Make-A-Wish Sled II

Woodtic

Hey John,I have a meeting on Wed with a few venders. I hope to bring a bunch of auction stuff up next trip. Game on, who can bring more auction stuff than me? I challenge you all!

D

Deleted member 10829

For orders of more than 10 tickets, do you just do multiple orders?

skiroule

Just ordered my ticket. Can't wait to ride that bad-boy!

It could happen. Think your odds are better than the average $200 pull-tab payout.

For orders of more than 10 tickets, do you just do multiple orders?

Didn't know the answer but I liked the question.

A couple of shots of the early teardowns:

My wife says I lack organization. I disagree. I think she just doesn't understand my system.

DSC_0136_zps41fe6966.jpg

The more stuff that comes off, the better it looks.

DSC_0312_zpsdd273f43.jpg

DSC_0311_zpsd6e47468.jpg

snoluver1

Since I just finished up my end of the project last night, I figured I would jump in and add some content. I don't have a ton of pictures, but I have a few to share. As Kelly stated, it's pretty exciting to see people getting pumped up about the sled!

First off, we need to give credit where credit is due, and Kelly deserves a truck load of it! It seems I got off pretty easy with this project, as I was only charged with making the old girl breath fire once again. Kelly sent me the motor, clutch and carbs over the summer. I chipped away at some stuff here and there, but the big push has only been in the last few weeks or so.

Kelly has a bit of a track record of sending me what he affectionately calls "Frankenstein" motors, so I have to admit I was a little nervous to see what we were going to have to work with. Truth be told, aside from 35 years of grime, this motor actually wasn't in too bad a shape.
20140828_194444_zps40614444.jpg

I measured exactly 0 run out on the crank. It's pretty rare to find a factory crankshaft without at least half a thousandths run out, especially a 35 year old one! That tells me that this crank has more than likely been trued at some point. Bearings were in good shape, so a thorough cleaning, some fresh oil and back together she went.

20141016_132231_zps476a46e2.jpg

20141016_141338_zps9855acf1.jpg

The cylinders were straight and well within wear limits. Unfortunately, there was some scoring in both of them, so I sent them off to Millennium Technologies, for a fresh plating of nikasil. Once those came back, I dropped in some new slugs and got the top end back together.

888617aa-b24a-4717-9270-70750aff31ef_zpsbf958b88.jpg

Last edited:

snoluver1

The carbs and clutch were a little different story than the engine. They were actually worse on the inside than out. I think Kelly will have something special to share about the clutch, so stay tuned for that.

I guess this pic is appropriate for the date. Pretty spooky in there!!!

20141027_164809_zpsbbdd1205.jpg

It took some elbow grease, but they did actually clean up just fine.

20141031_165350_zpse663699c.jpg

20141031_165507_zpsd6720fb7.jpg

snoluver1

So here she is, ready to burn gas. Should be pretty much plug and play for Kelly. We have a rendezvous set up for tomorrow, to mate power plant and sled back together again.

20141031_184752_zpsbc0fa5cd.jpg

20141031_184920_zpsc2b51bfc.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

I love these updates! It's getting me even more excited!! The engine looks great snoluver1!!

skiroule

Kelly has a bit of a track record of sending me what he affectionately calls "Frankenstein" motors, so I have to admit I was a little nervous to see what we were going to have to work with.

Oh, if everyone out there only knew how true this is. I think he has a landfill in his back yard just for my stuff.

I did meet up with Adam in Mauston, WI today to get the engine and it looks even better in real life than in the photos. These 70’s free airs are just great looking engines. Even had time to do a little catching up and have a delicious fast food meal. On the ride back north it was a real treat to look in the mirror and see that engine sitting back there. Now I just have to get my act together and get it slipped the chassis. Have a few things left to do but as Adam said, it’s basically plug and play once I get at it – three mount bolts, two electrical connectors and a fuel line.

This last series of photos should answer the question of why Adam is the only guy I would ever have rebuild an engine. In spite of what he says, he did not get off easy on this project. Without him, the project doesn’t happen. Engine builds of this quality take time (even without broken ribs) and they’re not cheap. If you've priced Nikasil lately you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks Buddy!! You’re the best in the biz.

snoluver1

Kelly, your too kind! Lol

Let me know when you want to build that 250 racer. I'm pretty sure that crate you made can self navigate to my house by now.

........will work for beer!:D

skiroule

I don’t understand how that crate hasn’t met with some unfortunate accident in Illinois (like lighter fluid and a match).

Over the course of the project we have made some changes/upgrades that we felt would make the sled a little better than the stock 77. Some were performance related, some were for appearance, and some were a combination.

Some of you vintage junkies out there may have noticed that this sled has “shovel head” skis which, I don’t think Polaris put on TX’s after 76 (but I could be wrong). Either way, I really wanted them on this sled because, well, I think they are cool and would give the sled a whole different look.

The problem with these skis is that for some reason, you almost never see any for sale that are not still on a sled so when one of my main parts sources out in Idaho said he had three I snapped em’ up and used the two that I thought were the best.

Ski_3_zpsb498d338.jpg

If it’s needed, I usually take my skis and mufflers to a guy that does the heavy blasting and while he is inexpensive, he is really about volume and has big equipment so I almost always ended up doing some touch-up in the harder to get at areas. These were just back from the blaster and before touch-up.

Ski_4_zpsa5027217.jpg

After some sandblasting touch-up, and a few cycles of straightening, filling, sanding, and priming they were ready for paint. They do kind of look like blue salami’s.

Skis_5_zps0ab5bcdd.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

I thought you couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? They look great Kelly!

skiroule

A quick fast forward to tonight:

I sent the original clutch along with the motor but I knew that saving it was a long shot so I wasn’t surprised when Adam told me it wouldn’t even make a good boat anchor.

The closed face clutches are really at the end of their lifespan and I don’t think anyone is making parts anymore so the hunt was on. Getting another closed face didn’t seem like a good option so we both thought on it and independently came to the same conclusion.

This was the solution: A Team Rapid Response clutch from Dirty Dawg Performance up in Monticello, MN. It’s already machined for the deep bore taper of the TX crankshaft and the guys up there tuned it specifically for the 340. A set of different inserts was included if someone were inclined to further play with performance.

DSC_0152_zps3b8ea033.jpg

It was literally a bolt on. I think it looks like it belongs on that engine and will be light-years better in performance than the stock clutch.

DSC_0161_zps751cb98b.jpg

DSC_0159_zpsd38ee33d.jpg

Also learned a valuable tip tonight: If you’re trying to agitate paint and you’re holding the paint in one hand and a beer in the other, shake the paint. Otherwise, you’re the only one agitated.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Huh, so those carbs needed filters? Perhaps that is why we always used to get those fun little backfires that would blast your chest with flames on our colts! Who knew? :)

Nice job guys! Can't wait to get it up north to ride it around.....er.... display it at businesses to sell tickets!

-John

megan600

Wow impressed with the outcome of this. Tickets Bought!!!!! :)

We recently bought a few of the exact same "parts sleds". A 440 and a 340 that we are restoring to be a 340 racer for me. We got a ways to go, but this just proves there is hope for a great final outcome. Well done fellas!

D

Deleted member 10829

That is one sweet looking engine! Never hold paint and beer at the same time. LOL :)

snoluver1

Man, the clutch and K&N's really drive home the cool factor! It looks awesome Kelly, and I think who ever ends up with this sled will be pleasantly surprised when they hit the flipper.

skiroule

We recently bought a few of the exact same "parts sleds". A 440 and a 340 that we are restoring to be a 340 racer for me. We got a ways to go, but this just proves there is hope for a great final outcome. Well done fellas!

Based on some of your previous posts, you know race sleds. It will be a good one.

By the way, I pulled er' over a few times in the chassis tonight - good spark in both cylinders. We like spark.