Make-A-Wish Sled II

D

Deleted member 10829

Great gesture mjkaliszak, thanks so much! And thanks to garyl62 also. If you have more at $25, let me know. ;)

skiroule

Classy move Mike!
Gary, not only are you generous at the Ride-In events but you’re also apparently pretty quick on the draw. I was never in the running. This was a good deal.

Can’t believe the Ride-In is three weeks from Saturday. Guess I had better pick up the pace here to get the final posts in.

I’ve always been of the opinion that there is always one part on these projects that is actually cursed. On this one it was the rear bumper. The original was shot and they are almost impossible to find in any kind of condition so I had to settle for what I could find. I joked with Adam that I probably had 40 hours in this bumper – bending, hammering, filling, sanding, and painting it three times (yes, three – long story).

DSC_0005_zpsd0aa117b.jpg

In the end, it came out OK.

DSC_0226_zps486ff781.jpg

One of the previous posts talked about upgrading the caliper to a 79 unit. When I consulted some of my vintage resources, they said “I don’t think I’ve ever seen it done before.” I’m thinking wow, cutting edge here but my dreams of glory were short lived. The caliper would not fit the 77 chaincase. A lot of assembly depended on this concept working so I sent a panic text to a friend/parts guy in Stanley, WI looking for a 79 chaincase. About a half hour later I get a text saying “still digging” followed sometime later by “found one.” He got it to me in three days, which is light speed when it comes to most vintage parts guys.

At first glance, these two chaincases appear to be the same but there is a subtle difference the 79 has just a slightly modified casting in the top section to accommodate the larger caliper unit.

Chaincase_1_zps25cc2347.jpg

The difference is more obvious from the back

Chaincase_3_zps127935de.jpg

In the end the problem turned out to be a bonus because the replacement chaincase is very unusual in that it has cutouts, presumably for cooling, possibly for racing. The cutouts may be factory but I have never seen one with these cutouts. If they aren’t factory, the person that did the work was an artist. They are perfect and make for a pretty slick looking chaincase.

DSC_0172_zps217a5e3c.jpg

mjkaliszak

Wow... Nice work. The original looks like my old 1971 or 73 AC Puma 440 low rider bumper after I earned the nickname " Krash Kaliszak " or as " Goober " would say " Krasssshhhhh....." for short. ( not to drag the thread off topic .... ) but my kindheartedness has a price ! Even if it is my 1st post in probably 2 years of needless ramblings.....LOL ( here we go ! )
Time for a story....

Back in the day.... 1980 or so.... I was being my usual full of ego self, had a couple budds over in my neighborhood trail head area... and I was letting everyone take turns riding my pride & joy.... so after a short while of sharing.... I thought I would show them what a real rider could do !!!!( I was boondocking way... before the term was even phrased !!! ) Not to mention ... I wasn't much for sharing back then. I had cut out a " jump trail " 1st going down it and then up beating down a run way.... finally I had panned the path and rode around to the bottom... all the way back to the end of the available area and started my " Evil Knievil " run at the hill...... hammer down, spun old Cat Cleeted track around till it caught and varoommmm I was off, barreled down the path, up the hill , launched off the top, airborn and was at the pinnacle of my prowess ( LOL ) ! Just as I was enjoying my F16 TomCat flight ... I had noticed a 1 ft diameter OAK TREE starring me down ( dame it man ) .... I had caught way more air than I could have ever wildly anticipated.

Uh-Oh... now I'm really showing off , full mode " dip**** "( time for a quick decision... this was going to be bad ! ) ..... ( shat .... dbl shat ... ! ) I jumped off thus making a super fast & hasty retreat... or evac if you will .... as the Cats Pride slammed into the oak tree head on then dropped to the ground. !
Motor dead, bumper looking worse than above , and my ego was sorely injured ! Snapped the plugs in 1/2, messed up the front hood hindge ect.... then had to walk home, get new plugs and humbly rode her home.

My budd " Goober " aka Rich Golembieski .... had then , on THAT day, phrased the term Krash .... He called me that for years...

What a lesson there I'll tell ya .... !

Well That's all folks...

