Make-A-Wish Sled II

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hey John, just saw these over on vintage sleds. 1973 colts. Guy says he'll take a 100 bucks for both.
.....just sayin';)

It's tempting, but will have to hold off until I stop trying to keep so many plates spinning!

-John

skiroule

Backtracking a little here.

Neither pan on the original sleds was really worthy of this project. One was a busted up fiberglass version and the other had some mystery holes cut in the side panel – possibly for side pipes.

A fiberglass reproduction was always an option but I really wanted a stock plastic pan. There are a couple of versions of this pan. Some have hand holds in the front, some don’t. I’ve been told that Polaris settled on the Centurion version (without hand holds) as a replacement for all models. Fortunately I was able to get a really nice stock pan from a fellow up in Babbit, MN and I did notice on this pan has two other exhaust outlet drill center marks stamped, one of which is for the 500 Centurion.

It’s obvious that even back then they were looking for ways to build a lighter sled. Out of curiosity, I weighed the pan – 7 lbs. Now that is light. I almost hate to call them plastic because these things are unbelievably durable. Even after several decades this pan is still very flexible.

(I did paint the rivets later)

DSC_0077_zps680b31a8.jpg

DSC_0081_zps8195fd8a.jpg

After the dash support, tank, wiring harness, and bumper are mounted, it’s starting to look like a sled again.

DSC_0084_zps5465d0fb.jpg

Bradzoo

Wish you would have said something earlier Kelly I could have helped more with parts, I have a brand new long seat cover that I bought by mistake for my short seat that I think would've been the right one for that sled, since that one has the different tank. It sure does look nice

Bradzoo

D

Deleted member 10829

I really enjoy these occasional updates! Don't stop. :)

skiroule

Well Brad, it’s kind of like the old stand-up joke about aging: The memory is the second thing to go, can’t remember the first. I completely forgot about the seat cover…until now. I definitely could have used it. Who knows though, the need might come up again.

Yes, I do have a few more shots of different aspects of the build. It’s funny though, a lot of the time you just don’t think about taking photos so you actually have to make time for it.

These are hot off the press:

The last detail: Added the pre-filters. Could be a lot of snow in the air this year.

DSC_0186_zps7c5a7104.jpg

The sled is definitely getting the rock star trailer treatment – no sharing the trailer with other sleds. Kind of a VIP thing I guess (or is it VIS).

DSC_0187_zps5ce48061.jpg

DSC_0189_zps6071b1d3.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Where is the sled off to Kelly, John's? You can drop it here if you need a place to keep it! ;)

skiroule

Thought you guys would enjoy this link that I found over on Snogoer from December 1977 regarding Polaris and the I500.

Thanks for the link Gary! What an excellent (and timely) article. No question, the 340 is a great engine. The first nine places in the 77 Winnipeg-to-St. Paul 500? What a coincidence that a fresh 77 340 will be the hands of a new owner at the end of January.

Where is the sled off to Kelly, John's? You can drop it here if you need a place to keep it! ;)

Sorry Mark, the sled has been moved to an undisclosed location and is being protected 24/7 by two vicious guard dogs.

skiroule

OK, as many of you may have read, the sled is at John’s and yes, Millie and Huck are the guard dogs but they can be vicious I tell you. Don’t make eye contact.

The sled is looking good. We are confident that it will live up to its reputation as a high performance vintage sled.

This is a good time for me to say thanks to all of you that have bought tickets or are planning to buy a ticket or two (and I will continue to say so). All of you supporting the project by spending your hard-earned dollars are making a difference. We would love it if you would post here when you've bought a ticket or two. Very cool to hear from people.

This is a little side-bar to the build.

I had a nice 76 tach but it has a different scale orientation than a 77 and it just didn’t look quite right with the 77 speedometer. Since I couldn’t find a matching 76 New Old Stock (NOS) speedometer the only choice was to refurbish a 77 tach that I acquired somewhere (no idea where or when). The problem was that the needle and center were faded and the bezel wasn’t in very good shape.

