Polaris Mutt Mod

skiroule

Two days of almost nonstop rain/snow mix gave me the opening I needed to get back in the shop and work on the hood.

Seemed like the headlights took forever. The originals are no longer available so I went with GE 4411’s, which are often used in older tractors. They fit the openings but everything had to be modified to make them work – wiring, trim rings, retainers, the whole works. Fortunately, I had molded in the homemade wiring clips back when I was rebuilding the hood so that at least that was done. Looking at it now, it looks so simple.
IMG_2675_1.jpg

Otherwise, things went pretty well. Some loose ends to tie up and I can start to focus on the seat, which, as dwz says, should add a few more mph if properly configured. I know it’s my vintage roots showing, but I really like the ATX look.
IMG_2680_1.jpg

After a few option evaluations, mezz had the right idea of painting the vent trim to match the chassis. It seems to tie everything together
IMG_2682_1.jpg

pclark

Looks very nice Ski Roule! I'm curious, after restoring the sled what do you think the current value is for it now?

mezz

That looks awsome! Again, you have to love the attention to detail. Everything about this process has been emaculately done. Your skills are off the chart. Nice job.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two days of almost nonstop rain/snow mix gave me the opening I needed to get back in the shop and work on the hood.

Seemed like the headlights took forever. The originals are no longer available so I went with GE 4411’s, which are often used in older tractors. They fit the openings but everything had to be modified to make them work – wiring, trim rings, retainers, the whole works. Fortunately, I had molded in the homemade wiring clips back when I was rebuilding the hood so that at least that was done. Looking at it now, it looks so simple.
View attachment 69129

Otherwise, things went pretty well. Some loose ends to tie up and I can start to focus on the seat, which, as dwz says, should add a few more mph if properly configured. I know it’s my vintage roots showing, but I really like the ATX look.
View attachment 69130

After a few option evaluations, mezz had the right idea of painting the vent trim to match the chassis. It seems to tie everything together
View attachment 69131
Just for grins, I pulled up a picture of the Mutt on Day One.

MUTT.jpg
Impressive isn't a big enough word!​

skiroule

Glad you guys are still hanging in there! It’s not the longest project you have had to try to follow but we’ve certainly blown well past the one year mark.

Curiosity got the best of me today so I hacked up a few pieces of scrap foam and spent a little time trying to visualize a seat shape. You need a pretty good imagination to see the potential. Eventually I'll improve on it.
IMG_2693_1.jpg

I have some time, as my seat cover guy is tied up until early December. I think he’ll be able to knock it out fairly quickly once he gets started.

skiroule

Looks very nice Ski Roule! I'm curious, after restoring the sled what do you think the current value is for it now?
I think the Mutt will be a cool little sled but not being a numbers matching ATX it wouldn’t command anywhere near the kind of money of that the real thing would. I think we’re talking $1500 - $1800 for the right buyer. I hate to think what that would work out to per/hour after expenses, but I can't seem to sell anything anyway :)

skiroule

It took a few re-writes to get this written. It’s a bit of a departure from my usual updates and a little long but I hope people will take the time to read it.

Reflecting on all things for which we are thankful, I have much to thank John for. Through this website he has provided a forum that has allowed me to share some vintage riding and project experiences with people I may never meet in person but consider friends.

What might not be known to many is that John was largely responsible for my getting back into vintage sledding after several years of absence. A dozen or so years ago when he and Snoluver1 (Adam) concocted a plan to build a vintage sled to raffle off at John’s annual Make-A-Wish event, I offered to help a little with parts since I only lived about a hundred miles from a large salvage yard. Spending time with all that old iron again really got the vintage juices flowing.

A few years later I got a call from Adam telling me that John had asked him if we wanted to get the band back together to build one more vintage sled for the tenth (and final) Make-A-Wish event. This was an easy decision and it was kind of weird because I already had given thought to proposing such a project and had a sled model in mind.

One of my favorite all-time sledding memories was when, after putting the final tune on the second Make-A-Wish sled at John’s place, John, Adam, and I took a vintage sled trail ride to the Cliff View bar to relax with a refreshing beverage and celebrate a project finished. John took to that Make-A-Wish sled like a duck to water but then, I think he could look at home riding any form of sled.

The next day the sled was hauled down to the Mosquito Inn for display, which required getting it through the narrow front door. There was much head scratching, laughter, (and maybe a little trash talk), but with help from the Mosquito people, we got it shoehorned though the door.

Once the sled was set up in the corner, I snapped a couple of shots of John with the sled. I think the pride he felt in being able to make this project happen really comes through in the photos.

DSC_0177_1.jpg

Before we all parted company, he insisted on putting a showroom shine on the sled.

DSC_0181_1.jpg

For all he has done and for all the good times, I thought the Mutt needed one more addition.

IMG_2774_1.jpg