Off trail riding on the local news

hermie

Well unfortunately sounds like this behavior know matter the age or what kind of sled is doing this may cause a major route from Lake Tom to Woodruff to be close by the town. Woodruff is already in the works to shut down trail 47 due to people riding on the power lines. Cross country cruisers posted it yesterday. As far as I know in Vilas or Oneida and Lincoln there is no legal areas to ride off trail but unfortunately people are not going to figure it out until most main arteries are shut down and you can only ride in a circle or on a Lake.

indy_500

Well unfortunately sounds like this behavior know matter the age or what kind of sled is doing this may cause a major route from Lake Tom to Woodruff to be close by the town. Woodruff is already in the works to shut down trail 47 due to people riding on the power lines. Cross country cruisers posted it yesterday. As far as I know in Vilas or Oneida and Lincoln there is no legal areas to ride off trail but unfortunately people are not going to figure it out until most main arteries are shut down and you can only ride in a circle or on a Lake.
I saw the post, and I believe it is a major issue, but I’m not buying that “the town of woodruff” will shut that down… no way…

One thing nobody has mentioned on this topic is the fact that snowmobiles leave Tracks. How many atvs/Sxs ride where they aren’t supposed to be, but it goes unnoticed because it doesn’t leave tracks. Just some food for thought. Trespassing is a major issue in our sport, but I feel many overreact to the issue simply because a snowmobiles leaves an imprint in the snow wherever it goes…

hermie

I saw the post, and I believe it is a major issue, but I’m not buying that “the town of woodruff” will shut that down… no way…

One thing nobody has mentioned on this topic is the fact that snowmobiles leave Tracks. How many atvs/Sxs ride where they aren’t supposed to be, but it goes unnoticed because it doesn’t leave tracks. Just some food for thought. Trespassing is a major issue in our sport, but I feel many overreact to the issue simply because a snowmobiles leaves an imprint in the snow wherever it goes…
Yeah don't know personally if the town is behind the closure or not but I know the area well and there are always tracks along the lines there. No doubt no matter the sport people ride where they should not be riding. It all comes down to people not realizing it's a real privilege to have all these trails we get to ride and not a right.

old abe

LOL...Circa...Late 1990's...Adams Co Wi...Active club member had the trail going thru their yard...Personally I always thought it was TOO close to the house...Wifey had their first child in early Dec...Before the trail system opened the club ran the groomer panning the trails...Apparently it woke the newborn up and the baby was extremely upset/crying...So literally the next day they rerouted the trail away from the house...
Really, that's your shutting the trail down due to excessive groomer engine, exhaust noise? I can't help but chuckle at that one, and just a simple reroute took care of it. Perhaps as you said, yourself, the trail was too close to the house!

attakman

Yeah don't know personally if the town is behind the closure or not but I know the area well and there are always tracks along the lines there. No doubt no matter the sport people ride where they should not be riding. It all comes down to people not realizing it's a real privilege to have all these trails we get to ride and not a right.
It's not the town...it's the landowner...it's been going on for a long time, and they've finally had enough...this one will hurt badly if it gets shut down....we have the same issue in the Tomahawk area, and I'm sure there will be at least threats to close a couple more (the club always goes and tries to smooth things out, and do a lot of butt kissing, so far it's worked...but it's getting harder and harder)
Ha!! Its guys like you that think they have it all figured out. Blame the young guys with MX style helmets. Go look at the damn thread about who died this weekend see all those young guys......

I would tell you to grow up judging people by what gear they wear but I'm guessing your over 60 already. The sport has likely passed you by to know what gear is best today.
Really?...people died...does it matter what their age was? (and I'd hardly call 41 OLD)......I just wouldn't even go there....I guess I should start posting photos and videos of the loud and the stupid.

Highflyer

It's not the town...it's the landowner...it's been going on for a long time, and they've finally had enough...this one will hurt badly if it gets shut down....we have the same issue in the Tomahawk area, and I'm sure there will be at least threats to close a couple more (the club always goes and tries to smooth things out, and do a lot of butt kissing, so far it's worked...but it's getting harder and harder)

Really?...people died...does it matter what their age was? (and I'd hardly call 41 OLD)......I just wouldn't even go there....I guess I should start posting photos and videos of the loud and the stupid.
Go for it. My point was shoot2kill (and many others on the boards) was insinuating its the young people causing the problems in MX helmets.

SHOOT2KILL

Go for it. My point was shoot2kill (and many others on the boards) was insinuating its the young people causing the problems in MX helmets.
More to the story...FYI...3 of those Gen Z'rs with MX helmets and Backpacks sat down ordered 3 Bud Lights...3 shots of Jack...And proceeded to order a NACHO PLATE for all 3 of them to share...LOOOOOL...FREE ENTERTAINMENT...I have to wonder if all 3 of them sleep in the same bed to save money too........

Highflyer

More to the story...FYI...3 of those Gen Z'rs with MX helmets and Backpacks sat down ordered 3 Bud Lights...3 shots of Jack...And proceeded to order a NACHO PLATE for all 3 of them to share...LOOOOOL...FREE ENTERTAINMENT...I have to wonder if all 3 of them sleep in the same bed to save money too........
It didn't happen if you don't take video......

pclark

Yep, it's happening and really gaining steam up here with these off trail riders. There is another one in St. Germain, I don't know where, heard it on the news. Landowners are pissed so they will most likely not grant permission next year. The losers don't care, they just go somewhere new and ruin that area until another closure happens and on and on. People don't want to stop these guys and talk to them but I say you better if you can or our network of trails gets smaller. Screw these punks, punks by definition can be younger, middle, or old age by the way but they all possess ignorance, their best quality, sad to say.

old abe

Yep, it's happening and really gaining steam up here with these off trail riders. There is another one in St. Germain, I don't know where, heard it on the news. Landowners are pissed so they will most likely not grant permission next year. The losers don't care, they just go somewhere new and ruin that area until another closure happens and on and on. People don't want to stop these guys and talk to them but I say you better if you can or our network of trails gets smaller. Screw these punks, punks by definition can be younger, middle, or old age by the way but they all possess ignorance, their best quality, sad to say.
Well said, and true pclark! However, I feel POS fits them better IMO!

indy_500

Didn’t really complete my thoughts on this previously so I’m going to give it another go…

I’ve done my fair share of off trail riding in the UP in legal areas over the past 10 years. Have never done so anywhere in Wisconsin as it is not legal, and no thrill in <2’ of snow that Northern WI typically has.

So if I get this straight, a trail is being threatened to be shut down by a landowner, being blown up on social media and the news, because snowmobilers are riding 50’ off the marked trail onto a power line, causing no harm to anything underneath the snow, except that the landowner is POed because the tens of thousands of snowmobiles that ride across the trail don’t end up staying within every inch of the markers (shocker)

While I understand, trail access is precious, and as snowmobilers we need to do everything we can to protect it, common sense tells me, to think so harshly about it is a little extreme. While I totally get this is THEIR land and not our RIGHT, if the 4 wheeler trail went through there and there was a cool jump or mud hole 50’ off the trail that every Billy all summer long decided to hit “for fun”, nobody would give a $#1+ . But, because our snowmobiles leave an imprint in the snow, everybody loses their minds. For what it’s worth, there are no crops being planted in the middle of a power line…

My instinct tells me 40 years ago, Joe blow rode all over Farmer Browns cornfield to get to his buddy Bobs house, or to access a trail, and nobody cared. But in this day and age where everyone is so edgy and divisive, they want to hang any snowmobiler who doesn’t stay within every last inch of a trail marker.

Unpopular opinion, I know, I guess I just don’t understand why every non snowmobiler loses their minds about a couple of tracks, unless of course it is causing harm to crops or such underneath.

katden4

When a property owner gives permission to cross that property in a mapped out area, what gives anyone the right to take it a step further? Damaging the land or not, its not the agreement? Hand shake deal, or written in a contract, it’s not anyones right to break that agreement with the landowner. Keep in mind, the 10s of thousands have the privilege, not the right to cross that land. Nobody knows the reason for the agreed area, but why challenge it and risk loosing it?

its not 40 years ago, it’s 2023. Very sad where we are today, and even more sad the direction we are headed, but keep in mind loosing trails will happen every year moving forward.

Tim in Indiana

Didn’t really complete my thoughts on this previously so I’m going to give it another go…

I’ve done my fair share of off trail riding in the UP in legal areas over the past 10 years. Have never done so anywhere in Wisconsin as it is not legal, and no thrill in <2’ of snow that Northern WI typically has.

So if I get this straight, a trail is being threatened to be shut down by a landowner, being blown up on social media and the news, because snowmobilers are riding 50’ off the marked trail onto a power line, causing no harm to anything underneath the snow, except that the landowner is POed because the tens of thousands of snowmobiles that ride across the trail don’t end up staying within every inch of the markers (shocker)

While I understand, trail access is precious, and as snowmobilers we need to do everything we can to protect it, common sense tells me, to think so harshly about it is a little extreme. While I totally get this is THEIR land and not our RIGHT, if the 4 wheeler trail went through there and there was a cool jump or mud hole 50’ off the trail that every Billy all summer long decided to hit “for fun”, nobody would give a $#1+ . But, because our snowmobiles leave an imprint in the snow, everybody loses their minds. For what it’s worth, there are no crops being planted in the middle of a power line…

My instinct tells me 40 years ago, Joe blow rode all over Farmer Browns cornfield to get to his buddy Bobs house, or to access a trail, and nobody cared. But in this day and age where everyone is so edgy and divisive, they want to hang any snowmobiler who doesn’t stay within every last inch of a trail marker.

