Electric vehicle

ICT Sledder

An automotive youtuber (that actually lives just a few miles from my house) recently bought a Lightning. First towing test a week or so ago he charged it up to 200 miles of range, towed a 1000 lb aluminum flatbed north about 30 miles, loaded up a 2500 lb Model T onto it, and drove the 3500 lb combined weight home south another 30-ish miles. He barely made it home. Not a windy day, or a hot day. A cool, rainy, early-fall type of day in our area. He filmed it in real time, and I'm aware where he lives and where he went - the test is what he says it was. Not clickbait.

The Lightning will be great for an around town, commuter-type vehicle, but totally and completely worthless for doing actual truck things. I'm not sure what the point is? I guess if I was hell-bent on getting an EV I'd just buy a Tesla and enjoy the insane acceleration, the semi-autonomous driving experience, and the huge charging infrastructure Musk has built for them. The day where an electric Super Duty exists that can tow a fifth wheel across the country with some range and ease of re-charge is likely a generation of humanity or two in front of us yet.

Last edited:
G

G

The vast majority of truck buyers do not do Truck Things with their trucks. The tenish percent or less that do Truck Things will continue to use ICE vehicles. They are not the target market. The fact that new Lightning and the soon to be coming Silverado, Hummer and Dodge Ram are not good tow vehicles makes absolutely no difference. All of them are sold out for the next two years. At least. The towing stories are real and have been around for over a year already. It makes absolutely no difference. Electrics make sense for over 90 percent of the population. Right now. In less than five years nearly all two car families will have one of them be an EV. Because it will make economic sense.

The EV manufacturers simply do not care about the die hard ICE folk. There are more than enough customers to buy every EV they can produce. This is an undeniable fact. This is a rock rolling downhill. And it will only speed up.

G

G

I have no intention of even putting a ball hitch on my Lightning. If I want to tow something or go on a long mile trip I will use my 2018 Lariat. That said I am pretty sure I will be driving my Lightning ninety percent of the time.

Also there is currently NO VEHICLE that is perfect for every use. Think about that. There are and always have been trade offs no matter what you choose to drive.

katden4

This is a truck, that cant do truck things. Towing is most likely the one thing all pick up truck owners do with a truck, and this one fails completely at that task. Sorry but not even close to what pick up truck owners expect to do with their truck. This is not an acceptable trade off for many.

whitedust

I have no intention of even putting a ball hitch on my Lightning. If I want to tow something or go on a long mile trip I will use my 2018 Lariat. That said I am pretty sure I will be driving my Lightning ninety percent of the time.

Also there is currently NO VEHICLE that is perfect for every use. Think about that. There are and always have been trade offs no matter what you choose to drive.
Maybe Musk already knew this Tesla truck has been delayed so many times currently no release date. I buy a truck to be used as a truck can’t afford 2 trucks those days are gone for me.

mrbb

The vast majority of truck buyers do not do Truck Things with their trucks. The tenish percent or less that do Truck Things will continue to use ICE vehicles. They are not the target market. The fact that new Lightning and the soon to be coming Silverado, Hummer and Dodge Ram are not good tow vehicles makes absolutely no difference. All of them are sold out for the next two years. At least. The towing stories are real and have been around for over a year already. It makes absolutely no difference. Electrics make sense for over 90 percent of the population . Right now. In less than five years nearly all two car families will have one of them be an EV. Because it will make economic sense.

The EV manufacturers simply do not care about the die hard ICE folk. There are more than enough customers to buy every EV they can produce. This is an undeniable fact. This is a rock rolling downhill. And it will only speed up.
I will agree with you that a large portion of TRUCK owners only want a vehicle that is big and supports an image they have in there heads, a lot of trucks today are nothing but daily drivers and grocery getters!
but not truck owners are these types, many are actually folks that buy a truck, for using it for smaller truck needs, which they DO< do, often!

and IMO< its a fairly large percentage of these daily drivers that do tow every now and then and some that tow often, be it a fishing boat, atv's, small Rv or camper, its why they bought a truck , for when they need a TRUCK, they have one!

the real work horses of trucks will be the 3/4-1 tons, (and yes there are many that own these just to have one and don;t use it for what it can do)
so I don;t buy the deal your pushing that truck buyers really don't want a truck that can tow , even if now and then, its defeating the purpose of a truck!, all the more so when the agenda is to faze out ICE vehicles now??
I call BS< on you saying that Electrics make sense for over 90 percent of the population,!~
as there is a far larger percent of drivers in the USA that drive a lot of miles a weeks, a day, , deliver things, tow things, move things, work in construction and so on, that is way higher than 10% of drivers , where a E vehicle right now makes zero sense nor would work for them , then add in the folks that simply cannot AFFORD one, (or costs to add a charging station to there homes, think seniors on fixed income and well there a lot more of them than you seem to think are out there)
then add in folks that live in off the beaten places where things like stores are 40-50+ miles one way!,

and what about folks that live in apartments where no home charger is there, ?? and rely on street parking??

and I think your 90 % is way way off, be lucky if it was MAYBE 50 % IMO!

