every one of us look bad to the general public.

old abe

Hopes, and many prayers, for the musher, and his, or her team! Very tragic news, and could end very ugly!

old abe

Indy makes a good point but anyone who leaves the scene of an accident deserves some harsh treatment. I hate to hear stories where animals are harmed by stupid humans and their behavior. It makes every one of us look bad to the general public.
Spot on you are Gary! If the musher stated correctly, the snowmobile operator needs to be incarcerated for years! Sounds as operating a snowmobile in a intentional reckless manor! This very easily could of resulted in vehicular homicide.

mrsrunningbear

This is extremely tragic and a totally inhumane idiotic move! But, one thing does come to mind, and correct me if I’m wrong, but, unless this was on a multi-use trail, or it was the landowner where that trail goes, it is not legal for a dog sledder to be on that trail. I’m not trying to provide any defense for the snowmobiler, but this seems like an extremely unsafe situation to begin with. Again, I feel for the individual and prayers sent his way!
From what I understand it was on a multi use trail and marked for mushing, with warning signs about the multi use

whitedust

Incredible to me I see musher oncoming I would undoubtedly stop let the musher have the trail. Dog team could do anything who knows play it safe pull right and STOP. I had a coyote run out in trail get between me and leader I slowed down thought coyote would exit like a deer. I couldn’t see leader anymore and coyote wasn’t going to exit had his mind set to run down trail. So I closed in he moved a bit left and I pinned it and it was close and I could see he bared his teeth but got by him without getting bit. Animals are unpredictable stop or come up with a safe plan to pass. Think it thru.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Spot on you are Gary! If the musher stated correctly, the snowmobile operator needs to be incarcerated for years! Sounds as operating a snowmobile in a intentional reckless manor! This very easily could of resulted in vehicular homicide.
Jail is too good for this evil person. Just take them out back and hang 'em on a short rope!

Of course I am not serious, but the dog lover in me would like to spend a few minutes alone with him to work on my batting practice.

euphoric1

this guy is nothing short of a jagoff and one word comes to mind....karma and hopefully he will get his one day! and watches helplessly as the inflictor drives away.

whitedust

We only got one side of the story and everybody's is ready to hang him or her Wow. I hope the dogs are ok.
Here’s the problem sounds like he didn’t stop hit dogs and and kept going. Correct me if I’m wrong but Impression is hit and run.

turbo420

Here’s the problem sounds like he didn’t stop hit dogs and and kept going. Correct me if I’m wrong but Impression is hit and run.
I hear you but we don't know if the story is 100% true it's just one side of the story. the musher could hate snowmobilers and made it up. we just don't have the whole story

old abe

Jail is too good for this evil person. Just take them out back and hang 'em on a short rope!

Of course I am not serious, but the dog lover in me would like to spend a few minutes alone with him to work on my batting practice.
No argument from me what so ever, eh! Agree on all John! I really hope that Law Enforcement catches this "whatever" (your choice), for sure.

old abe

I
I hear you but we don't know if the story is 100% true it's just one side of the story. the musher could hate snowmobilers and made it up. we just don't have the whole story
I'm not buying that one bit! Try this, why did he not stop, eh! Explain that? Perhaps more of this type conduct, "Hurray for me, and to (whatever) with you, eh?

whitedust

So he broke legs on his dogs and blamed on Snowmobiler. Jusse Smolett style??? Highly doubt it. Mushers and Snowmobilers have no reason to dislike each other we are both sledders. I know I didn’t mind when I encountered mushers we both had right to ride the FR. I was extremely cautious and curious tried to do the right thing used horse sense.

Chittamo

The report above says it happened on the Corrider trail which would be trail 2. That is the trail which runs between Superior and Ashland,,(old railroad bed). This trail is as straight and wide as a 2 lane hwy in that area. How the F does something like this happen??

hybrid

im with turbo on this one
we dont know the whole story
crazy to think someone a fellow snowmobiler would act this way is insane
this whole story makes no sense
and yes i bet some dog mushers do hate snowmobilers