John I'm a little Disappointed..................

xcr440

It is VERY difficult to buy an "American" car these days.

I don't know what the numbers are now, but as many as 15 or 20 years ago already, the Ford Crown Victoria (Top choice for Police cruiser) was almost 90% foreign built. (Yes, Canada and Mexico count).

On the other hand, ALL Honda's have been built in the US for 10+ years (Last one I owned was a 1994 Prelude that was not).

Point being, almost EVERYTHING has a foriegn something to it.

It would be hard pressed to tell those employees of the Honda Manufacturing plants across the US to "Buy American" without them feeling some pride in that statement, because they feel like they are.

russholio

And if domestic auto manufacturers care so much about "buying American", then why do they all have stakes in FOREIGN auto manufacturers? (or at least, they did at one time)

yamahauler

I agree...buy what works for you.

I had two Malibu's. Wife totaled 06 out in Oct. Went looking for a new car and found a 09 Hyundai Sonata Ltd. We drove everything...Camry was junk, Accord was good but way too stiff of suspension, I still can't believe the Camry was as crappy as it was. The Malibu was so-so but was not fond of the government motors this time. The Fusion just didn't fit us well. So we went with the Hyundai and ended up getting an awesome deal. The fit in finish was 110% better than ford, gm, or toyota. The ride was pretty comfy. Gas mileage was good with the engine we got. For the price and oh ya, did I mention the 100K bumper to bumper, yes bumper to bumper warranty as well. There is not a chance in he(( that gm or ford would even touch that warranty without you paying 2500 or more. When I go to buy again, I will look at supposedly American made, but they have to step it up or they won't have me back as a customer.

Oh ya, did I mention the car is made in Alabama....would that be considered American made...I would believe so.

Until those CEO's get the greed out of their back pocket, they are gonna fail!

mattus

Just wondering if Mattus has the balls to go up to people at a gas station, who are driving a foreign car, and tell THEM how dissapointed he is that they did not buy an American owned car? I bet not.

No face to face confrontation on the internet.

Skylar, you bet I got the balls to call anybody out on what I strongly believe in that includes a FACE to FACE confrontation. That what this country was built the sweat and blood of Patriots

Bring it on, I'M READY ARE YOU!

I am not a big buy American guy, but I do think it is important to support US goods. The problem isn't buying American it is American companies out sourcing all the manufacturing to other countries. So if you buy an American made products they may be assembled here but all the parts are being made in Mexico and China due to the labor costs and material costs.
As a side not China has more excess Steel production capabilities than the US has available.. Now grant it the whole country may die from black lung and other related air quality issue.
It no longer seems like the US will have a infrastructure to be self supporting anymore.

chadlyt

Here is your trophy for an awesome forum topic given to you from another stand up guy.

Attachments

• trophy.jpg
    trophy.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 33

wags

Why do we have so many colors to choose from when it comes to automobiles in this country? Why you ask, because we are not a Communist country that’s why!

Maybe over the years the Unions should have expanded their influence overseas or across the borders to keep a level playing field so big business wouldn't leave our shores for cheaper labor. Maybe big business should not have lined their own pockets with our sweat equity. Maybe the big bankers shouldn't give themselves the big bonuses they do and plan to this year.

I can go on and on but the bottom line is this, we live in the land of the free where you can choose where you live, work and play. The land where we have clean drinking water and food to eat, where we can choose how where our children get educated.
The land where you can freely choose your religion and lastly where we as the people can choose who run's this great nation.

Maybe we all made a mistake when we choose our career paths, we all should have been politicians. Who drives them? Who gasses their cars? Who pays for their Health Care? Who pays for their lodging and travel?

Boy hindsight is truly 20/20.

Be proud to be an American someone who has the right to choose I know I am!

rsvectordude

I don't blame John at all. I have bought American made vehicles my entire life but no more. My last 2 GM vehicles have been basically junk and the sticker on both of them was over $40,000. I for one am going to spend my hard earned money on the best product with no concern on where it was made. If the foreign automakers can get workers for $12/hr versus $25/hr more power to them it good business. I might still try a Ford since I have never owned one but GM and Dodge products will never be part of my stable ever again.

anonomoose

Something to think about....

