Make-A-Wish Sled II

skiroule

Have some other obligations over the next few days and won't be able to get much done on the sled so I thought I'd throw a couple of items on here tonight.

Engine is bolted in and does it ever change the look of the chassis.

DSC_0154_zpsb2971c58.jpg

Speaking of chassis, these go back a few months:

These chassis almost always have some degree of sag in the running boards so the first step is to run it through my running board straightening process. As you can see, it's very complex. When the chassis was finished, I put fishbone braces on this sled because I think they look great and provide some needed support for the boards.

DSC_0076_1_zpsbafee35e.jpg

After straightening, degreasing, power washing, and preliminary sanding, it's looking better.

DSC_0087_zps2eecc079.jpg

Then comes a whole bunch of sanding and filling. I use a product called "metal2metal" for any filling that is needed on bare aluminum. It bonds like crazy, finishes well, and doesn't absorb moisture.

Sanded_Chassis_1_zps59bc1776.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

I sure wish I had your talents! I'm trying to figure out how many tickets to buy. Looking forward to your next post! :)

skiroule

Thanks Mark but talent might be a bit of a stretch. I will take credit for being extremely stubborn and sometimes that pays off in unexpected ways.

Since I'm back from the land of Bob and Doug Mckenzie, I'll finish off the chassis photos.

Primer and some sealer

Primer_1_zps3d642a53.jpg

More sealer

Primed_Chassis_3_zps71341293.jpg

and finally, paint

Chassis_Paint_6_zps99ec7256.jpg

Chassis_Paint_5_zps987cb835.jpg

megan600

Based on some of your previous posts, you know race sleds. It will be a good one.

By the way, I pulled er' over a few times in the chassis tonight - good spark in both cylinders. We like spark.

Spark is definitely a good sign!

Thanks, i know drag sleds...the vintage ovals are new to my wheel house, but learning as we go. Guess similar concept right ;) I'm enjoying following the pics from your build. We are quite a ways behind your progress, but it'll get there!

skiroule

Yep, similar concept....go fast, cross the finish line first :)

One change that I felt would be a performance improvement was to upgrade the braking to a 79 caliper unit. The original 77 unit had the older puck-style pads while the 79 unit has pads that are more like an automotive pad.

DSC_0151_zps70f8dd41.jpg

Being a larger unit overall, it just seems like it would have a little more stopping power, not to mention it’s a much better looking unit. In the end it caused some problems, more on that later.

DSC_0153_zpsea7f72ea.jpg

Sometimes parts are where you find them. The brake bleeder screws are for a Harley Davidson motorcycle (which is why there is a pair) and the fuel line pickup is for a Kawasaki dirt bike. Pretty much perfect matches for the originals, plus the bleeder screws have a built-in check valve which makes bleeding a piece of cake. If I'm excited about bleeder screw check valves, maybe I need to get out more.

DSC_0148_zps13f6f918.jpg

skiroule

Thanks Freezin’ and others. Very nice to hear that people like the sled.

Well it’s purring like a kitten. OK, maybe not a very scary comparison but this motor absolutely rocks. Just touching the throttle you can just tell that the horses want to run. Did pull it out to give it a little sniff of snow.

DSC_0168_zps529b3ef5.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Man those are pretty motors! I can just hear it purring. :)

jr37

Kelly, that is an awesome machine. Even though I am not a Polaris man, I would be proud to drive that down the trail, knowing the effort and time you have put into it. You deserve a standing ovation.:)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. When I am done, I will just put it on a jack stand and run it in reverse to take the miles off.

Something I learned from a movie! :)

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

Man, does that bring back memories! Great job guys, the mileage matches how it looks. :)

snoluver1

HECK YEAH!!!
She looks so purdy sitting in the snow! Awesome work Kelly!! Congrats on a job well done. (I'm giving you a celebratory cheers from behind the screen right now):cool:

skiroule

Thanks guys - I will be having a mini-celebration tonight myself - think it will involve hops and foam.

Consider myself very lucky that I actually get to test ride it. Couldn't resist a little lawn de-thatching today.

I do have a few more "not quite there" photos I'll continue to post that show it (slowly) coming together.

timo

that looks awesome, i enjoyed watching you bring it back from the dead as much as reading the commentary. some funny stuff in them posts.

snoluver1

Huh, so those carbs needed filters? Perhaps that is why we always used to get those fun little backfires that would blast your chest with flames on our colts! Who knew? :)

-John

Hey John, just saw these over on vintage sleds. 1973 colts. Guy says he'll take a 100 bucks for both.
.....just sayin';)

Attachments

• 739001_0.jpg
    739001_0.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 63

skiroule

that looks awesome, i enjoyed watching you bring it back from the dead as much as reading the commentary. some funny stuff in them posts.

Thanks…..Sometimes you just have to see the humorous side.

Brad (Bradzooooo) has given me some excellent tips along the way, one being how to make a jackshaft puller using a socket, a stack of washers, and a long bolt. I’ve been driving a desk way too long to come up with something this simple and effective. If it had been my design, it would have been over-engineered, needed a manual, and probably had a safety recall.

Brad’s solution on the other hand, works perfectly.

Puller_zpsa982db75.jpg