Off trail riding on the local news

kirk600

Seriously, with the gps availability on newer sleds, eventually (5years max) your sled will tell on you. Law enforcement just needs the tools and an app. You have the VIN and gps....Then you will be forced into making a decision knowing the consequences.......

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skyler...its different in the yoop...you probably have triple the snow we have...we are lucky to have a 3 to 5 inch base...studded sleds have NEVER been the problem down here...studded sleds grab traction and go...non studded sleds spin...and wipe the corners down to the ice and a deep lug mountain works like a snow blower and blows the snow off the trail into the woods...making dangerous icy corners...prove me wrong (I've watched this)...the yoop is totally different than northern Wisconsin...you guys have triple the snow...also ...show me one guy with a long track who doesn't have a can...the majority of those guys are in their 20s and 30s and don't give a flying *%$...you rarely see guys over 50 with loud sleds...if u do they have short pecker syndrome
I am 55, my RMK does have an SLP can, passes the 84DB rating though, and I do have a short pecker...

Last edited:

skiroule

Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist this. I'm 73 and I have two 155's - RMK Assault and Indy Voyageur, both with stock exhaust (although I have to admit I'm mostly deaf anyway). As far as the male endowment, if I can find it to give you a measurement, I'll report back - it's cold up here in northern MN.

But seriously, some people on here have made excellent points about the marketing focus on off-trail sleds. What do you see in most manufacturer's commercials? Pros out there shredding the deep, which appeals to a lot of buyers that at least want to have the sled, the gear, and the image. Which brings us to the comment about getting stuck 15 ft. off the trail. That one cause me to spit a little beverage on my keyboard. I doubt that banning the big tracks would make much difference as far as trespassing in most snow areas because you simply don't need the the big track to ride off-trail, a 130-ish trail track, which is almost becoming standard, would suffice.

Oh, and I do ride standing up some.

bayfly

I have two long tracks, both have full factory exhaust! That's 2 (&3?) now
I have a 146 x 2.6 with no can. Also a 137 trail sled, no can. I’m 60 and sometimes use a backpack for overnight trips. I even carry a shovel in my tunnel bag and stand up frequently. I have probably gotten stuck 15 feet or less from the trail.

Tuck

I ride a 137x1.25 with ice gripper track or a 146x2. No can on any sled we own. I have been stuck about 2 foot off the trail before in a ditch with running water under a beautiful blanket of snow. yep also have a shovel on the tunnel bag at times and own a backpack for overnight trips, stand to ride often and over 50. Go off trail only in areas that are legal to do so. As for pecker the only opinion I care about is the wife and she is happy.

All these issues come back to personal responsibility/accountability or the lack of it in todays society

snomoman

67.... 5'-10....230.... 1.5 x 137 x 15.....6"....just an avg. non vac. fat WI guy.

aftermarket pipes and exhaust should only be legal on those sweet sweet triple 2 strokes. ....
Oh no… now I’ve got this crazy visual in my mind with all those dimensions, next time in the future when I read all your posts all I can do is visualize what you look like now, hopefully the last measurement is without the “little blue pill”… ha ha

kirk600

I don't think anyone on this website has trouble understanding the issue of off trail riding on private land........ it's been going on too long already.
The question is how can we educate the masses without alienating them from the clubs or state association?
On one side we all love fresh snow, first tracks off the trail etc, but in a new area how do you get the message of what is okay vs off limits?
When you're in a group and you're not leading how many people will risk getting lost in the woods by not staying with your group?? I mean you may have no idea where you are at? I have personally rode certain areas for 20 years plus, on sleds, dirt bikes and atv so I have knowledge of public vs private land. The first 3-5 years I followed tracks........or followed another person..... same scenario is happening with the new folks. I can't (won't) buy a plat book for every county in Michigan, Wisconsin etc and most city dwellers have never heard of them... which leaves me with the question??? How are we going to get the message on the trail or at the trailhead, hotel lobby, gas stations, in the bars and restaurants that the sledders are using?

old abe

Yeah, well, worst of all it seems to continue to get worse every year. Sadly, why is this? This is the question that needs to be answered? I have my own opinions, but will keep them to myself. If we can't prevent this from continueing to become worse, and worse, how will it ever become any better? Sad, but so it is!

favoritos

Riders make the choice, it's not the sled. Riding off trail in closed areas with a loud can isn't an automatic function of the sled.
It's too bad the discussion continues.
We are talking about people causing the problem and we talk about it a lot. It's the old 80/20 rule. Eighty percent of effort goes into twenty percent of people causing the problem.

cooksend

That's cool that u don't run a can and run off trail...but you know damn well you've seen mountain sleds with cans up here...you are rare..the exception to the rule....its killing us up here...the amount of complaints and threats to close trails is real...we deal with it everyday...and some guys just don't give a flying (you know what)....I work two jobs and still find the time to mark trails, brush trails and pack swamps...and as a member of the board of directors for my local club...this stuff pisses me off...some people just have no clue how hard we work as a club to keep trails open, or that it's all volunteer (non paid)...its irritating to work this hard to have morons disrespect it...I wonder why I even bother sometimes...it feels like wasted time that nobody appreciates...I sometimes feel like some of our snowmobiling brethren are the dumbest F@#$%÷rs on the planet...its frustrating to care so much about a sport, that some people just suck at.
I completely agree that keeping trails open is work that most don't understand or even appreciate. You must however not classify all Mountain Sleds as the loud ones! I have been in the powersports industry since 1996 and can tell you that there are way too many trail sleds that are too damn loud and go where they are not suppose to go!

Thank you for all of your hard work!!!

SHOOT2KILL

Diesel powered groomers at full tilt 3200-3500 rpm are louder than the state mandated Db levels allowed for sleds...So it's not always the sleds pissing people off...A groomer rippin past your home @ 3am at full tilt, im sure pisses people off too...I personally did a test on a Vilas Co clubs groomer years ago....It FAILED...Also...On monday evening (8pm) as I left the Silverado Bar n Grill in downtown Tomahawk,Wi, and walked back to the motel next door. There was a sledder with pipes/can driving east on the deadend street between the Kwik-Trip and the Marathon station...What are the percentages this person is a local heading back home from a ride ?...Outsiders have always been easy prey, but the local clubs/leo's need to cleanup their own house too...

Last edited: