Information On 2019 Releases??

ridindirty800

Observant BRP riders saw this train coming since the Can-Am Maverick Turbo side-by-side models were launched based on the 900 ACE engine. However, Ski-Doo officials stressed that this version was specifically designed with snowmobiles in mind. Also important, 24 components in the 900 ACE engine was completely redesigned for the power boost – including the piston, cylinder head, connecting rod, crankshaft, exhaust valves, injectors, water pump, plenum, oil pump and much more.

The compact turbocharger itself is completely from Rotax. It features a small, nickel-alloy turbine that spins at speeds up to 200,000 RPM – or 3,333 revolutions per second – to create 12 PSI of boost pressure. Ski-Doo officials stressed that the positioning of the turbo – right next to the exhaust manifold and intake – helps eliminate turbo lag and create immediate response.

Designed to be robust, the turbocharger is oil lubricated and water cooled, with low-friction journal bearings and a shielded manifold. In fact, it has passed Rotax’s validation testing at temperatures up to 980 degrees Celsius. Ski-Doo officials said the 900 ACE Turbo engine package weighs the same as the 1200 4-TEC, but with 20 additional ponies, all while maintaining best-in-class fuel economy (up to 19.8 MPG). And, like Ski-Doo’s other four strokes, it will use Ski-Doo’s unique throttle-by-wire system called intelligent Throttle Control (iTC), giving the rider a choice in their machine’s acceleration curve between the Sport, Standard and Economy modes.

During a brief test ride in Quebec, we found the engine provided very impressive power with typical Rotax sewing-machine run quality and no noticeable turbo lag or waste gate noise. The new 950 ACE Turbo will be available in Renegade Adrenaline, X, X-RS and Enduro models plus the new Grand Touring Limited, all in the new REV Gen4 wide-body layout (more on that in a bit).

Little more info on this. Would really like to know how much boost a tune would allow.

Not sure how much more boost you can get but heard from many places looking at specs they think 200HP + can be done.

1fujifilm

Like Ski-Doo’s other four strokes, it will use Ski-Doo’s unique throttle-by-wire system called intelligent Throttle Control (iTC), giving the rider a choice in their machine’s acceleration curve between the Sport, Standard and Economy modes.

What up Mo Money, where you been,

I hope the ITC is tuned/programmed a bit better than on the non-turbo 900 as that is what kept me from being a fan. I rode my friends for over 100 miles and the throttle pull was not very linear and seemed to require 75% or more throttle pull to get the thing to move at a similar rate as my (at the time) 600 E-tec Rene when the first powerband would kick in at 7,000 RPM's.
I guess it could have been the combo of 900 ACE powerband and clutching too?

Bear

momoney2123

What up Mo Money, where you been,

I hope the ITC is tuned/programmed a bit better than on the non-turbo 900 as that is what kept me from being a fan. I rode my friends for over 100 miles and the throttle pull was not very linear and seemed to require 75% or more throttle pull to get the thing to move at a similar rate as my (at the time) 600 E-tec Rene when the first powerband would kick in at 7,000 RPM's.
I guess it could have been the combo of 900 ACE powerband and clutching too?

Bear

Im not a fan of it on the 900ace as well. it is better on the 1200 I rode. I like the idea of this turbo sled but am not going to spring order one this year. I am in love with the 850, and gona need to ride one before I will let it go. I also wana see what kind of power they put out. stock its not gona beat an 850 and if im gona give up the weight and feel of the 850 would want more power in return out of 4s turbo. time will tell. hoping someone I know buys one.

whitedust

Observant BRP riders saw this train coming since the Can-Am Maverick Turbo side-by-side models were launched based on the 900 ACE engine. However, Ski-Doo officials stressed that this version was specifically designed with snowmobiles in mind. Also important, 24 components in the 900 ACE engine was completely redesigned for the power boost – including the piston, cylinder head, connecting rod, crankshaft, exhaust valves, injectors, water pump, plenum, oil pump and much more.

The compact turbocharger itself is completely from Rotax. It features a small, nickel-alloy turbine that spins at speeds up to 200,000 RPM – or 3,333 revolutions per second – to create 12 PSI of boost pressure. Ski-Doo officials stressed that the positioning of the turbo – right next to the exhaust manifold and intake – helps eliminate turbo lag and create immediate response.

Designed to be robust, the turbocharger is oil lubricated and water cooled, with low-friction journal bearings and a shielded manifold. In fact, it has passed Rotax’s validation testing at temperatures up to 980 degrees Celsius. Ski-Doo officials said the 900 ACE Turbo engine package weighs the same as the 1200 4-TEC, but with 20 additional ponies, all while maintaining best-in-class fuel economy (up to 19.8 MPG). And, like Ski-Doo’s other four strokes, it will use Ski-Doo’s unique throttle-by-wire system called intelligent Throttle Control (iTC), giving the rider a choice in their machine’s acceleration curve between the Sport, Standard and Economy modes.