Nice hot button topic!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This is a very complex issue…if you think about it, and as such there isn’t one answer that fits.<o:p></o:p>
If you read over the post you will see that most fit either into one pile or the other that is they either are okay with buying outside the big 3 or they are not. Buy American, or buy whatever suits you the best.<o:p></o:p>
Let’s respond to this with some questions:<o:p></o:p>
A) Should we be concerned with the great industrial shift out of America to third world countries?<o:p></o:p>
B) Should we concentrate on what is best for America’s future, aka, our children’s future…what will we leave them? Where will all this shuffling lead and will it put them at advantage, disadvantaged, or unchanged?<o:p></o:p>
C) Will the scaling down of wages, which we can obviously see happening right now mean a widening of the wealthy and poorer classes? Do you think that once the pay classes’ shrink as they are now doing, can it have an impact on your children’s lives, and your great grandchildren’s lives?<o:p></o:p>
D) If the wages shrink then either product prices have to shrink with them or fewer products will be purchased, right? Things will become unaffordable. So how will this impact your kid’s ability to live a life and buy a snowmobile someday, or even purchase a home?<o:p></o:p>
E) Can we all make a living at a comfortable wage if third world countries are simply happy to do these jobs at a scale that is 1/10<SUP>th</SUP> of the wages many now make in this country?<o:p></o:p>
F) What will the engineers and industrialists do when they find themselves out of a job and can’t find one in this country in the field they have spent their entire life building upon?<o:p></o:p>
Anyone who doesn’t see the changes that are happening right now, fall into the Me, Myself and I, category and are unable or unwilling to look at the long range plan for this country.<o:p></o:p>
History has many examples of the Me, I process with short term profit, at the expense of the next and succeeding generations. Corporate greed satisfies the stockholders often at the expense of the population in general. Examples are the Sea Lamprey; clearing ALL the white pine; railroads that stomped on the rights of others…buffalo shot without a thought, the list is nearly endless. Exploitation of cheap labor was the norm in THIS country only a hundred years ago, with protection laws bringing a balance back to the middle.<o:p></o:p>
Is the global economy we are all so eager to usher in, healthy or wise for America?<o:p></o:p>
Does buying American made products help or hinder this process? Do you even care if your neighbor has a job after the dust settles? Can we collectively STOP the inflow of cheaply made products into America? Will it help us in the long run? Does it matter what kind of life your children’s children will have? If you have ever traveled to Germany, you don’t see many “import” products being purchased there. Why?<o:p></o:p>
Does producing cars and trucks in the USA, mean that the company is American?<o:p></o:p>
Does importing components from cheap labor markets and installing them in a Big 3 company keep the company domestic? Will the price stay the same or will the price of the product fall to match the higher profit on the cheaper labor import? If the price does NOT fall, who will buy the products and will only the wealthy be the buyers of products that are not necessary to sustain life?<o:p></o:p>
Change will occur…. we can control some of it by how we think and how we react to that change.
One thing is for sure, and this is we all need to get our heads around what is happening and take time to understand the ramifications of it all. If we don’t we should consider ourselves, cattle being prodded and fenced and we will have no right to complain at all.

yamadooed

Global economies rock!!! Without it I'd be drink'n a cup of hot water wait'n for my american fuel to be delivered...

firez10

I felt I had to chime in on this one. As far as the Foreign Quality goes its no different than any of the big three. I worked as a mechanic putting myself through college. The dealership that I worked at sold GM, Honda and being in a University town I got to work on many of the other foreign cars as I was a trained Honda mechanic. Their quality in my opinion was no better than any of the others. The 1.8 so called bullet proof Honda motors would throw a timing belt and take out the valves and heads on these cars at 60,000 to 80,000 miles, they also went through head gaskets at the 100,000 mile mark on a regular basis.

Now I have owned GM vehicles since before I was old enough to drive and have had my share of misfortune but I will say dollar for dollar I have not spent near the money for repairs that my family and friends have on their Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans etc…

My fiancé is an Acura owner and over the last five years and roughly 85,000 miles I have replaced a complete motor 1.8 D.O.H.C. as the head gasket went out which cracked the head and then caused some block damage due to the overheat. The new motor after 50,000 blew the timing belt which bent a few valves. I put a timing belt on and a new head with all new valve train. Replaced an axle in the front and also had to replace a lower control arm just because the bushings were worn, couldn’t buy just the bushing had to replace the whole control arm to replace the bushing ($300.00) for a $5.00 worn part. She still believes that her foreign car is the greatest regardless of what she spends. Her family is from the south and most of them drive Acura’s or Toyota’s and they all have had similar expenses with their cars and trucks. Her father owns a new Tundra and while he was visiting from Texas with it, it wouldn’t start. This truck had less than 2000 miles on it. We took it to a local dealer and it was supposedly fixed. During the month they were here that truck spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. He used my 2001 2500 HD during this time and when he left for Alaska he wanted to take my truck, I told him no way. He has since been having trouble with his Tundra holding a charge and intermittingly he will have all the lights go out inside and out. I bring this up only to show that it doesn’t matter what you buy it can happen to anyone.

I have had in my past these cars and will state mileage for each one.

