Make-A-Wish sled restoration project.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
74 Tickets sold so far. Not bad in my opinion.

I was expecting the main ticket sales to occur when the sled is on display at the various businesses up here prior to the Ride-In and also at the Ride-In itself.

Who know, may have to order more tickets. :)

-John

doospunk

I would call that a very solid start. Especially since its not even Thanksgiving yet. Good to hear!! :)

I just noticed that this thread has approx. 41,000 hits. That's got to be a record! Imagine how much could be raised if each person who has hit it just once bought a ticket? (hint) :p

snoluver1

I just noticed that this thread has approx. 41,000 hits. That's got to be a record! Imagine how much could be raised if each person who has hit it just once bought a ticket? (hint) :p

The "Carter's Corner" thread still has us beat, but it has been running for a couple years! Now that they started a new one, we may stand a chance to set the all time record. LOL ;)

I agree, if just a tiny fraction of those 40k + hits end up buying a ticket, it would be an amazing success!

skiroule

Phazerpilot should get a kick out of this effort. If this hood looks familiar, it was the first candidate hood for the Make-A-Wish sled. Fortunately we went on to find better material. The hood is being included with a vintage sled I’m selling so I decided to do the major patching on it just so it wouldn’t be so much work for someone to make it usable. Or maybe I just missed the smell of curing fiberglass.
Hood_X2.jpg Hood_X1.jpg

The reason for posting this now is that even though the hood is a throw-in for the deal, I’m going to take what it probably would have sold for individually and buy some more raffle tickets. Believe me, with my luck, it is truly a donation.

It won’t be long until the sled begins its tour. I’m hoping that the businesses that have been generous enough to display the sled will each post a photo of the sled at their establishment.

snoluver1

Happy thanksgiving

As I sit here with my overstuffed belly and darn near split open pants, I can't help but reflect back on the fact that this project started right around Thanksgiving last year. I think about the people that the Make-A-Wish foundation benefits, and how many of them will not have the opportunity to share a Thanksgiving feast with their families year after year.

I would just like to say that I am grateful for having the means and opportunity to contribute what little I could to this honorable charity. I am grateful for the people who joined me along the way and helped contribute to the project. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to meet a few new friends along the way.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Please take a moment to think about all those that may be less fortunate today!

Well said snoluver. You have really poured your heart and soul into this project and the results show that! What a wonderful job and how nice it turned out. I hope people realize how much time and work it takes to restore a sled to this level. I know you will have great results for such a nice organization to help kids and families in need. Thanks for doing this, and good luck with the raffle!

snoluver1

Well, I don't know how he did it, but he did it!!
Phazerpilot just sent me some pics of that old ratty handlebar pad. I had completely forgotten about it. Not so ratty anymore!:)

photobucket-26490-1353796444603.jpg

photobucket-44215-1353796414408.jpg

skiroule

Nice! Phazerpilot, you are a fiberglass (and now a vinyl) restoration magician. Also can't believe it is same old dried up piece. These things are impossible to find in any condition so this is a real plus for the sled.

snoluver1

Now that John posted it in his journal, I thought it belonged in here too.

You can't tell in the photo, but I'm pretty sure I heard him giggling like a kid when he came back! (I know I sure was when I was on it) :)

I'm happy to report all systems a go.

photobucket-1797-1354325385458.jpg

skiroule

Mr. Snoluver1, you forgot this one.</SPAN>

Ridin' in Style.jpg

I love these photos. It’s a different experience for sure but there is just something special about climbing on one of these vintage “snow machines.” It looks really good on the snow. Agree with Doospunk, nice job men!</SPAN>

snoluver1

One look at that picture makes me realize why so many of us who have spent any amount of time on these old sleds, have prematurely bad backs and knees. All this time I thought it was from working or hereditary! :rolleyes:

skiroule

One look at that picture makes me realize why so many of us who have spent any amount of time on these old sleds, have prematurely bad backs and knees. All this time I thought it was from working or hereditary! :rolleyes:

A small price to pay for looking cool.</SPAN>

You have to admit you’re “at one with the snow” when you’re riding it. Makes 40 mph seem like a whole new experience. Would love to see some video taken from the viewpoint of the rider on this sled.</SPAN>

snoluver1

Would love to see some video taken from the viewpoint of the rider on this sled.

Its not much, and its not "point of view", but it is video. A whole 7 seconds of it. ( I actually didn't even realize I took video. I thought I was snapping pics and I was in video mode. LOL)

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome. I see John has the classic one knee on the seat riding stance when on an older sled! Again, awesome job on it Snoluver1!

skiroule

The Man and His Machine

I’m sure he will get even with me, even if it takes the rest of his life, but I thought the time was right to make one last post and put a face on this project. There aren't many photos of this fellow but I happen to have one.
The_Man_and_His_Machine.jpg

I plan to hoist more than one Hop City “Barking Squirrel” in Snoluver1’s honor this holiday season (although I don’t really need a hoisting reason). Also, I will be raising a mug to everyone who has or will be plunking down some hard-earned money on a sled ticket. Not necessarily an easy thing to do in these uncertain economic times.

Happy holidays everyone and especially to Adam and the whole Snoluver1 family!

P.S. Got some great trail riding in on the local trails today – didn’t happen at all last year. Sure makes a difference in one's outlook.