Polaris Mutt Mod

euphoric1

It’s hard to believe how many things can go wrong with a motor and yet they run most of the time. I did check the compression on both cylinders after I first got it running – 135 in both cylinders. Not great, but not bad for a 45 year-old motor. Also took a peek at the pistons back when I had the Y-pipe and carb boots off. Thought the pistons looked pretty good.

First thing I did tonight was to check something I thought I’d seen with the first set of carbs and wanted make sure it wasn’t my imagination.

I started it and held the idle just low enough to keep it running on one cylinder. Then I gave the mag side carb a couple of shots of gas. Bam - that cylinder started firing and the RPMs jumped by a couple of thousand. So it wasn’t my imagination. Next thing was to swap the carbs and run the test again. Same result, only started firing on the mag side at idle when I gave it a shot of gas.

I guess what this tells me is that I can rule out some kind of ignition problem and it suggests that there is a fuel/air ratio issue that is not providing the proper ratio to fire the cylinder at idle. After seeing the same result with three different carbs, it’s probably safe to say it’s not the carb. It could still be a boot issue but the boots are new so that’s a long shot.

I should have tried to run it without the pipe but after removing the pipe I figured I might as well tear into the seal because I wanted to change it anyway. Even for a hack mechanic, it’s less than an hour job to get it out. I love the seal design of these Fuji engines. The mag and pto sides are slightly different but the concept is similar. Rather than drive the seal into the case, the seal is mounted in a plate which is fastened to the case with four bolts/screws.

This is what it looks like on the mag side before removal and after replacement.
View attachment 69014

View attachment 69015

I was hoping the seal would look visibly bad but it didn’t have any obvious flaws, no tears or chunks missing. It seemed a little spongy but maybe that’s wishful thinking.

Anyway, the seal is in and stator plate re-mounted.
View attachment 69016

I put the flywheel back on but don’t have the right size socket to snug down the flywheel bolt (I cheated on the socket taking it off but didn’t want to torque it down without the right one).

We’ll see if it makes a difference tomorrow night but I have this uneasy feeling Euphoric1, that you’ve been right all along, it really wasn’t the seal after all.

Thanks for letting me think out loud about this!
skiroule, just throwing some easy ideas to eliminate the obvious and diagnose where the real issue may lie without first tearing into or down something you may not have to, at my shop I am always doing pressure/vac tests on 2 stroke and 4 mix engines not only to determine a cause but to prevent repeat failures as there is always a cause for every effect and sometimes the cause is not so obvious, I have a box full of rubber wedges and block off plates and I hear ya about these and being sure for proper fit. compression like you said 135 not perfect but it is a 45 year old engine, that seal design is definitely an easy fix without major tear down. I just worked on a mud buddy engine in a duck boat , it was a briggs engine that someone had purchased a Mikuni carb kit for, the customer had installed it, couldn't get it running right, would spit back through the carb, idle was unstable and the transition between idle and acceleration really lacked luster, the mikuni kit came with an intake boot same as an older style intake boot on a snowmobile. It had the molded o-ring on backside which was meant to seal when the boot was tightened to manifold but when you would tighten it down it wouldnt seal against manifold, it would warp and leak in the middle of the boot. I thought before I had found this that maybe there was some jetting that had to be done. I ended up carefully taking a razor blade removing sealing ring from behind boot so it would fully sit flat against manifold, remounting it and using Rite-stuff sealant between boot and manifold and problem solved. Sorry to get long winded, there is always a cause for every effect and some are always not so obvious and can be easily overlooked, by some simple tests which don't involve a lot of tear down, the obvious can be eliminated and the true problem can be determined. When people come into my shop and want to order a part that I feel they are doing so based on an assumption or a hope that I will be an instant fix I always question and help to determine that they truly need what they think they need. Hope I was able to help you and am anxiously awaiting the result.

skiroule

I really appreciate your throwing out ideas, you've dealt with more two-stroke engines than most see in a lifetime. I think i'm guilty of being one of those people that would be coming in, looking for an instant fix.:)

It's interesting that you mention the boot because that is exactly the type of boots that are on it. I don't think it would take much of a boot leak to really mess up the fuel ratio. If the new seal doesn't change things, that will be my next move. I just can't think of anything else that would be leaning out the fuel ratio on that cylinder. I have some older style boots that came with the used carbs and maybe some others lying around that could maybe be used to swap it out. It's a long shot but then, so is the seal.

euphoric1

I really appreciate your throwing out ideas, you've dealt with more two-stroke engines than most see in a lifetime. I think i'm guilty of being one of those people that would be coming in, looking for an instant fix.:)

It's interesting that you mention the boot because that is exactly the type of boots that are on it. I don't think it would take much of a boot leak to really mess up the fuel ratio. If the new seal doesn't change things, that will be my next move. I just can't think of anything else that would be leaning out the fuel ratio on that cylinder. I have some older style boots that came with the used carbs and maybe some others lying around that could maybe be used to swap it out. It's a long shot but then, so is the seal.
the only other thing outside of everything else would be damage around the intake or transfer ports will directly affect idle but that would be last resort

skiroule

Well, the Mutt has finally learned to bark.' Like garageguy said, it might be a tippy little screamer yet.