I picked up a couple of vials of fluorescent gauge paint (yes, you can actually buy this stuff). I bought red and orange and mixed them until I was pretty happy with the color match.

I knew all those arts and crafts courses I took in college would pay off someday. Not only did I learn brushing skills but also how to navigate a Michael’s store.

DSC_0268_zps9914d63c.jpg

As far as the bezel, I (carefully) removed the bezel I had from an extra NOS speedometer. Once the bezel was installed on the 77 tach, it looked pretty close to new.

DSC_0148_zps47f41d13.jpg

skiroule

I must have been tired when i made the post last night. I used very poor wording when I said "supporting the project". I should have said "supporting the cause" (which is what I meant). It sort of gave the impression that some of the ticket money may be going to cover build expenses. I think most of you know that is not how it works. In fact, I doubt if Make-A-Wish would even allow it. Just wanted to make sure I haven't confused anyone.

I did mention NOS last night and I was lucky enough to find a bunch of NOS stuff for this sled. These are new parts that have never been on a sled and some of which are pretty rare. A lot of this stuff comes from old dealer inventories that have been bought out when they went out of business.

Here are a couple of good examples of hard to find stuff: A gas tank bracket and a pair of leaf springs (I had already sanded these). The seller had two sets of leaf springs and I can't believe i didn't buy both at the time. When I called him back he said he sold both sets within 20 min. of posting the ad. Just dumb luck that I happened to be on-line. Curiously, I was at work.

DSC_0072_1_zps3c0aa8cb.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

This is a good time for me to say thanks to all of you that have bought tickets or are planning to buy a ticket or two (and I will continue to say so). All of you spending your hard-earned dollars are making a difference. We would love it if you would post here when you've bought a ticket or two. Very cool to hear from people.

skiroule,

I am taking your advice above. I just purchased 20 tickets cuz I want that thing! :) With Thanksgiving tomorrow, I'm very thankful for many things and I also love helping out such a great cause, especially in it's last year. I would like to challenge those that can, to purchase some tickets now, so we can blow last year's total away! Don't put it off, it's very easy to do and takes less than a minute with PayPal.

skiroule

Setting the bar pretty high there Mark but I'm betting someone will call you on it, whether they admit it or not. Will pick up a ticket or two myself - maybe more. Believe me, it won't reduce anyone's chances of winning.

As long as I'm here, I'll post a couple of build shots.

The rear suspension ready to be assembled:

DSC_0075_1_zpse3a06f08.jpg

The track drivers were actually in pretty good shape but I pressed them off and reversed them anyway. It seems like 95% of the wear (or more) occurs on the front side of the drivers so reversing them adds quite a bit of life and it I think it helps reduce track wandering on the rails.

DSC_0175_zps1fd5cc03.jpg

skiroule

Still full from Thanksgiving.

I love this photo. It is a shot of one of the starting waves in the 76 Winnipeg-to-St. Paul 500 and is from Brian Nelson’s photo collection. Ironically, Nelson won the 76 race on a 76 John Deere 340 Liquidator – the only year the Liquidator was produced. He must have really kicked the Polaris bee’s nest because, as Gary’s linked article stated, Polaris sleds took the first nine places the following year.

Winnipeg_St_Paul_76_zps2ff8ecdf.jpg

One place where saving weight didn’t seem to pay off was the steering linkage. This was a common problem with the stock steering linkage (I had a straight one so this one was just for show).

DSC_0087_zps51bbda6f.jpg

I’m sure it would have been easy for a typical machine shop to machine a heavier one but I had to take the budget conscious approach. I found a length of 6061 aluminum tube that was the perfect diameter to make a sleeve and drove it on. It is definitely stronger than the stock version.

DSC_0086_zps8887aa35.jpg

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Nelson won the 76 race on a 76 John Deere 340 Liquidator" I could be wrong Kelly but it looks like a John Deere in this picture, third from the far end. Not saying it's Nelson's but the hood looks like a J.D. to me.

