Polaris Mutt Mod

mezz

WOW! That looks beautiful! The seat came out excellent. Your lucky you have enough snow to buzz around on, right now we have just enough to cover the grass. Nice work as always. It's been fun watching this come to fruition. Anything else planned? Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

kirk600

Looks amazing Kelly! Those colors really pop in the sun...... now enjoy the snow and put some miles on it for the rest of us who don't have snow yet!😁
Do you happen to know what the length of the front shocks are ? I might order some for the centurion

skiroule

Looks amazing Kelly! Those colors really pop in the sun...... now enjoy the snow and put some miles on it for the rest of us who don't have snow yet!😁
Do you happen to know what the length of the front shocks are ? I might order some for the centurion
I’ve always liked the midnight blue but I think this is my favorite shade of Polaris blue. Like you said, it really comes to life in the sun.

I got the shocks from Speedway Motors. The installed “ride height” is pretty close to what I needed (about 11.75”) which I think is roughly what the Centurion shocks are. I’m sure the shock bodies are a little larger (1.625”) than the stock TX/TXL/Centurion shocks so spring clearance would be tight but they would probably fit. You would need to do some measuring. This is the link to the ones I bought.
TX Shocks

Last edited:

skiroule

You guys know vintage sleds and either have or have ridden the old iron so it’s good to hear that you approve of the work. This was the hardest project I’ve ever attempted and it definitely pushed the limits of my ability.
Anything else planned? Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.
I had to chuckle at this but it’s a fair question. I would have to pick up the pace a little though. I’m not getting any younger;);). I do have a couple of sleds I could tackle; one is easier but think the other would be more interesting to most people. We’ll have to see if anything develops over the off-season but there’s no question, the shop/project work is excellent physical and mental therapy.

I am going to try to hit a couple of vintage events this winter, the first being the AK vintage show in East Grand Forks in early Feb. They’ve also resurrected the Iron Man ride in the U.P. (based out of the Boondocks in Toivola) to be held in late Feb. and I’d love to make that ride. There could be conflicts with my schedule so that one is only penciled in at this point.

euphoric1

how does the saying go.... " shines like a new penny" WOW!! skiroule, truly a master at your craft! any hint at what would be "more interesting to people"? looking forward to the next! Like the snow too! wished it looked like that here too!

skiroule

Really can’t thank you guys enough for sticking with me on these long projects. There are many times it keeps me pushing ahead. If there is one thing I’d like to change it would be getting them done faster. I suppose it’s like the old saying: If you don’t like this speed, you really won’t like my other one.

On a nice sunny day you should line up all your restorations on the snow and take a nice picture for a us all.
Others have also mentioned this. Now that the current project is finished, I might be able to make it happen this winter. A couple of the sleds weren’t run at all last winter and pretty much everything needs a going over. I already have my primary 79 rider in the shop, doing a carb swap and fuel pump rebuild.

how does the saying go.... " shines like a new penny" WOW!! skiroule, truly a master at your craft! any hint at what would be "more interesting to people"? looking forward to the next! Like the snow too! wished it looked like that here too!
I guess I’m not sure the direction I might go on a future project. I think that if I were to attempt another project it might be to go back to something green, as in John Deere. Yes, John Deere. I have some thoughts in mind.

And yes, we are lucky to have enough very local snow to do some limited riding and the lakes/rivers are snow covered and good riding where the ice is safe.

Thanks again Kelly for taking us along on the journey, will be at the Boondocks Inn vintage ride in Twin Lakes
Excellent, if I can make it, I’ll message you. With a little luck I'll see you there!

It's a work of art. Very impressive. You should be proud.
I was sitting out in the shop last night, sipping a couple of cold ones and just studying the sled. I will say that this is the build I’ve taken the most satisfaction in completing. Everywhere I look on the sled I see subtle and not so subtle modifications/fabrications and yet, I think it still looks like a sled that could have come off the assembly line, which as I’ve said before, was really my vision for the project.

My wife snapped this when I was running laps around the property. When I saw this photo, I thought: “Old guy, old sled – guess it fits.”

IMG_2184_1.jpg