Make-A-Wish Sled II

skiroule

As John has mentioned in some of his previous journals, Make-A-Wish Sled II will happen for the 2015 Ride-In. It now seems like a good time to tell the story of how the sled came to be and how the build has gone and is going.

Adam (Snoluver1) and I found the first Make-A-Wish sled build to be a very rewarding experience and I don’t think we ever ruled out doing another. We sort of teamed up again when he did the engine work on a build I did last year. I think that just fueled the fire. We talked briefly last spring after John asked about the possibility of doing another and for many reasons we both knew the only answer was to give it a shot.

We decided to do things a little differently this time and not start an early build thread. For one reason, we weren’t sure we could pull it off and since this is the last Ride-In, there was no second chance. We felt a condensed version at the end or near the end of the build would still be of interest.

I have a bunch of photos and as I can get them organized I’ll post a few at a time. I’m sure Adam also has some good ones (I’ve already seen a couple).

We hope you enjoy it and with your help we can make the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary 2015 Ride-In hit it out the park.

mezz

Excellent! You guys did such an exquisite job on the TNT, I could only conclude that you guys were behind the current build. The pictures that John had posted in one of his earlier journals had your names written all over it without having to say who is doing it. Again, excellent looking, & I'm sure that the pictures do not equal seeing it first hand. I am looking forward to seeing it once it can make it here.:cool:-Mezz

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the spy photos, When and where can I buy tickets?

I plan to have a page setup later this week on the site to purchase tickets.

Plus, we are working on some "touring" spots for the sled to be at in the next few months and you will be able to get tickets there too.

-John

skiroule

We did get most of the band back together. It would have been nice to have taken advantage of phazerpilot’s skills again. He did an amazing job on the T’NT hood but the logistics just made it impractical.

With all of life’s twists, turns, and distractions, it seems like it’s pretty tough to get one of these projects done in less than 6 – 8 months so when we decided to go ahead with the project we needed all the jump start edge we could get. I had the makings of the start of a 77 TX which (in my biased opinion) was a good choice anyway. The late 70’s TX models are some of the most popular and highly sought-after sleds in vintage circles.

This is a great little sled: light, surprisingly fast, and, as Rupp Collector once said, they make great riders. Even if you’re not a vintage fan yourself you may know someone who is or who could enjoy having the sled. If I had a man cave garage, I’d keep one in it all the time.

In case you haven’t had time to rummage through John’s journals, here is an updated shot of the sled I took this morning with the bumper stripes and rear bumper added.

Sled_10282014_1_zps8e23f09f.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Wow, does that look great!! Keep the pics coming. :)

toolmaker

I'll have to buy in on this.
My first sled I bought was a '79 TX 340.
Fun little sled to ride, untill the temps rose above 30.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So I am in the planning stages of places to try and showcase the sled up here prior to the Ride-In and am looking for suggestions from you all. I already talked to Don at the Mosquito and he is open to it, as long as it will fit through the front door (door mounted or not!).

Keep in mind that the spot needs to have enough room for the sled, without causing too much disruption to the business. Also, it needs to be able to be moved in and out with relative ease.

-John

Sledhead!

She looks brand spanking new, nice job fellas!

It is also for a great cause, hopefully we get some businesses to allow a stint to raise publicity and sell lots of tickets.

I will be waiting for the online site to be up and operational. I would think something like this would be a great topic for an article in a local paper. If you haven't already, maybe issue a press release and get this covered in the paper or mag article? Perhaps it already is, but with all of the work that is going into this, seems like a no brainer!

mezz

So I am in the planning stages of places to try and showcase the sled up here prior to the Ride-In and am looking for suggestions from you all. I already talked to Don at the Mosquito and he is open to it, as long as it will fit through the front door (door mounted or not!).

Keep in mind that the spot needs to have enough room for the sled, without causing too much disruption to the business. Also, it needs to be able to be moved in and out with relative ease.

-John

Have you checked with Chad @ M&M yet? I would think he would not have a problem showcasing it like last years sled.-Mezz

skiroule

No hot grips – we might throw in a set of choppers.

It is so good to see people fired up about the sled already! There is some good stuff to come, so stay tuned. In the meantime, let’s turn the clock back a bit.

Some of you may remember a similar photo from a little over a year back. These were two parts sleds I picked up at Princeton on a hot, dusty, August afternoon. Little did I know that they would combine to provide some core parts for the Make-A-Wish sled.

DSC_0037_zps5e9f5b33.jpg

One of the sleds had the most tore up chassis I have ever seen so believe it or not, this was the clear choice for the chassis.
This is a sled only a mother could love.

DSC_0151_zpsac20cb9a.jpg

DSC_0152_zps7bd87b68.jpg

jd

Administrator
Staff member
OK folks. GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST! (I will get more printed out if the first 1000 are all sold).

The page to purchase the raffle tickets for the sled is up and running.

CLICK HERE!

-John

Woodtic

Man was that easy.bought tickets and had a receipt in seconds. Great work on the sled and a very smooth way of selling tickets.