D

Deleted member 10829

Ready for a new rider.....

John, we're all taking note of this mileage

DSC_0179_zpsb9bd5056.jpg

This picture reminds me of how many speedo covers we went through on our 1976 TX 250. When you pull started it, sometimes the handle would slip out of your hand it would fly back in and slap the speedo cover and crack it badly. We must have broken 3 or 4 of them!

skiroule

I could see where that would happen with the T-handle, especially if one were wearing mittens. Of course, back in those days we probably a little less careful than we should have been. Just speaking from experience.

Sharp eye there Gary. It is Liquidator. It seems like John Deere pretty much went for broke in cross country racing that year and they were well represented at a lot of races. The photo below is from a Park Rapids, MN race.

ParkRapidsRace_zps6dfa3f8a.jpg

I’ve read a number of articles on the Liquidator. It was one aggressive looking sled but not particularly well suited for the general public. It did not like to go slow and it was surprisingly heavy for the day. The specs list it at 500 lbs. But it was fast and tough and that was the key in cross country races.

I’ve seen one or two running around at Waconia the last couple of years. As you probably know, Nelson’s Liquidator is on display at the Snowmobile Hall of Fame in St. Germain, WI. Only 600 were ever built so they bring some serious money – one sold recently for 10 grand.

skiroule

Thank you Mr. Dragon for buying a ticket right out of the gate! I’m impressed! Also, welcome to the party.

A number of people have asked about the value of the TX. I think it is just human nature to be curious. I can tell you that a 77 340 TXL was listed on the vintage sleds website this morning for $3900 and was described as being “in very nice shape”. It was sharp and the liquids may or may not command a slightly higher price than the free airs (depending on buyer preference) but given the condition, a fresh engine, and updated clutching I would say the Make-A-Wish sled is in the ballpark.

skiroule

A quick photo from a much warmer day than today.

This is all the “running gear” ready to be installed. The NOS leaf springs were actually for a 79, which I wanted because the spindle saddles are thru-bolted. In 77 they had kind of a funky crimped on saddle mount which tended to crack over time due to the flexing of the leaf. The thru-bolting is much better.

Don’t think I’ve mentioned the track before. It’s a Dr. Mario performance track built by Don Soukup in Sturgeon Bay, WI. It’s very strong but also very light. I’m guessing here but I’d say at least a 30% reduction in weight compared to the stock track. I can’t believe how little rolling resistance this track has, which should equate to a little more speed and acceleration………if you’re into that sort of thing.

DSC_0081_zpsb9cf6b6e.jpg

skiroule

With the sled comfortably at home at the Mosquito, this is a perfect time to say thanks to:

You sled fans out there - for continuing to snap up tickets. Without you, the sled build would never achieve its real purpose.

Adam - for making the grueling run from IL this weekend to do the final tweaks on the motor. Watching a skilled mechanic work is really a treat (Notice I said “watching” and not “helping”).

John - for picking up our lodging tab this weekend. It was a very generous thing to do. Good move to not offer to pick up the beverage tab though.

Steve & Bonnie - for letting me stay at their Lac La Belle Lakeside Cabin free of charge when I brought the sled up in November.

Don, Donna, and the soon-to-be new Mosquito owners, Shelie and Andy - for once again serving as primary hosts for the sled. This is a big commitment on their part and by providing a location to show the sled, they are a huge factor in the success of the project.

As John mentioned, the sled is running great after Adam’s work on it this weekend. When John wasn’t looking I jumped on it and took it for a little joy ride. Paired with the Team clutch, I can’t believe how hard this 340 pulls, especially through the mid-range. This is a fun sled.

You probably won’t see these in the Journal. This is a man that is obviously enjoying his work:

DSC_0177_zpsc13e9234.jpg

DSC_0181_zpsb1ced872.jpg