Dog sled team hit by Snowmobiler in Bayfield WI

meoget

If this is true, it sounds like the snowmobiler may have been doing a little drinkin'. Sounds like some drunk stupidity.

elf

I'm not defending the snowmobiler in any way here but these dog sledders need to think about when they are on trails. A couple weekends ago we were riding the northshore state trail and it was a mad house with snowmobilers. I'd never seen so many sleds on that trail and then we came across two people running dog sleds down it on a busy Saturday. They absolutely have every right to be there, I'm not arguing that. But for their safety, their dogs safety, and snowmobilers safety a very busy saturday afternoon may not be the right time. On the forest roads we run we see mushers frequently, they even stopped and gave our kids a ride once and we respect them and pull over when meeting them or waiting until they stop before we pass them but I just think it was a poor choice to be on the trails that day.

old abe

I'm not defending the snowmobiler in any way here but these dog sledders need to think about when they are on trails. A couple weekends ago we were riding the northshore state trail and it was a mad house with snowmobilers. I'd never seen so many sleds on that trail and then we came across two people running dog sleds down it on a busy Saturday. They absolutely have every right to be there, I'm not arguing that. But for their safety, their dogs safety, and snowmobilers safety a very busy saturday afternoon may not be the right time. On the forest roads we run we see mushers frequently, they even stopped and gave our kids a ride once and we respect them and pull over when meeting them or waiting until they stop before we pass them but I just think it was a poor choice to be on the trails that day.
Elf, perhaps they were there because that's the only time they had available to execise their teams? Is a multi use trail available to them only at certain times? I'm not arguing your point, as it's very well taken. Where I'm coming from on this, is there are way too many snowmobilers, I'm sad to say, that seem to think, and act, as they are the only ones on the trail! Hurray for me, and to ---- with others? Other snowmobiles, dog sled teams, or what ever? Irresponsible conduct perhaps? Yeah, well, that may start a firestorm, eh!

elf

Elf, perhaps they were there because that's the only time they had available to execise their teams? Is a multi use trail available to them only at certain times? I'm not arguing your point, as it's very well taken. Where I'm coming from on this, is there are way too many snowmobilers, I'm sad to say, that seem to think, and act, as they are the only ones on the trail! Hurray for me, and to ---- with others? Other snowmobiles, dog sled teams, or what ever? Irresponsible conduct perhaps? Yeah, well, that may start a firestorm, eh!
As far as I know there's no time restrictions for them as far as access to that trail. And within 2-5 miles there's 50-100 miles of unplowed forest roads to run on.

Again, I have no problem with them using the trails and I enjoy seeing them but I feel that was a bad day to be out on that particular trail. Lots of blind curves and hills.

And I agree on your comment on too many snowmobilers that think they own the trail. Thats why when our kids were small we would barely ride trails on weekends, stick to forest roads.