Dog sled team hit by Snowmobiler in Bayfield WI

snobuilder

Certainly the driving off is the most puzzling part of the one side of the story we are hearing. My everyday thought process is that if it doesn't make sense ,it is most likely to be BS.

hybrid

wow now its terrorism
hope they find the guy
this is crazy chit
good to see the board is back up

LoveMyDobe

Ryan was out yesterday running his team yesterday on the same trail he was hit on past weekend. This picture takin yesterday shows how wide the Corridor is for those not familiar, love the 👍🏼 as a sledder is passing.

Attachments

• 4B62B9B8-4BE9-4EAC-A534-FE998DE9AAD3.jpeg
    4B62B9B8-4BE9-4EAC-A534-FE998DE9AAD3.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 49

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 66730 I checked out the post on Facebook, I think there is way too much hostility and emotions at hand without knowing more facts, which is typical among all social media... Sad situation for sure.

I’ve had the experience of riding the Keweenaw during the Copper Dog 150 twice over the years, and coming around the corner to a group of dogs, they cannot adjust to a snowmobile, and there is nothing you can do but move over and get out of the way. Thought I’d share a pic I took February 29, 2020. If you notice, they are on the wrong side of the trail and I had to pull over to the left side.
He is on that side because he knows most snowmobilers ride the middle or the wrong side themselves...🙂

mezz

He is on that side because he knows most snowmobilers ride the middle or the wrong side themselves...🙂
True statement. I will however point out that during the Copper Dog 150, all sledders are aware of the trails being used for this event & are also aware that the sled dog teams essentially have the right of way and are expected to yield the right of way. So far, the sledders have been very respectful of the mushers presence.

LoveMyDobe

The Corridor is rerouted for sleds during the one day Sled dog event in Iron River for safety. It’s only for 7 hrs of “ detour” for snowmobilers and I get so frickin mad hearing them complain because they think they own the trail. Maybe this accident will make them think why we do this.

turbo420

The Corridor is rerouted for sleds during the one day Sled dog event in Iron River for safety. It’s only for 7 hrs of “ detour” for snowmobilers and I get so frickin mad hearing them complain because they think they own the trail. Maybe this accident will make them think why we do this.
Wow who pays for the trail? Sled dog teams?? hmm no it's payed bye the snowmobiler clubs or there would not be a trail at all for the dog teams to use. Maybe it time not to share the trail with sled dogs not safe.

Last edited:

LoveMyDobe

Wow who pays for the trail? Sled dog teams?? hmm no it's payed bye the snowmobiler clubs or there would not be a trail at all for the dog teams to use
The Event pays the TriCountyCorridor use of trail for this event. The groomer does groom the section used and is paid as well , it’s only 3 miles that is being used for this event. It’s a multi purpose trail, please research before you comment

euphoric1

I have passed multiple dog sled teams on this trail in the past. To be honest they are usually far easier to pass then the atvs that are allowed on this trail in the winter.

Secondly, what decent human being hits any living thing and then drives off. If something went wrong while passing you pull over, contact authorities, and attempt to rectify the situation. You don't leave. Either we have a young sledder who panicked after having things go wrong, or this was done on purpose. Been around multiple dog sled teams. They were all pleasant friendly animals. Also teams are normally used to being around sleds.
WorkHardPlayHrd, I completely agree with your post but on the news this morning in response to your "what descent human being hits any living thing and then drives off" in Milwaukee a young woman was killed by a hit and run driver, never stopped, kept driving and yet to turn himself in so unfortunately in answer to that... these people are out there unfortunately and again I say... MAN UP!! if you know what you did.

ridindirty800

Wow who pays for the trail? Sled dog teams?? hmm no it's payed bye the snowmobiler clubs or there would not be a trail at all for the dog teams to use. Maybe it time not to share the with sled dogs not safe.

The only way its not safe to have sled dog teams on the trails is if you are driving your snowmobile like a jackass and way to fast. Down here in SE Wi we share the kettle moraine forest trails with people riding horses. Any time I pass people walking dogs, sled dog teams, or horses I just pull over and let them by as I know animals can get crazy with noises or machines.

turbo420

The Event pays the TriCountyCorridor use of trail for this event. The groomer does groom the section used and is paid as well , it’s only 3 miles that is being used for this event. It’s a multi purpose trail, please research before you comment
Wow it's my club that grooms that part of the trail you don't give us money because it a multi purpose trail . i don't have to do research when you are apart of it. you must not be in the club i take it. And i'am not going to go rounds with you have a great day.

LoveMyDobe

Wow it's my club that grooms that part of the trail you don't give us money because it a multi purpose trail . i don't have to do research when you are apart of it. you must not be in the club i take it. And i'am not going to go rounds with you have a great day.
What club are you in? There is no Iron River snowmobile club as we disbanded a few years ago. The Alliance grooms the Corridor from Brule east to FR 241

goofy600

So your saying that your club owns that part of the trail? And if so you are saying that they have control over usage of said trail and they have not accepted any money from anyone except snowmobilers for use of this trail?

old abe

Goofy you are Absolutely correct! Except for "private trails", and the Corridor trail with this issue is not one BIT Private, period!

harvest1121

I know the Bear Skin if you ride a bike on it you are supposed to pay a fee. Do dog sleds have to also? My dog is sleeping next to me as a type so I like pets. I do not like fat tire mountain bikes on the trails either they are hard to see. I am in the bicycle business also so I see it both ways but think all groups should have money in the game if they want to use the trails.