During a brief test ride in Quebec, we found the engine provided very impressive power with typical Rotax sewing-machine run quality and no noticeable turbo lag or waste gate noise. The new 950 ACE Turbo will be available in Renegade Adrenaline, X, X-RS and Enduro models plus the new Grand Touring Limited, all in the new REV Gen4 wide-body layout (more on that in a bit).

Little more info on this. Would really like to know how much boost a tune would allow.

I'll take a look at Sneak peek in Wausau see what I think hands on of total sled engine and G4 wide. Bud priced 900T his way was $18,500... IDK lots to consider with other 4s and lots of doo tech with turbos to consider. Last thing 4strokers want are engine problems. Thanks for input.

momoney2123

I'll take a look at Sneak peek in Wausau see what I think hands on of total sled engine and G4 wide. Bud priced 900T his way was $18,500... IDK lots to consider with other 4s and lots of doo tech with turbos to consider. Last thing 4strokers want are engine problems. Thanks for input.

It is roughly the same price as a 850, few hundred more. That price is not accurate unless he put 3k worth of accessories and labor into it. MSRP on website for a XRS....aka the most expensive model is around 16k. Spring order will go 1000-1500 off that. If I was getting a 900 turbo, it would be an X model, black. guessing can be had for 13,200+tax.

Cant be afraid of the monster under the bed. My worry is not reliability with the new turbo. my worry is if I would regret selling the 850 for it.

whitedust

It is roughly the same price as a 850, few hundred more. That price is not accurate unless he put 3k worth of accessories and labor into it. MSRP on website for a XRS....aka the most expensive model is around 16k. Spring order will go 1000-1500 off that. If I was getting a 900 turbo, it would be an X model, black. guessing can be had for 13,200+tax.

Cant be afraid of the monster under the bed. My worry is not reliability with the new turbo. my worry is if I would regret selling the 850 for it.

He buys everything loaded I would too but no real idea of specs he built. Lots to discover about 900t and no idea how the package rides but first I have to believe in the tech. Best I can say now is interesting worth looking further waiting to see what Yam and Cat will do as well? Polaris not getting into 4s so out of the game for me.

journeyman

Sounds like the Cat release is Feb. 25th and Yamaha March 6th, 9 days later....last year they were both on the 27th of Feb.

Haven't been able to find the Polaris official full release date yet....

durphee

Mo, I can't blame you for wanting to keep the 850, its a very impressive sled. Rode one for an hour or so, coming off my 17 Assault, and was highly impressed. The sled can make a bad rider look good, one of the easiest sleds to ride.

momoney2123

Mo, I can't blame you for wanting to keep the 850, its a very impressive sled. Rode one for an hour or so, coming off my 17 Assault, and was highly impressed. The sled can make a bad rider look good, one of the easiest sleds to ride.

Its hard not to love the 850. its been 2500+ miles of pure joy.

Still hoping doo brings a mach Z. But If the tuners can get 210+ out of this 900 I think I will have to try one. only time will tell.

durphee

Just a question....do you think 210 hp would be a bit much for trail riding? I have never ridden a sidewinder but it just seems like an overload of power? Just seems my 800 and the 850 even have almost too much power..

momoney2123

Just a question....do you think 210 hp would be a bit much for trail riding? I have never ridden a sidewinder but it just seems like an overload of power? Just seems my 800 and the 850 even have almost too much power..

Never have to much power IMO. Just cause u have 200+ doesn't mean your always using it. We do lot of lake racing so power is always wanted.

I rode a 1200 turbo with around 300 HP for a day down the trail and it was fun....Not gona lie. It did get heavy but still fun. If the 900 could have 200ish with even remotely as light feeling as an 850 it will be a success.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Wanted to stay out of this, because I know where it's going....but couldn't resist.
I think you're nuts with 200+ HP on any trail. (esp at $15K+) I was nuts with 150 HP Apex. Totally unnecessary, and lake running is boring. zzzzzzzzzzz
If you want that much HP, buy your favorite chassis, yank the motor and build it to your specs....then head to the local race track. But stay off the trails with that brand of "loony-tunes".
Flame away.

journeyman

Wanted to stay out of this, because I know where it's going....but couldn't resist.
I think you're nuts with 200+ HP on any trail. (esp at $15K+) I was nuts with 150 HP Apex. Totally unnecessary, and lake running is boring. zzzzzzzzzzz
If you want that much HP, buy your favorite chassis, yank the motor and build it to your specs....then head to the local race track. But stay off the trails with that brand of "loony-tunes".
Flame away.

It's the person riding it. I see plenty of idiots with no trail etiquette flying down the trails with much lesser HP machines. They use no signals to how many are in their group, don't slow down into oncoming traffic, stay out in the middle instead of backing out of the throttle when passing, drive too fast in snow dust, don't stop at stop signs.........the list goes on.

I rode with 2 Sidewinders a couple weeks ago in the UP, one stock and one flashed. They rode completely sensible.

journeyman

I'm sure Doo will get right on trying to address the concerns of 1% of the sled buying crowd.