1976 Olds 98 – 160,000 no major probs – made it a demolition derby car
1974 Olds Cutlass – 180,000 basic maintenance no major prob. Turned it into a circle track car
1987 Chevrolet Silverado ½ ton lifted 8” when new – 250,000 no problems, best truck ever.
1984 GMC Sierra ¾ ton – New engine at 150,000 but this truck was a company tow truck its whole life. Still have this one for playing in the mud. 200,000 and going strong.
2001 Chevrolet S-10 4x4 – bought it w/80,000 and sold it with 160,000 still going strong – basic maintenance.
1994 GMC Yukon GT – Bought with 140,000 miles as a tow vehicle, sold it with 249,000 on it and it still is on the road, no problems, basic maintenance.
2001 Chevrolet 2500 HD 85,000 no problems at all.
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 147,000 miles and is my daily driver, and have only spent minimal $ on maintenance.

I drive anywhere from 60 to 300 miles a day in all weather and have no major problems. Everyone is entitled to what they chose to drive but for me I will stick with what put food on my table as a child. My father worked for local GM dealerships and my step father worked for GM. My step father drove a Ford and that was his choice, being a GM employee he got a lot ribbing for that but to each his own.

We as Americans just need to stick together, voice our opinions to our Gov’t and vote according to what is best for our citizens. Only we can make change and by bickering about what everyone should do, buy, and where to work, etc… we are only making it easier for other countries to supersede us. There are too many laws and regulations which are slowly taking away our freedoms.

Sorry for the rant but this one FIRED me up a little. Buy what works for you and your family, don’t try to convince me that I should buy what you want and certainly we need to stick together as Americans. It has become a “its all about me society” instead of helping neighbors, looking out for one another and being united. Until we all can work towards a common goal we will continue down the road to which we currently track. I currently work in a professional position and no longer work blue collar, but if and when I get to a position that can make a difference you can bet I will never forget where I came from!!!!!

snow_monkey

I will not try to guess where all my toys come from. Almost all the toys have parts from overseas. Congrats on your purchase John sounds nice.

fcat700

I'm sure I will get bashed for saying this but here it goes short and to the point.............

John I was a little disappointed to hear that your new vehicle was a Honda, being the our Michigan economy is in the toilet I feel it ever so important to support our BIG 3 manufactures, I'm sure many guys and gals that visit this sight are either employed by the one of the BIG 3 car company’s or work as a Tier 1 or 2 to them, myself I work for a Tier 1.
Every time I look to make a major purchase I do my best to try and find it made in the USA.

And I know some guys will claim quality but I don’t buy that for one minute, the quality in USA made cars are second to none, I would stack a GM or Ford to a forgin car any day hands down......

Just my 2 cents.......................................

Please re-read mattus post. Some of you need to back off a little with the confrontation. Good grief Skylar asking if "he as the balls"? Re-read this then check yourself.

whitedust

Being John Dee is a tuffer job than I thought. Weather forecast does not work & you could say he got it wrong. John shares details of his life & suddenly he got that wrong too. The Pilot is a fine car perfect for him & his family. I say John be excited about your new car purchase & buy exactly what you want. Take in that new car smell & enjoy the experince of your new Honda. I think you made an excellent choice!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clear a couple of things up:

I never stated that I though any of the big three were un-reliable. I said we needed to find a new main vehicle because the Blazer has 220,000 miles on it and I worry that something major could go at any minute on it. So I was not blaming the vehicle, but the miles on it. A vehicle with 220,000 miles is not something I want to drive my family around in or have Nora driving to work alone in every day.

We also STILL HAVE TWO GM vehicles sitting in the driveway and when it comes time to replace them with a new truck for me, it will be one of the big three as I believe they still make superior trucks.

I'm glad that everyone is keeping this pretty civil and am glad that the debate can go on.

Still waiting on that answer to how telling someone else how to live their life is American!

-John

adam_k

I think this is such a big deal because the big 3 or whatever they are called now are so vital to Michigan, and lately Michigan has been dying. Growing up in the MI culture you just didn’t buy an import brand, regardless of where it was assembled. I think that until those car companies can convince a buyer such as John to consider their products, they will remain in trouble.

harvest1121

Still waiting on that answer to how telling someone else how to live their life is American!

-John

That is part of being in a union you have to do what your told and the union is the best. I like when people get all union yes and you ask if they do side jobs and they are the first inline to do them but a small company without union workers they are the first to be out there and pickett. Adam you said they have to build the product and show they are better

Firecatguy

Just to clear a couple of things up:

I never stated that I though any of the big three were un-reliable. I said we needed to find a new main vehicle because the Blazer has 220,000 miles on it and I worry that something major could go at any minute on it. So I was not blaming the vehicle, but the miles on it. A vehicle with 220,000 miles is not something I want to drive my family around in or have Nora driving to work alone in every day.

We also STILL HAVE TWO GM vehicles sitting in the driveway and when it comes time to replace them with a new truck for me, it will be one of the big three as I believe they still make superior trucks.