Unpopular opinion, I know, I guess I just don’t understand why every non snowmobiler loses their minds about a couple of tracks, unless of course it is causing harm to crops or such underneath.

Not directly addressed to Indy but just to address the comment which I know is shared by others.

One of the reasons is because there is a large and very organized movement of non-motorized or silent sports people in the area. Many, if not most of these folks would love to eliminate all motorized sports and will take advantage of any bad behavior by us.

It isn't obvious if your only exposure to the area is while visiting to ride sleds, ATV's or to wake board. You generally will not run into many of these people in the bars or out on the sled trails. While there is some overlap, mostly it's simply a different crowd than us.

But you will run into them if you belong to one of the cross country ski, or snowshoeing, or kayaking, or bicycling groups in the area. Or if you live in the area and are involved in the local community affairs.

An example is Winman trails in Winchester. They have over 1300 acres (and growing) dedicated to silent sports and it is heavily utilized. In 2021 they had over 47,000 individual visitors, nearly 1,000 a week.

And the main sled trail between Presque Isle and Mannitowish Waters passes right through this property and crosses several of their trails. The users of their property have to watch and yield to us as we rip by. At this point I think we're lucky this very busy sled trail is still allowed to pass through their ground.

There are at least two organized movements in the Presque Isle area that I know of working to promote silent sports. These folks don't want us or ATV's operating in the area. The only thing protecting us is the clubs and the local businesses that profit from us.

And this is just in the Presque Isle and Winchester area. I'm sure it is similar in Mannitowish Waters and other areas.

snomoman

Not directly addressed to Indy but just to address the comment which I know is shared by others.

One of the reasons is because there is a large and very organized movement of non-motorized or silent sports people in the area. Many, if not most of these folks would love to eliminate all motorized sports and will take advantage of any bad behavior by us.

It isn't obvious if your only exposure to the area is while visiting to ride sleds, ATV's or to wake board. You generally will not run into many of these people in the bars or out on the sled trails. While there is some overlap, mostly it's simply a different crowd than us.

But you will run into them if you belong to one of the cross country ski, or snowshoeing, or kayaking, or bicycling groups in the area. Or if you live in the area and are involved in the local community affairs.

An example is Winman trails in Winchester. They have over 1300 acres (and growing) dedicated to silent sports and it is heavily utilized. In 2021 they had over 47,000 individual visitors, nearly 1,000 a week.

And the main sled trail between Presque Isle and Mannitowish Waters passes right through this property and crosses several of their trails. The users of their property have to watch and yield to us as we rip by. At this point I think we're lucky this very busy sled trail is still allowed to pass through their ground.

There are at least two organized movements in the Presque Isle area that I know of working to promote silent sports. These folks don't want us or ATV's operating in the area. The only thing protecting us is the clubs and the local businesses that profit from us.

And this is just in the Presque Isle and Winchester area. I'm sure it is similar in Mannitowish Waters and other areas.
Curious if an electric snowmobile would be considered a silent sport, maybe that’s the direction that the sport may go in the future, only silent electric snowmobiles would be allowed to run the trails… ha ha, although I’m sure there’s a way that may be struck down, then the tree huggers will complain about the “eye pollution” of having to look at the silent snowmobiles cross their paths of sight while outside

old abe

It would seem to me indy, makes no difference what type vehicle it is, ATV, UTV, or snowmobile? Trespassing is trespassing. So any kind of abusing our trail privilege, not a right, is an excuse to run us off, get rid of us. Sadly, so it is.

Last edited:

indy_500

I get all that guys, I really do, I’m just simply saying, because we leave (harmless) tracks in snow, everybody wants to hang our heads, and I just can’t fathom how we as society got to this point… Like I said, if an ATV trail ran in the same spot and there was a cool jump on this power line 50 feet off the trail and 50% of wheelers hit it, no landowner would give a rats @$$, but because snowmobiles leave an imprint in the snow, all snowmobilers must be terrible people…

I get the handshake agreement, agreed upon the trail ONLY, and that land is the landowners RIGHT and our PRIVELAGE, but common sense tells me, If tens of thousands of snowmobilers ride across a power line trail in one of the most highly populated snowmobiling areas in the state, there’s going to be a handful with googly eyes that lay a few tracks in the power line. If the landowner did not see that potentially happening, he must’ve been born yesterday…

If my neighbor walks around outside 100 times, and 1 time he sees something cool in one of my trees and walked onto my property without causing harm, am I going to throw a fit and call the cops? No. If my neighbor used my driveway to turn around, am I going to put fences up and a gate at the end of my driveway? Again, he’s not causing me any harm so no. The amount of snowmobilers that illegally go where they shouldn’t, is probably less than 1%, but because we are so divisive as a society nowadays, everyone wants to hang us all by our heads…

Last edited: