My vehicle was totaled by my insurance company

heckler56

I think Mezz has hit the nail right on the head. The other big problem that I hear is going on is parts for cars are so far backordered that cars that wouldn't be a total are being totaled because of how long it takes to get the parts to fix the car. Basically they would have to pay so long on a rental that it's cheaper to total it but costing the insurance companies a lot more money then if the car could of been repaired at a timely manner.
My mechanic has been making a killing on buying insurance autos (Subarus) with minor damage because after a certain point they have to buyout the claim. He has built an inventory of badly damaged ones and swaps parts as needed. Last summer daughter needed a vehicle ASAP. She picked one and he had it “built” in less than a week! He said he had something like 100 transmissions, engines etc.. Genius really.
He showed us a Subaru sedan he just bought with 5k miles for $3k for an engine fire. Turns out it was a melted battery cable and the adjuster looked in the truck and it was all black. Turns out the former owner was an asphalt guy and kept his equipment and clothes in the trunk! He swapped out the battery cables, tested everything and replaced the trunk lining.

pclark

Well, we ended up heading to Minneapolis on Friday in hopes of finding a 4wd vehicle. The list included Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Armada, Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander. Also test drove a 2017 Lexus GX460 which was exactly what the deer totaled out. After a lot of discussion and looking at what this era has brought us in terms of gas prices, mileage, etc we decided on a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 39k miles on it, loaded, V-6, on the way home it averaged 26 mpg. I felt like we got a decent deal for such a clean vehicle so thus ends our saga of replacing the Lexus. Now just waiting for them to come pick it up and send me the check. The ride is great and it’s a solid vehicle for winters in Northern WI, it will also help us out on our now monthly trips to see our grandson in Naperville. He also approved!

Attachments

• IMG_7990.jpeg
    IMG_7990.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3

rph130

My wife and daughter both have 21 Jeep Grand Cherokees Paul. Great vehicles. You will be very happy. My wife's has the V8 hemi. The thing is a rocket. Daughters has the V6. She loves it for all of the U.P miles she puts on it with the gas mileage.

whitedust

Well, we ended up heading to Minneapolis on Friday in hopes of finding a 4wd vehicle. The list included Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Armada, Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander. Also test drove a 2017 Lexus GX460 which was exactly what the deer totaled out. After a lot of discussion and looking at what this era has brought us in terms of gas prices, mileage, etc we decided on a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 39k miles on it, loaded, V-6, on the way home it averaged 26 mpg. I felt like we got a decent deal for such a clean vehicle so thus ends our saga of replacing the Lexus. Now just waiting for them to come pick it up and send me the check. The ride is great and it’s a solid vehicle for winters in Northern WI, it will also help us out on our now monthly trips to see our grandson in Naperville. He also approved!
SWEET….I Looked seriously at the Jeeps in 2015 the styling was nice , ride was good and was smaller than my Tahoe BUT they were gas guzzlers back then the best on hyw was 18 mpg not much better than my Tahoe. My youngest leases Jeeps likes them a lot might buy this one out. Happy for you👍

pclark

My wife and daughter both have 21 Jeep Grand Cherokees Paul. Great vehicles. You will be very happy. My wife's has the V8 hemi. The thing is a rocket. Daughters has the V6. She loves it for all of the U.P miles she puts on it with the gas mileage.
It’s always good to hear these types of comments, thanks Bob!

pclark

SWEET….I Looked seriously at the Jeeps in 2015 the styling was nice , ride was good and was smaller than my Tahoe BUT they were gas guzzlers back then the best on hyw was 18 mpg not much better than my Tahoe. My youngest leases Jeeps likes them a lot might buy this one out. Happy for you👍
Thanks Pete

pclark

I have my next Chevy Tahoe all picked out. A good friend and neighbor up the road has a 2020 that is pristine. Only 25k miles on it and he will sell it to me in the next two years so I just need the 2007 Tahoe to last a little longer!

indy_500

Glad to hear. I see Ford Explorer was on your list, good choice NOT picking one if concerned about fuel mileage. We love ours but it gets terrible mileage (very low 20s). I think it’s because it’s in boost often to push a vehicle that size.

My wife is on her 4th Grand Cherokee, and they have all been bullet proof. They've all be V-8's and get decent (low to mid 20's) mileage.
She run's them to nearly 200,000 miles with no issues. Personally, I've never driven a vehicle that is as sure footed as these Jeeps have been!

wiscrev

A good friend has a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid. Gets 44mph. Wow! My prob is where to get them worked on. Nothing close.

eagle1

Saw on the news today that 10 states and yes Wisconsin is one of them Insurance is and has been going up at record pace. Wisconsin has a 30.1% increase in home and auto. Not sure why that would be other than what Mezz has outlined but it really sucks when you get the premium everytime and all it does is go up.
Have you seen how people drive on 41!!!🫤

whitedust

Drive any boulevard in Milwaukee or the burbs in rush hour cars are pushing 70mph in a 45. Either you move with it or they funnel by you. The accidents are complete multi car pile ups. This started during the pandemic and never stopped

hermie

Drive any boulevard in Milwaukee or the burbs in rush hour cars are pushing 70mph in a 45. Either you move with it or they funnel by you. The accidents are complete multi car pile ups. This started during the pandemic and never stopped
You are correct on this one. Who's going to stop them? I personally barely ever see a police officer doing radar anymore. We drive from northern IL to Saint Germain almost every weekend and more times than not wont see a single police officer. Then there will be that odd time when we will see 6 to 8 officers doing radar.

pclark

Glad to hear. I see Ford Explorer was on your list, good choice NOT picking one if concerned about fuel mileage. We love ours but it gets terrible mileage (very low 20s). I think it’s because it’s in boost often to push a vehicle that size.
Yes, we almost bought one but we run our vehicles a good 10 years. I am firm believer in maintaining vehicles and if you do that they will last. My only strike against the Ford Explorer was the 4 cylinder, the turbo gave it plenty of power but I wasn’t sold that it would last as long as we wanted. We have always leaned towards V-8’s but with gas prices being what they are it felt like the time to get a vehicle that gets better mileage.

wiscrev

When we left for DC with the bikes for Rollin' Thunder, we were traveling faster than that in 5 PM traffic. Was ready to change my shorts and like you said, keep up or get left behind.