Dog sled team hit by Snowmobiler in Bayfield WI

mrsrunningbear

So he broke legs on his dogs and blamed on Snowmobiler. Jusse Smolett style??? Highly doubt it. Mushers and Snowmobilers have no reason to dislike each other we are both sledders. I know I didn’t mind when I encountered mushers we both had right to ride the FR. I was extremely cautious and curious tried to do the right thing used horse sense.
I hear you but we don't know if the story is 100% true it's just one side of the story. the musher could hate snowmobilers and made it up. we just don't have the whole story
There are witnesses who were snowmobilers who were on that trail, saw the mushers passed them correctly/kindly and further down the trail they were recklessly passed by this guy.

goofy600

There are just some very evil people in this world period. My first thought is did snowmobiler think they were wolves and want to run them down but how do you miss the musher and sled unless they didn’t notice in time but my bet just a very evil person.

whitedust

There are just some very evil people in this world period. My first thought is did snowmobiler think they were wolves and want to run them down but how do you miss the musher and sled unless they didn’t notice in time but my bet just a very evil person.
The perp would be facing jail for running down wolves that’s against the law in fact can’t harass any wild life. 10 years ago an Ahole on a snowmobile in WI lassoed a deer tied the deer to a tree harassed it until it died. DNR hunted him down and perp did time in jail.

goofy600

Whitedust agree but people take out wolves all the time and don’t get caught. My point was maybe take out a wolf is one thing but how do you mistake a dogsled team for a wolf or 2. Complete crap person is all I am saying.

turbo420

what if the snowmobiler story comes back as I was riding along at 35 mph and his dogs started coming at me and was trying to bite my leg and i gunned it and got out of there? We just don't have all the info. please keep us updated would like to know how it plays out. i hope the dogs are recovering well. sad story

LoveMyDobe

I live very close to where this happened. There is an old trailer house ( hunting shack) that was sold recently right on the Corridor just yards down from where this horrible incident occurred and I saw the gate to this place open Saturday , I’m going to see if the new owner put up cameras.

LoveMyDobe

what if the snowmobiler story comes back as I was riding along at 35 mph and his dogs started coming at me and was trying to bite my leg and i gunned it and got out of there? We just don't have all the info. please keep us updated would like to know how it plays out. i hope the dogs are recovering well. sad story
You’ve never been around a sled dog team have you? These 2 really wanted to eat me😂

Attachments

• 0D085D75-2EE3-4043-A5AC-49B2993C4C72.jpeg
    0D085D75-2EE3-4043-A5AC-49B2993C4C72.jpeg
    786.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

LoveMyDobe

This is extremely tragic and a totally inhumane idiotic move! But, one thing does come to mind, and correct me if I’m wrong, but, unless this was on a multi-use trail, or it was the landowner where that trail goes, it is not legal for a dog sledder to be on that trail. I’m not trying to provide any defense for the snowmobiler, but this seems like an extremely unsafe situation to begin with. Again, I feel for the individual and prayers sent his way!
It happened on a multi use recreational trail

WorkHardPlayHrd

I have passed multiple dog sled teams on this trail in the past. To be honest they are usually far easier to pass then the atvs that are allowed on this trail in the winter.

Secondly, what decent human being hits any living thing and then drives off. If something went wrong while passing you pull over, contact authorities, and attempt to rectify the situation. You don't leave. Either we have a young sledder who panicked after having things go wrong, or this was done on purpose. Been around multiple dog sled teams. They were all pleasant friendly animals. Also teams are normally used to being around sleds.

matti

I live very close to where this happened. There is an old trailer house ( hunting shack) that was sold recently right on the Corridor just yards down from where this horrible incident occurred and I saw the gate to this place open Saturday , I’m going to see if the new owner put up cameras.
This is about 2 miles from where I'm sitting right now. I suspect the musher was training for the Northern Pines Sled Dog race coming up on February 19? I'm on this section of the Tri-county Corridor a lot and occasionally see a sled dog team. I wish the victims the best. Wow.

LoveMyDobe

This is about 2 miles from where I'm sitting right now. I suspect the musher was training for the Northern Pines Sled Dog race coming up on February 19? I'm on this section of the Tri-county Corridor a lot and occasionally see a sled dog team. I wish the victims the best. Wow.
The Musher lives in Alaska and comes to WI run his team. Not sure if he’d plan on the Northern Pines race this year but for sure the Beargrease in MN

snobuilder

Its so far fetched you need to stop and think about it. Dog lovers are an increasingly strange and aggressive group a ppl. It's mostly virtue signaling where the owners try and out do each other on how much they love their pets. Virtue signaling runs amuck these days. I like dogs but don't go bat schit crazy over them like they are my kids. Could be the snowmobiler thought he might get "lynched" trailside if he/she stopped.

Having said this I had posted on here probly 7 years ago where I almost had a head on with mushers up on the Freda loop. I was coming around a curve and way right in fact I put one ski on the rt side berm when I spotted the first dog far left on my side of the snowmobile trail. The musher gave ME a dirty look ....dipshit! There was a 4 wheeler with them but the dogs were apparently getting better traction and ahead of it instead of it clearing the way ahead of them.

Highflyer

I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would purposely hit the dogs with his or hers own sled. I would think this could have caused damage to the sled. I guess I'm just not buying this was done purposely. Short of the sled being stolen by some drunk/drugged up guy who had no idea what he was doing. I mean was the person who did this riding alone?

LoveMyDobe

I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would purposely hit the dogs with his or hers own sled. I would think this could have caused damage to the sled. I guess I'm just not buying this was done purposely. Short of the sled being stolen by some drunk/drugged up guy who had no idea what he was doing. I mean was the person who did this riding alone?
There was another sled with the one that hit the team

indy_500

41BD0355-293D-48FA-9692-5AE4C2ED3209.jpeg I checked out the post on Facebook, I think there is way too much hostility and emotions at hand without knowing more facts, which is typical among all social media... Sad situation for sure.

I’ve had the experience of riding the Keweenaw during the Copper Dog 150 twice over the years, and coming around the corner to a group of dogs, they cannot adjust to a snowmobile, and there is nothing you can do but move over and get out of the way. Thought I’d share a pic I took February 29, 2020. If you notice, they are on the wrong side of the trail and I had to pull over to the left side.

Last edited:

turbo420

Maybe it's time rethink multi use recreational trails don't seem very safe for the snowmobilers and dog teams.

Last edited:

snobuilder

I just remember thinking I was glad I wasn't going balls out that morning as it was early on a monday without much if any other oncoming sleds.

No one wants to see an animal suffer so this is messed up either way the blame goes.

euphoric1

The snowmobiler “purposely“ went on the left side of the trail and struck the dogs? This story sounds like bull***t..
I would agree was likely not purposely, but man up no matter who was at fault here and see what happened see if everyone or animal was ok and in today's world I can understand the fear of how someone may react. But there are enough good people in the world yet that simply just giving a look over the shoulder just fuels the hatred. I would be shocked if purposeful but man up if it was an accident, I'm sure the situation would be very different if something had happened to him or her and someone would have just driven off.