Put everything back together and the seal wasn’t the issue, just as euphoric1 suspected that it probably wasn’t. But his story about the warped carb boot prompted me to pull the boot. I could see that there was fuel residue outside the built-in O-ring (there shouldn’t be). Luckily, I had various boots lying around and I found one that would fit.

Yep, turned out to be the friggin’ brand-new carb boot. Have to decide if I just want to leave the boot I put on or replace it but at least I can now think about moving on. It sounds pretty good.

It’s looking like I might have to find a longer belt. I have the chain case adjusted all the way forward and the belt still seems too tight and it probably will creep at idle.

goofy600

Well so much for my theory, I was going to ask if you checked the muffler bearings?🤣 Seriously though glad you got it figured out!

skiroule

Ok... set the leaf rake down for a bit and do some wrenching.
LOL, I suspect that at times, trying to follow this thread is like watching paint dry. Not much is happening.

Soft water fishing is done for the season and we’ll be moving back to the house full-time next week so maybe that will help with the progress.

I did just order hood decals and headlights so at least I’m thinking about getting at the hood.

Most of my spare time over the last 6 weeks has been spent fortifying the foundation on the front of the cabin (almost done!). Much of it is typically under water and with no breakwater to protect it, years of waves and wakes had started to gnaw away at the seam between the foundation and the bedrock. With the lake level being low, I had to take advantage of the opportunity to repair it.

I added more concrete all along the base but first I had to build a work path out of rock and crushed rock. It would have been impossible to work from the sloped, underwater snot-slick bedrock. I hauled all the concrete and rock down to the front of the building by hand (there is no access to the front for a vehicle). I’m no spring chicken so this was a workout for me.

The path might be a sufficient breakwater to protect most of the repaired seam but I plan use it as a base to build a higher breakwater this winter when I can haul larger rocks via snowmobile. I’ll finish the painting next year.

IMG_2658_1.jpg

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL, I suspect that at times, trying to follow this thread is like watching paint dry. Not much is happening.

Soft water fishing is done for the season and we’ll be moving back to the house full-time next week so maybe that will help with the progress.

I did just order hood decals and headlights so at least I’m thinking about getting at the hood.

Most of my spare time over the last 6 weeks has been spent fortifying the foundation on the front of the cabin (almost done!). Much of it is typically under water and with no breakwater to protect it, years of waves and wakes had started to gnaw away at the seam between the foundation and the bedrock. With the lake level being low, I had to take advantage of the opportunity to repair it.

I added more concrete all along the base but first I had to build a work path out of rock and crushed rock. It would have been impossible to work from the sloped, underwater snot-slick bedrock. I hauled all the concrete and rock down to the front of the building by hand (there is no access to the front for a vehicle). I’m no spring chicken so this was a workout for me.

The path might be a sufficient breakwater to protect most of the repaired seam but I plan use it as a base to build a higher breakwater this winter when I can haul larger rocks via snowmobile. I’ll finish the painting next year.

View attachment 69051
Ski,
That may be a cabin in Minnesota, but it's called a second home here in Wisconsin. Very nice!

skiroule

Ski,
That may be a cabin in Minnesota, but it's called a second home here in Wisconsin. Very nice!
Funny stuff Gary. It's come a long way since we bought it 10 years ago but I seem to be on a 50 year improvement program. If you think my sled work is slow......

pclark

View attachment 69051
I feel your pain Skiroule, hauling rocks and concrete is a ballbuster, take the rest of the fall off and enjoy the winter!

goofy600

Sorry for the slight hijack or your thread now back to your posting hopefully. I’m impressed with your restoration work and still have time to work around camp and go fishing. I haven’t been out fishing in over a month.

skiroule

Sorry for the slight hijack or your thread now back to your posting hopefully. I’m impressed with your restoration work and still have time to work around camp and go fishing. I haven’t been out fishing in over a month.
Not something to be concerned about at all. I really enjoy it when people share some of their experiences and accomplishments and believe me, your place is an accomplishment. I keep looking at your photo and thinking about what it must be like to sit out on that deck on a nice day/evening. Then there is the matter of the rock :)

I have neglected the fishing somewhat this summer myself. It's good when friends and family come up to fish because it makes me get my priorities back in order and take the time to really focus on fishing.

skiroule

I been working on a sled trailer, hoping to get it ready to sell before the snow flies but guess I missed that deadline. A little wet snow today and more to come over the next day or so.

Anyway, I figured I better show some sign of life on the project. It occurred to me that I hadn’t test-fit the hood since it was painted and the under-hood stuff was mostly finished. The side emblems were ready to install so I stuck those on before seeing how the hood fit. Everything clears so I think it’s good to go.

Not a huge update but it does provide a small glimpse of the end-goal. Interesting looking little sled, a one-year-only model design from Polaris.

IMG_2666_1.jpg

IMG_2667_1.jpg