My vehicle was totaled by my insurance company

wiscrev

Thanks Pete, we are in a little bit of a time crunch but we’ll find something. Heading over to MSP next Friday to look at a few vehicles and hopefully driving one home.
Try Rochester. When I was looking, that's where I saw the best prices, I just couldn't get there at the time.

indy_500

Not sure of what you’re after, but I have seen CRAZY money off msrp on pickups at Laura Buick GMC in Collinsville IL (just east of St Louis). I believe they’re advertised as the nations largest GM dealer? Zero experience with them, just passing on what I saw online.

pclark

Not sure of what you’re after, but I have seen CRAZY money off msrp on pickups at Laura Buick GMC in Collinsville IL (just east of St Louis). I believe they’re advertised as the nations largest GM dealer? Zero experience with them, just passing on what I saw online.
Thanks Indy, appreciate it, we are going to try and replace the vehicle with same model and have found a few over in MSP to look at and hopefully buy next weekend.

indy_500

Thanks Indy, appreciate it, we are going to try and replace the vehicle with same model and have found a few over in MSP to look at and hopefully buy next weekend.
Gotcha, not sure if you’ve checked them out, but there is also a good sized Lexus dealer here in the Appleton area, Bergstrom victory lane. Have even coached baseball with the sales manager there.

wiscrev

PC, if you are looking on line for dealers, be sure and check out responses from customers. There's a really bad one in the cities that has terrible customer responses. I believe it also has 3 dealerships but I don't remember who it was. I just know that their prices were cheap, but according to customers, that was to get you in the door and then they flipped prices. I'd see a good price on line and then see that it was those guys and steered away.

whitedust

Gotcha, not sure if you’ve checked them out, but there is also a good sized Lexus dealer here in the Appleton area, Bergstrom victory lane. Have even coached baseball with the sales manager there.
Bergstrom is a good dealer sales and service no problem buying from them if you choose to. 👍

pclark

PC, if you are looking on line for dealers, be sure and check out responses from customers. There's a really bad one in the cities that has terrible customer responses. I believe it also has 3 dealerships but I don't remember who it was. I just know that their prices were cheap, but according to customers, that was to get you in the door and then they flipped prices. I'd see a good price on line and then see that it was those guys and steered away.
Thanks Rev, I checked reviews on the ones we will visit and they looked pretty good.

timo

Since were on the topic of car insurance,,,, WTF is up the rates and how they determine them. I added a 17 year old driver to the four vehicles we have. My insurance renews in August and is going up $320 a month!! Ya a month!! I have an email to my agent asking why so much?? I have been reading in the news the rates on auto and home have been sky rocketing. My homeowners is going up $200 a year. I haven't had a claim in the 4 years I've been with Safeco,, needless to say I'll be doing some serious shopping around.
Anyone got any recommendations?

mezz

Insurance rates have been on a steady rise for the past 12 plus months, primarily due to the cost of repair & replacement. Auto parts have been on the rise since 2020 & have not leveled off, likewise with building materials. Issues with supply & demand are part of the reason for prices on the constant rise not to mention increased labor rates. Employers are having to pay more to attract employees as well as keep those they have, especially in the construction sector. This is a sick cycle that we are stuck in no doubt. It seems to me that most insurance companies have been raising rates, some not as drastic as others, so my recommendation to you would be to shop for apples to apples coverage as well as possibly consider some coverage changes to your existing coverage, specifically to the deductibles on the physical damage coverage on the vehicles. Consider higher "Broad Form" Collision deductibles, with broad form collision, as long as you are not at fault, the deductible does not apply. Consider higher comprehensive deductibles, perhaps with a waiver of glass deductible option if you are prone to windshield loss. Another thing to look at is the vehicle that your 17 y/o is assigned to drive. I would recommend putting that driver on your lowest rated vehicle, preferably, on one that requires liability only as youthful drivers on vehicles with "full coverage" is extremely costly.

pclark

An update on my negotiations for my vehicle, After sending comps on 5 similiar vehicles they gave me an additional $2K so I'm very happy with that but it's a little extra work to keep on them. It worked this time and I'm hoping I don't ever have to go through this again. Now I can go shopping this weekend and see if we can find what we are looking for.

pclark

Since were on the topic of car insurance,,,, WTF is up the rates and how they determine them. I added a 17 year old driver to the four vehicles we have. My insurance renews in August and is going up $320 a month!! Ya a month!! I have an email to my agent asking why so much?? I have been reading in the news the rates on auto and home have been sky rocketing. My homeowners is going up $200 a year. I haven't had a claim in the 4 years I've been with Safeco,, needless to say I'll be doing some serious shopping around.
Anyone got any recommendations?
Saw on the news today that 10 states and yes Wisconsin is one of them Insurance is and has been going up at record pace. Wisconsin has a 30.1% increase in home and auto. Not sure why that would be other than what Mezz has outlined but it really sucks when you get the premium everytime and all it does is go up.

wiscrev

An update on my negotiations for my vehicle, After sending comps on 5 similiar vehicles they gave me an additional $2K so I'm very happy with that but it's a little extra work to keep on them. It worked this time and I'm hoping I don't ever have to go through this again. Now I can go shopping this weekend and see if we can find what we are looking for.
Glad for ya, PC.

wiscrev

I have a 2018 Cruze and pay $140/month. That's outrageous! And I have other vehicles and home to bundle with.

indy_500

Yep, my last renewal went up $150ish for 6 months for our 20 explorer and 21 f150. We did a driving tracking app on our phones thru my insurance company for 90 days to see if we could qualify for a discount, and were successful. The discount from doing the app brought us back down to the rate prior to the jump. Should be getting another renewal in a couple months, and hope it stays that way.

hermie

I think Mezz has hit the nail right on the head. The other big problem that I hear is going on is parts for cars are so far backordered that cars that wouldn't be a total are being totaled because of how long it takes to get the parts to fix the car. Basically they would have to pay so long on a rental that it's cheaper to total it but costing the insurance companies a lot more money then if the car could of been repaired at a timely manner.

chunk06

I think Mezz has hit the nail right on the head. The other big problem that I hear is going on is parts for cars are so far backordered that cars that wouldn't be a total are being totaled because of how long it takes to get the parts to fix the car. Basically they would have to pay so long on a rental that it's cheaper to total it but costing the insurance companies a lot more money then if the car could of been repaired at a timely manner.
I went through that a few years ago. I had a rental F150 for close to 6 months because the body shop was waiting on parts.They would have been money ahead just writing my truck off.

pclark

I honestly think it would have taken 6 months to fix my vehicle as well. I guess this all goes back to Covid and manufacturers not being able to forecast inventories or not wanting to. I think many companies changed the the way they look at growth and margin. Example: higher prices, lower sales, but higher profit margins. Not once have I ever heard Proctor & Gamble complain about business lately. Small business is a different animal, they continue to suffer and in the end it’s the consumer who suffers the most.