R&R Trailers????

twodeere

I bought mine at Spicers in Houghton Lake, MI. I took a few pictures. I laid treated 12" wide strips of plywood on the flat portion of the trailer deck to prevent stud damage. So far the plywood has lasted and this is will be the 5th sledding season. Wood is held down by galvanized carrige bolts. Driving out the back door, the guides act as mats.
112939.jpg

harski

twodeere, thanks for posting the pictures. Question for you, do your skis ever catch the tie downs? Why doesn't your rear ramp guides line up with the ones in the box? I too am studded on both sleds and will have to lay down a mat or plywood as you did. Have you ever tried the ski covers? I had wondered how well they would work.

harski

twodeere

Harski- I wanted the outer ski guides inside the trailer tight to the walls. However at the back corner of the trailer there is a few inches on each side of bracing(check out the picture). I have to turn the skis to avoid it. The outer guides on the rear door are at the outer edges of the door.
Never had a problem with skis catching the D rings either. Ski's glide right over the top of them. I do have a pair of ski covers and used them once. Sort of a pain to put on everytime and the guides really work well. Might be cheaper to get two sets of ski covers and not worry about guides though.

harski

twodeere, I see what you're talking about with the bracing. Makes sense. Thanks for all the valuable information. I'll add it to the do's and don't's list when I find a trailer.

I have to ask, would you buy another R&R? How has in been to tow with the three sleds? Since I've been networking with Mvedepo I've come to find out that R&R's run a little heavier in weight than the competition. This must be from the diamond plate and additional crossmembers (being that they're 16" on center) and extra ceiling height (6'6"). I'd like to get just a little larger unit but still would want to tow with a 1500 series Suburban (04). What do you think?

harski

twodeere

Harski- I would buy another R & R for sure. I would upgrade to alum. wheels and SS cambars. I really like the side door as well. I got a great deal on mine(bought as a end of season demo model) so the price was right. According to the 2005 spec sheet I have, the 716PS weight is 2075#. The 714PS is listed at 1975#. I have always wondered what the actual weight really is.
I pull mine with a 2005 Ford Expedition. No problems towing it. Three sleds, three guys & gear from SW suburbs of Chicago to Houghton. I cruise at 65-70 so not setting any speed records.

eagle1

great info guys

another question. do you get alot of moisture build up with the bare walls?

mvedepo

Do you have closer pics of them on the trailer?

Photoshop is only so good. :)

I am torn between Opt C and B

Also if you have larger pics of your trailer that you could email me I would love to get a better look at it.

Thanks!

jim

on option C... good luck getting that screw out that holds the "nut cover" on, esp. after a couple years of road salt. chances are you'll be on the side of the road in freezing temp. trying to change a flat...jmho

twodeere

Eagle 1- on cold mornings, lots of frost on the inside of the walls.

I like option B. But they are all nice compared to the rusted steel wheels I had(summer project- painted my rusted wheels gloss black).
112976.jpg

g_eich

Has anyone used a R & R Deluxe cargo trailer for towing sleds? I have found one but it will not have the drive out front. I guess to me its not that big of a deal to back them out since we have done it for years with our clamshell. These trailers are hard to come by if your looking for used.

I found a 19foot box plus v-nose (I beleive 3 1/2 feet), can I get 3 136 sleds in it?

zappie1213

i have a 7512 r&r trailer and can get two 136 inch and a 121 inch in there they do fit like a glove! done it many of times

harski

twodeere, thanks for your input regarding purchasing another trailer and towing. I also set the cruise at 72mph and leave it there. Less stress wondering where the county mounties are the whole way! Your rims looking great and I'm also a option B too.

Mevdepo, option D isn't bad also. That would be my second pick. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Harski