I'm glad that everyone is keeping this pretty civil and am glad that the debate can go on.

-John

well John it seems the "NEW" America dont like profits and like to tell you how to live!!!just look at the actions of this admistration we have right now!!!

I for one cant belive alot of these coments...wounder how some of you would like if I came by your house and told you how to live.....what do you think?I could start with the food you eat then we can take a look at how you raise you children!!LOL

AMERICA===FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!

mattus

I felt I had to chime in on this one. As far as the Foreign Quality goes its no different than any of the big three. I worked as a mechanic putting myself through college. The dealership that I worked at sold GM, Honda and being in a University town I got to work on many of the other foreign cars as I was a trained Honda mechanic. Their quality in my opinion was no better than any of the others. The 1.8 so called bullet proof Honda motors would throw a timing belt and take out the valves and heads on these cars at 60,000 to 80,000 miles, they also went through head gaskets at the 100,000 mile mark on a regular basis.

Now I have owned GM vehicles since before I was old enough to drive and have had my share of misfortune but I will say dollar for dollar I have not spent near the money for repairs that my family and friends have on their Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans etc…

My fiancé is an Acura owner and over the last five years and roughly 85,000 miles I have replaced a complete motor 1.8 D.O.H.C. as the head gasket went out which cracked the head and then caused some block damage due to the overheat. The new motor after 50,000 blew the timing belt which bent a few valves. I put a timing belt on and a new head with all new valve train. Replaced an axle in the front and also had to replace a lower control arm just because the bushings were worn, couldn’t buy just the bushing had to replace the whole control arm to replace the bushing ($300.00) for a $5.00 worn part. She still believes that her foreign car is the greatest regardless of what she spends. Her family is from the south and most of them drive Acura’s or Toyota’s and they all have had similar expenses with their cars and trucks. Her father owns a new Tundra and while he was visiting from Texas with it, it wouldn’t start. This truck had less than 2000 miles on it. We took it to a local dealer and it was supposedly fixed. During the month they were here that truck spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. He used my 2001 2500 HD during this time and when he left for Alaska he wanted to take my truck, I told him no way. He has since been having trouble with his Tundra holding a charge and intermittingly he will have all the lights go out inside and out. I bring this up only to show that it doesn’t matter what you buy it can happen to anyone.

I have had in my past these cars and will state mileage for each one.

1976 Olds 98 – 160,000 no major probs – made it a demolition derby car
1974 Olds Cutlass – 180,000 basic maintenance no major prob. Turned it into a circle track car
1987 Chevrolet Silverado ½ ton lifted 8” when new – 250,000 no problems, best truck ever.
1984 GMC Sierra ¾ ton – New engine at 150,000 but this truck was a company tow truck its whole life. Still have this one for playing in the mud. 200,000 and going strong.
2001 Chevrolet S-10 4x4 – bought it w/80,000 and sold it with 160,000 still going strong – basic maintenance.
1994 GMC Yukon GT – Bought with 140,000 miles as a tow vehicle, sold it with 249,000 on it and it still is on the road, no problems, basic maintenance.
2001 Chevrolet 2500 HD 85,000 no problems at all.
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 147,000 miles and is my daily driver, and have only spent minimal $ on maintenance.

I drive anywhere from 60 to 300 miles a day in all weather and have no major problems. Everyone is entitled to what they chose to drive but for me I will stick with what put food on my table as a child. My father worked for local GM dealerships and my step father worked for GM. My step father drove a Ford and that was his choice, being a GM employee he got a lot ribbing for that but to each his own.

We as Americans just need to stick together, voice our opinions to our Gov’t and vote according to what is best for our citizens. Only we can make change and by bickering about what everyone should do, buy, and where to work, etc… we are only making it easier for other countries to supersede us. There are too many laws and regulations which are slowly taking away our freedoms.

Sorry for the rant but this one FIRED me up a little. Buy what works for you and your family, don’t try to convince me that I should buy what you want and certainly we need to stick together as Americans. It has become a “its all about me society” instead of helping neighbors, looking out for one another and being united. Until we all can work towards a common goal we will continue down the road to which we currently track. I currently work in a professional position and no longer work blue collar, but if and when I get to a position that can make a difference you can bet I will never forget where I came from!!!!!

Well said Firez10, my feelings also, if we don’t stick together we are all domed.................
Hey here a novel thought: maybe if we support our local/ us economy we can get more people back to work in America building and manufacturing American products?

I just can’t see the "I'll do whatever best for me attitudes" When is everyone going to wake up and start supporting and helping one another, that included your "Layed off Autoworker" Sure the UAW has labor and cost issues’ and I think for the most part they are addressing those issues (Hopefully it's not too late) But in the big picture I'm sure all that all the **** means nothing to powers above, it all about looking out for one another.