Not trying to argue with you, as I am sure electric makes sense for many, but its not 90%

e vehicles maybe what will be in the future, but were still far from ready for it to take over, be it in 5 yrs or 10, I don;t see it being main stream as ICE vehicles are now with fill ups and owner ship needs and wants being meet,, it will all take time to make happen and MONEY,(and again what about all that lost $$ for road ways, that fuel taxes paid?? that always seems to be missing talk when talking how there so great for all things??, will the savings be worth them when all the costs are added in, building infrastructure and lost funding for road ways and so on??)

we can all WISH for things, but that doesn;'t make them happen or be true!

ICT Sledder

The vast majority of truck buyers do not do Truck Things with their trucks. The tenish percent or less that do Truck Things will continue to use ICE vehicles. They are not the target market. The fact that new Lightning and the soon to be coming Silverado, Hummer and Dodge Ram are not good tow vehicles makes absolutely no difference. All of them are sold out for the next two years. At least. The towing stories are real and have been around for over a year already. It makes absolutely no difference. Electrics make sense for over 90 percent of the population. Right now. In less than five years nearly all two car families will have one of them be an EV. Because it will make economic sense.

Everyone posting to this forum does "truck things" with their truck, to state the patently obvious. Almost everyone I know with a full size truck has something they tow with it.

Please provide some statistics showing that the demand for EV's matches what you claim, and what the government is forcing upon us. I can easily find statistics indicating that the US public appetite for EV's does not match the government mandate, or even close. Even remotely close. That small volumes of boutique EV offerings are selling out to people who are less than pragmatic and need to virtue signal proves absolutely nothing.

I could care less what powers my daily driver, or for that matter my tow vehicle. I'm not a luddite afraid of progress. I'm a consumer, and as such my decisions are driven by cost-benefit. In the cost-benefit context EV's are possibly the most nonsensical durable consumer good ever foisted upon the US buyer. At least at this point in time, and until battery technology does its equivalent of sending a man to the moon it will stay that way. EV's are almost exclusively for folks who live in high density urban areas, and never leave those high density urban areas.

timo

You are absolutely drunk on the kool aid if you think in a mere 5 years 90% of two car homes are going to have an ev.
Your off by about 87%

katden4

Think about this for a second. The government wants all electric, and how excited were they to find out the #1 pick up manufacture now has an all electric pick up. But it doesn't do what we buy pick ups to do? Simple term for that FAKE NEWS. Sorry but I personally will not accept what they are trying to sell everyone, government or Ford. I am not afraid of change at all, it just has to work, this one for me does not. Rubbing two sticks together would have been a better name for it. Sorry, not for me at all.

I bought a 2022 F-150 Hybred. When I was ther I looked at a Platinum F-150 Lighting it did not even have leather seating. Cost was & $94,000 + $30,000 market adjustment.

i expect a major change in political power during the 2022 midterms and then in 2024. This change will result in a much more friendly approach to the fossil fuel industry. In turn, it will cause a more sane speed in the push for getting consumers to move into “non-fossil fueled“ vehicles.

mrbb

i expect a major change in political power during the 2022 midterms and then in 2024. This change will result in a much more friendly approach to the fossil fuel industry. In turn, it will cause a more sane speed in the push for getting consumers to move into “non-fossil fueled“ vehicles.
I hope there is a big change, but honestly I think things are going to be a lot closer than many believe they will be
the republicans and the abortion stand they have on it, is like a anchor to there party
and could be a big problem come voting time!

add in , the morons you only have to pick from, its a shame , that these people, are the best we have for the parties and position's there running for! !

then add in how many morons are in the country any more!!

I sadly fear things are going to be pretty close !~

G

G

It will make no difference whatsoever whoever is in charge. For two reasons. One being all that happens nowadays is you trade one idiot for another. We elect incompetent people at best and corrupt people at worst . Nobody honest or smart wants to be in charge of this mess. The second being the transition to electric is a worldwide thing. There is no stopping it now. Far too much money has been invested for it to be derailed.

united

Rest of the world? I did a quick check so the numbers may be a little off but China gets 55% of it energy from coal and India gets 80% of its energy from coal.