There's a reason the 4s segment is lower percent buying crowd......THEY DON'T BLOW UP!! Unlike the E-Tec's...likely part of the reason Ski Doo sells so much. They blow up, gotta get a new one every few years. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. BTW, the 850 block is on back order as we speak.

Why don't you just tell us how much you love S-D and hate Yamaha....I think your biased opinion is pretty obvious.

old abe

whitedust, you surprise me, as not haveing looked into Rotax's history of 4-stroke engines, engineering, and production. Perhaps you should now??? They have been at it for many, many years. Many more than Yamaha, no harm intended. Na, supercharged, and turbocharged. Very, very highly respected as aircraft power goes. I don't see there 4 stroke snowmobiles engines taking a backseat to any of the others. I went from Poo to Doo. Reason being, Doo was willing to go forward on snowmobiles, and engine development when the others where not. Remember the 2- stroke engine will be gone??? Not hardly!!! 2- strokes and snowmobiles are a natural, and always willbe as I see it. I had always thought Yamaha would lead the future of the 4 stroke snowmobiles, as in a full lineup of sleds, as they once did. I waited for a "all new Yamaha", lighter, well balanced/handling snowmobile. No dice. I'm thankful Doo has pushed on, and brought the others mfg's to keep developing also. Rotax 4-stroke engines is the least you need to be concerned with. I realize your past problems with 2-stroke engines, bad blood, and hard to forget. But you need to compare apples to apples.

dfattack

He buys everything loaded I would too but no real idea of specs he built. Lots to discover about 900t and no idea how the package rides but first I have to believe in the tech. Best I can say now is interesting worth looking further waiting to see what Yam and Cat will do as well? Polaris not getting into 4s so out of the game for me.

Yes, I added the LED lights, storage, high windshield with side deflectors, etc. it was $18,100. to me, lighting is key if you are going to run hard at night.

whitedust

whitedust, you surprise me, as not haveing looked into Rotax's history of 4-stroke engines, engineering, and production. Perhaps you should now??? They have been at it for many, many years. Many more than Yamaha, no harm intended. Na, supercharged, and turbocharged. Very, very highly respected as aircraft power goes. I don't see there 4 stroke snowmobiles engines taking a backseat to any of the others. I went from Poo to Doo. Reason being, Doo was willing to go forward on snowmobiles, and engine development when the others where not. Remember the 2- stroke engine will be gone??? Not hardly!!! 2- strokes and snowmobiles are a natural, and always willbe as I see it. I had always thought Yamaha would lead the future of the 4 stroke snowmobiles, as in a full lineup of sleds, as they once did. I waited for a "all new Yamaha", lighter, well balanced/handling snowmobile. No dice. I'm thankful Doo has pushed on, and brought the others mfg's to keep developing also. Rotax 4-stroke engines is the least you need to be concerned with. I realize your past problems with 2-stroke engines, bad blood, and hard to forget. But you need to compare apples to apples.

IDK old able I have been looking past all this bad blood stuff you keep harping about and I never said 1 bad word about Rotax or doo that was not part of my direct experience with their products. I always said doo makes great sleds but their low power 4s to date are not for me. The 900t is not your grandfathers ACE engine and why I asked and mo momoney knows exactly why I asked and responded well. I know all about ACE 600 and 900 plus 1200 that is being discontinued just not interesting to me at low HP could care less about 600 2s or smaller not something I would purchase either. You love your NA Ace so great good for you not enough HP for me to ever consider where Yamaha has and had engines where I want to be upwards of 150 hp and now doo is in there with a very high tech turbo 900 so I'll be looking into the doo turbo engine see imo if it has been engineered to produce an extra 55hp which is no small task for any OEM. Ok we straight now?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I added the LED lights, storage, high windshield with side deflectors, etc. it was $18,100. to me, lighting is key if you are going to run hard at night.

Yep you know I like bright lights why you lead at night no other way to go load sleds up only way to buy new! lol

dothedoo

There's a reason the 4s segment is lower percent buying crowd......THEY DON'T BLOW UP!! Unlike the E-Tec's...likely part of the reason Ski Doo sells so much. They blow up, gotta get a new one every few years. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. BTW, the 850 block is on back order as we speak.

Why don't you just tell us how much you love S-D and hate Yamaha....I think your biased opinion is pretty obvious.

lol...I think most intelligent people knew by "1%", I was referring to the tiny market for 200+ hp sleds.

My biased opinion comes from Ski Doo building better 4s then Yam since 09. It's not that complicated.

journeyman

lol...I think most intelligent people knew by "1%", I was referring to the tiny market for 200+ hp sleds.

My biased opinion comes from Ski Doo building better 4s then Yam since 09. It's not that complicated.

Better? Do you even own one of the slow Doo 4 strokes?

If the 1200 is better why did they drop it? Heck they didn’t even build it 100%. I think any intelligent person knows that.

btw, big HP sells, I know of a good 10-12 guys just in my area that bought Winders or TCats, about half came off of Ski Doo.

If SD had a big HP turbo guys like yourself would be beating your chest....best thing ever!!

Last edited: