Electric vehicle

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see that Push Button Automatics are making a come-back. One of my Dad's early cars was a 60 or 61 Dodge Pioneer. It had the obligatory tail fins with a push button automatic.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of the higher ends have them, namely BMW and Honda. The new Honda Accord hybrid touring has push buttons on the center console for park, reverse, neutral, and drive. There's even a push button for the parking brake. The car has a CVT, so that's all you need.

Heck, I'm still getting used to the Push Button start on my truck and I won't be going anywhere without the Key Fob.

Progress, I guess.

united

Not paddle shifters. Push button. Push the button that says P(ark) D(rive) etc.
2021-gmf-tahoeppv22-electshift.jpg

united

WTF. You guys are all off your rockers. Not having a cell phone has nothing to do with age. It’s so They can’t track or get a hold of you. Whoever they are, government, wife, work. If you think it’s about age, I think you missed the point. There are a lot of young people that live off the grid as well, but I will concede that old farts are more likely to think this way. And no I am not kidding. And yes I have a cell / mobile phone.

What’s a working man’s car. Depends if you are an engineer or a working man. But something around $2,000 to $20,000 I would think.

Anybody can say whatever they want but as of today (IMO) EVs suck. Fun to drive around town but not an all around vehicle, more like a toy. Maybe in a few months / years they will be good but it’s not a real car / truck as of today IMO.

As far as the V8s. If you are towing a mile from your house to the lake or to the dealer well maybe you can get away with anything. But if you are trying to tow several hundred miles with more than just one Yamaha four stroke you are going to need some displacement. And none of that has anything to do with age.

united

Never been in one. Never seen one that I can remember. But I did know the old school push buttons did exist. Must have seen one in a car show when I was young or heard people talking. Says 1964 Imperial, don't know who made that but going to google.

64Imp-600x475.jpg

G

G

Ok now..let's get back to talking about Electric cars and such.
Did you know it takes 70 pounds of coal to charge your typical electric vehicle??
And it takes 3 gallons of water to make a gallon of ethanol. So a gallon of water is a little over 8 lbs. So to put 20 gallons of water in your pickup takes 160 lbs of water. 70 lbs of coal is not even two cubic feet of coal.

Which would you rather run out of? I can drink water. I can't eat coal.

mezz

Never been in one. Never seen one that I can remember. But I did know the old school push buttons did exist. Must have seen one in a car show when I was young or heard people talking. Says 1964 Imperial, don't know who made that but going to google.

64Imp-600x475.jpg
Chrysler....... Plymouth also had one, I think it was the Valiant.....

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member

64Imp-600x475.jpg
Mezz is correct, Chrysler made the Imperial. I had an Uncle that built Ramblers in Kenosha a long long time ago. The Ramblers also had a push button transmission. Funny how you remember stuff like that and other stuff....poof it's gone.

indy_500

And it takes 3 gallons of water to make a gallon of ethanol. So a gallon of water is a little over 8 lbs. So to put 20 gallons of water in your pickup takes 160 lbs of water. 70 lbs of coal is not even two cubic feet of coal.

Which would you rather run out of? I can drink water. I can't eat coal.
I think we can all agree, we could live without ethanol in our gasoline, but can’t live without water in our bodies… poor comparison

G

G

Yes it is a poor comparison. Sorry about that. I guess my point is that all energy sources cost money. There is no free ride anywhere. And then governments tack on taxes and fees and God knows what else. There is no way around it. That is the world we live in.

xsledder

Driving to Des Moines this evening and saw two Prime electric delivery vans being towed on a trailer by an F350. So, they are not starting out net zero. Are they going to suck up some CO2 to make up for the CO2 emitted by the truck towing them? I think not!

chunk06

The dimmer switch on the floor did not do well with all the dirt, mud and moisture. I remember replacing them all the time. I did like using them better though.

nytro_rtx

True, but at least the "real" Mustang is still being built, is still rear wheel drive, still offered with a ICE V-8 and still offered with a manual transmission.

Agreed but they could have named it something different, so it wasn't being associated with the Mustang as it's nothing like the original.