On another note.... I have a set of AC 2015 El Tigre skags ( wear bars ) for sale over in the Classifieds.
If anyone wants them ... the part number is there in the pic, I will offer the same " deal " ..... if any interested party wants them ( member ) ... IN GOOD STANDING on this board... I will offer up the wear bars w/ shipping to the reciepient for free. I just ask that they donate 50% of the cost to the JD Make a Wish Sled II.

PM me if interested.

I'm up by the Grand Marias area, on just about the best week of the year .....( week after the X-mas /N-years break ) riding the Crazy 8's.... we are experiening some of the BEST riding in years....

mjk1 OUT !
Happy trails & stay safe !

skiroule

It seems that the nickname was well earned. I can just picture the image of you pulling the ejection lever on the "Tomcat" - dang funny (now). Snapping the plugs off is classic.

I'll probably put together the final few photos this weekend but here's a couple of shots that show what you have to do when you don't have a real shop.

My studding apparatus:

Track_Studding_1_zpscd0574d1.jpg

Put in a few ice studs, technically not trail studs but I've run them on mine for a couple of years now and they are holding up pretty well. Plus they're T-nut mounted so they're a snap to change out.

Making some "small" final adjustments to the bumper. Starting to think I have a fascination with clamps.

DSC_0253_zps8906f51c.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Looking great! I don't want this thread to end, but it will only be about 3 weeks until a lucky winner will be drawn! If you have been putting off buying tickets, do it now before it's too late. What a great job skiroule has done on this project, along with the help he got on the engine. My hats off to both of you!

skiroule

Thanks m8man! The event is coming up fast. Less than three weeks!

I think it’s kind of hard to get a feel for what went into the sled from a parts perspective by just looking at the photos. I actually started with a list of stuff I thought would be needed and in the end the final list was pretty close to the original. In case you’re curious, it looked something like this:

New Old Stock Stuff (Original parts never installed on a sled)
Tail Light Assembly
Gas Tank Bracket
Handlebars/Steering Shaft Assembly
Throttle Block
Spindle Dampers
Front Leaf Springs
Handlebar Pad
Speedometer
Hood Cable

Reproduction Stuff:
Seat Cover
Windshield
Windshield Mounting Trim
Hood
Sled Graphics Set
Headlight Grille
Track

Other Stuff:
Rear Track Idler Wheels/Bearings
Rear Shock
Hyfax
Front Driveshaft Bearings
Jackshaft Bearings
Handlebar Grips
Brake Pads
Headlight
Ski Wear Rods
Ski Shocks
Engine Pistons/Rings
Engine Gaskets/Seals
Cylinders (Nikasil Plating)
Fuel Pump (Rebuilt)
Fuel Lines/Pickup
32 mm Mikuni Carbs
K&N Air Filters/Pre-Filters
Team Performance Clutch

jr37

Kelly, I think you missed one item on your list. My name engraved on the dash of that sled.:)

Again, the sled looks awesome. Thank you for all that you did. You surely should be proud. May God bless you!

skiroule

Thanks Jon, we will get together and get the old iron out on a ride some day, that's a promise.

Slipping one final photo in as I went through the lot and there isn’t much more to add. Wish more had been taken but as I mentioned, we were so focused on getting the build done, we often missed photo ops.

If I might be serious for a moment (which is hard for me), I’d have to say this has been one of the most rewarding efforts I’ve ever undertaken. This has been a fun ride and I’m sure Adam feels the same way. We talked at length last spring about how much this meant to both of us. This was a can’t miss deal for me. I got to work on a great vintage sled and hopefully make someone’s life just a little bit better. This being said, it would do no good without you people out there buying tickets so thank you (again).

Good luck to all you ticket buyers and those that may buy one or two before or at the Ride-In. Lots of exciting stuff happening in the next few weeks so the final Ride-In should be one for the record books.

Thought this was an appropriate last photo:

DSC_0157_zps7c7663d9.jpg

L

lenny

you guys are simply amazing, wonderful job. I got to look at it last night and now have a ticket! Thanks for all your hard work for such a great cause.

skiroule

Thanks Lenny.....your eye for quality is well respected so it's good to know that you approve. Glad you got to see it for real. It's a different perspective for sure.

and good luck!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The sled made the trip from the Mosquito to M & M Powersports safe and sound. So if you are up this way and want to see it, head over to M & M in Hancock next to the Ramada.

tx.jpg

-John

megan600

Dont mean to hijack your thread...but wanted to share the finished pics of our sled rebuild that we had talked about a while ago. Had my first race this weekend and I won both womens races...and took 3rd and 6th in the guys heat and feature. IMG_5881.jpg IMG_5974.jpg

skiroule

Actually, it's very cool to hear that you have it on the track already! A lot of work in a short time - it looks really good.

If you happen to check back here, which engine are you running? The 340 or the 440?

megan600

Thanks! You ain't kidding... many many long nights in the garage rushing to get it done for our local club's annual race. It was finished one day before race day. Just enough time for me to get in a half dozen practice laps on a friends pond. lol

We are running the 340 motor in it. Originally was building it for the 440, but after some more research we learned that some tracks only allow the women to run 340cc so we went back to that so that I can run in the women's classes when I want. Lots of emotions into this build, but worth it when you got a great finished project. I'm sure you can relate 100%

Can't wait to hear who the winner of the make a wish sled will be! (fingers crossed ;)) They sure will be getting one beautiful piece!

skiroule

Yes, I can relate!!

A 440 definitely would be fun to run but the 340 is no slouch. My 440 is pretty snappy but I’ve ridden the Make-A-Wish sled and that 340 with the modern clutching is amazingly strong. Head to head with my 440 it would be an interesting match-up for quite a distance.

Yes, it’s hard to believe that it’s been almost 11 months since we started to get serious about this build and on Saturday it will come to a pretty exciting conclusion. Someone (maybe you) will take this sled home.

From day one our goal has always been to try to help a child achieve a wish and it’s pretty cool that people have stepped up, bought tickets, and made us feel like we contributed to that goal. Yeah, I know, I’ve said this before but tough, I’m saying it again. Thanks!

megan600

We also had this 340 motor sent out to Flannery's to have some go fast work done to it :) I'm not sure if you are familiar with that name... but Doug is known for doing his thing on these. Pretty happy with the results.

Thanks for all you've done on this!!! Just a few more days :)

snoluver1

Since I regrettably cannot attend the festivities this year, I just wanted to say a quick thank you to all who bought a ticket!! As Kelly said earlier, this project means a lot to both of us. I hope who ever ends up holding the winning ticket has as much fun riding it as we did building it. Now lets make that wish come true!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!

skiroule

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to all who bought a ticket!! As Kelly said earlier, this project means a lot to both of us. I hope who ever ends up holding the winning ticket has as much fun riding it as we did building it.

Well said Buildmate, well said…

I guess the ending is official now that the Ride-In is over and the sled has a new owner. I think we both would agree that, thanks to the generosity of the ticket buyers, the ticket sales far exceeded our expectations, to the tune of $10, 360 in sales (according to John’s latest journal).

I might be biased but I think it turned out to be a great little sled and it was appropriate that it helped support an even greater cause.

Seems like a bit of a void now but I’m sure I’ll come up with something. The 250 is sitting in the shadows of the garage, almost taunting me. Maybe with your wrenching and a few driving tips from Megan……Nah, I’m too old and too slow but it’s a fun thought.

Thanks again and have an excellent rest of the season everyone!!!

skiroule

Finally got back to this thread. Many thanks to whoever was responsible for moving it here. This is a natural home for it. Even though I have all the photos, it’s still fun to go back and look at the pace of the project (or lack thereof in some cases).

Thought I’d add this photo of a painting done by Lori Sleeman from the Wildlife Refuge Cabins for those of you that may not have seen it. I think it is nothing short of amazing – talk about capturing a moment, and the detail is incredible. The photo doesn’t really do it justice. The painting was donated by Lori for the silent auction at the final Make-A-Wish Ride-In.

I had planned to bid serious money but was tipped off that John was determined to get it to give it to me as a gift. He was successful but the bidding was pretty aggressive. I’m pretty sure Gracie’s college fund took a hit but I’ll be forever grateful for his generosity. Just looking at it brings back so many good memories.

DSC_0107_zps2qlz9cwd.jpg