whitedust

It will make no difference whatsoever whoever is in charge. For two reasons. One being all that happens nowadays is you trade one idiot for another. We elect incompetent people at best and corrupt people at worst . Nobody honest or smart wants to be in charge of this mess. The second being the transition to electric is a worldwide thing. There is no stopping it now. Far too much money has been invested for it to be derailed.
I don’t think anyone wants to derail EV just need to have a legitimate transition plan. Cheap oil slows down the transition to a gradual cut to electric. It’s obvious that eliminating domestic oil and refining was a big mistake that blew up inflation. There is only so much oil reserves left to realease to manipulate the price of gasoline and it will skyrocket again. Republicans will try and reverse a lot of things the dems have done that have damaged our economy. People buy cars not the government and EVs currently have limitations as you have already admitted with the purchase of your Lightening. I want a truck to be a truck not a grocery getter and EV trucks not ready for prime time yet. They will get there but not yet. I’m still very interested in your experience with the Lightening even if nothing more than a short tripper. Your experience and time will tell.

mrbb

I'll agree and dis agree, p[ending what idiot is in charge can change the way things are being pushed or driven!

if say a new leader gets in and opens back up the oil line's and that lowers costs of fuel and many other things
the desire to go to E vehicles might dissipate from the general public a lot more than, its at now!
as after all if there isn;t enough demand from the general population, things will fail!
it takes consumers to buy things to make them stay alive
and lie it or not
e vehicles are a very SMALL portion of vehicles on the road now and a LOT of folks ain;t that interested in them either!

a lot of so called GET inventions came and went bye bye, due to lack of folks wanting them

this E vehicle deal, happening now, is what it is, more or less due to its being PUSHED by officials
its not like its being demanded by a majority of the population! , or not IMO any how!

a lot of tech has come and gone , pretty fast in the past few decades,!
and E vehicles have been about 2+ decades now, and that "DEMAND" was never there, till again, its being PUSHED hard by current leaders! NOT the public demanding it
in part due to flaws they had and STILL have!, if we can be honest!

and that doesn;t even include the power infrastructure issue's that are also still here!, that are a real problem for things to go forward into the masses!

kind of still like counting the chickens before the eggs hatch,
so things could go back to zero pretty fast , rather than full steam ahead, pending what idiot again is in charge HAHA!~!

pclark

For it to be a worldwide thing it sure is kind of a mess. How they are going about bringing it is not sitting well with people, you can't just demand that people go out and invest this amount of money in an EV. I think that is what people are saying, don't tell us how great this concept is when we get actual info that says for some people it doesn't live up to their expectations. This is not the way to bring a new product to market, if it was there would be more than 1 million EV's in the US. EV's have been around since 1895, however, it was 2008 before the first Tesla was delivered. So 14 years later only 1 million EV's are in existence. It could have been different but this administration blew it by forcing their Green Energy Policy on us and it will only set back whatever momentum that it had. By the way, I'm not totally against EV's but I will wait until they prove themselves for where I live and what I need to see as far as performance from them.

G

G

I don’t think anyone wants to derail EV just need to have a legitimate transition plan. Cheap oil slows down the transition to a gradual cut to electric. It’s obvious that eliminating domestic oil and refining was a big mistake that blew up inflation. There is only so much oil reserves left to realease to manipulate the price of gasoline and it will skyrocket again. Republicans will try and reverse a lot of things the dems have done that have damaged our economy. People buy cars not the government and EVs currently have limitations as you have already admitted with the purchase of your Lightening. I want a truck to be a truck not a grocery getter and EV trucks not ready for prime time yet. They will get there but not yet. I’m still very interested in your experience with the Lightening even if nothing more than a short tripper. Your experience and time will tell.
The main reason for our current high energy prices is Covid. Supply and demand got severely jolted and still have not balanced out. The main reason for supply chain issues that we still have is Covid. You can't go from 100 to 20 and then back up to 100 in the blink of an eye. The system is too complicated. And the reason we have the current regime is Covid. Mr Trump lost the most winnable elections ever. Had he said in May 2019 that it would be a good idea for everyone to wear masks until we get a handle on this thing he would have won in a landslide. So now we have what we have. If it wasn't so terrifying it would be funny.

whitedust

The main reason for our current high energy prices is Covid. Supply and demand got severely jolted and still have not balanced out. The main reason for supply chain issues that we still have is Covid. You can't go from 100 to 20 and then back up to 100 in the blink of an eye. The system is too complicated. And the reason we have the current regime is Covid. Mr Trump lost the most winnable elections ever. Had he said in May 2019 that it would be a good idea for everyone to wear masks until we get a handle on this thing he would have won in a landslide. So now we have what we have. If it wasn't so terrifying it would be funny.
It doesn’t help when Biden says he ways to
stop the use of oil and fossil fuel, limits oil leases , shuts down the keystone pipeline and today says Ma And Pa don’t price gouge at the pump in FL. Lol. Everyone’s at fault but him. Sure Covid hurt but well past time to make adjustments to get business back on track plus Joe says the Pandemic is over.