Reserving a Lightening tonight.

slimcake

Fossil fuels - 60%
Nuclear - 20%
Renewables- 20%

Demand for NG is expected to rise over the next 20+ years and then level out.

Btw- Anyone know how many gallons of oil a wind turbine gearbox holds?

About 400 gallons if I am not mistaken. Say that oil, just the oil, is 13 bucks a gallon. Thats 5200 dollars, just in the oil to keep it spinning. Thats over 43,000 KWH. Just for the oil thats in one of them things. Reminds me of this one.... de-icing-wind-turbine.jpg

rayds

just sharing some info I happened to listen to on a broadcast about electric vehicles. The person was/is from University of St. Thomas and part of a brain trust. The brain trust as he described was formed to look at the benefits of electric vehicles regarding pollution. The conclusion was if evaluated on the use of electric vehicles, the electric vehicle was beneficial. BUT if evaluated based on the "global" overall pollution, it is a wash. This was because of the Rare Earth Elements required to make the batteries and motors used in electric vehicles. The procurement of the REE is a very "dirty" process in foreign countries, one of the primary sources are mines in China.

Hoosier

just sharing some info I happened to listen to on a broadcast about electric vehicles. The person was/is from University of St. Thomas and part of a brain trust. The brain trust as he described was formed to look at the benefits of electric vehicles regarding pollution. The conclusion was if evaluated on the use of electric vehicles, the electric vehicle was beneficial. BUT if evaluated based on the "global" overall pollution, it is a wash. This was because of the Rare Earth Elements required to make the batteries and motors used in electric vehicles. The procurement of the REE is a very "dirty" process in foreign countries, one of the primary sources are mines in China.

I thought pollution doesn't count if it comes from China? Did I miss something?

goofy600

Quick google search.
The typical wind turbine is 2-3 MW in power, so most turbines cost in the $2-4 million dollar range. Operation and maintenance runs an additional $42,000-$48,000 per year according to research on wind turbine operational cost.Mar 24, 2020

This was the first google search that popped up didn’t verify but makes sense I would guess,
Second google search
Average lifespan is 20 years take 3,000,000 add 50,000 maintenance and that breaks down to 200,000 a year that is cost to run so can it produce more than that a year?

Last edited:

2TrakR

400 gals is by far way over stated.

Dear Old Abe:
https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2016/04/08/oil-leaks-at-wind-turbines-in-the-thumb-not-a-rarity/

"Exelon says the fallen turbine held about 400 gallons of oil."

"There are 32 turbines in Exelon Wind Generation’s Harvest 1 project in Oliver and Chandler townships. A 400-foot, 485,000-pound turbine that fell on Feb. 25 spilled 25 gallons of greases, oil and coolant, according to the DEQ (http://bit.ly/1TVboJD). The spill posed “no imminent drinking water or environmental health threat,” a DEQ official told the Tribune."

PS -

old abe said:
I have no idea where you are buying your diesel fuel, but I would highly recommend finding a better source than the one supplying 40 cetane rated diesel fuel! I haven't heard of any diesel fuel being offered at that level cetane in many, many years?

All of the diesel pumps I use here (MI) have the sticker on the pump that says cetane of 40. Stamped by MI Dept of Ag.

old abe

Dear Old Abe:
https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2016/04/08/oil-leaks-at-wind-turbines-in-the-thumb-not-a-rarity/

"Exelon says the fallen turbine held about 400 gallons of oil."

"There are 32 turbines in Exelon Wind Generation’s Harvest 1 project in Oliver and Chandler townships. A 400-foot, 485,000-pound turbine that fell on Feb. 25 spilled 25 gallons of greases, oil and coolant, according to the DEQ (http://bit.ly/1TVboJD). The spill posed “no imminent drinking water or environmental health threat,” a DEQ official told the Tribune."

PS -

All of the diesel pumps I use here (MI) have the sticker on the pump that says cetane of 40. Stamped by MI Dept of Ag.

Believe what ever you like. However the 400 gallons of oil is a false statement. As for the Cetane of "40", I suggest you look into it more, and would definitely find a better source of diesel, with a higher cetane level fuel! Both my fuel suppliers have 46 cetane as a minimum level. The fuel I use is of 48/49 cetane level. Fuel with a cetane level of 40 is not available to me.

ezra

Tonight is the night! Ford taking reservations for 2022 delivery of the new electric F150. I will keep my 18 FX4 for towing and long trips. Expect to be using the E Pickup about 90 percent of the rest of the time.

Good luck with that
I have learned my lessons to many times on new model sleds bikes and trucks . I will get in to a holdover 23

eagle1

The pace Ford is building trucks it will be a '24 model. Lol. The top executive's should be working salary free for this chip fiasco.

saber1

https://vimeo.com/102760866 I dont know if anyone has ever seen this Documentary but will give u a new perspective on where we were and where we could of been now .In 1996 GM was developing EV then Abruptly stopped ..By who you ask well my opinion the Oil companies just because of the simple fact there was 100 trillion dollars of oil still left under our feet sometimes the free market gets it wrong

heckler56

Believe what ever you like. However the 400 gallons of oil is a false statement. As for the Cetane of "40", I suggest you look into it more, and would definitely find a better source of diesel, with a higher cetane level fuel! Both my fuel suppliers have 46 cetane as a minimum level. The fuel I use is of 48/49 cetane level. Fuel with a cetane level of 40 is not available to me.

I do have a small blender in my neck of the woods and their premium diesel is 45 cetane. We agree that going from mid to high 40’s to low 40’s is junk. My original comment was to think about what is mid to high 40’s compared to 80’s and above over in Europe. Junk.

heckler56

So my utility sent out notices that during the summer months rates will rise significantly between 2-7pm. No big deal for charging my EV but I am a winter guy and I do run the AC during summer allot.

A couple days later we received a letter from the utility saying never mind you were sent that rate increase letter in error you have an EV and your rates won’t be changing.

To give some perspective to the group on my costs for electricity on the EV since I purchased it. $108 in electricity to drive 1,476 miles.

ezra

https://vimeo.com/102760866 I dont know if anyone has ever seen this Documentary but will give u a new perspective on where we were and where we could of been now .In 1996 GM was developing EV then Abruptly stopped ..By who you ask well my opinion the Oil companies just because of the simple fact there was 100 trillion dollars of oil still left under our feet sometimes the free market gets it wrong

Don't think so . Best look in to who some of the largest investors in "Green energy " are .

ezra

"Reserving a Lightening [sic] tonight."
"Lightening"?
Isn't that some kind of non-dairy "Coffee Creamer" — but with no "cream"?

Then there's this kind of Lightning:
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/99UBp6aJkTw" title="YouTube video player" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

and also this kind of "Lightning" (wait for it, live in ≈4 hours):

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yjisj5T0VqE" title="YouTube video player" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Yeah, I'm just feelin' ornery today! :devilish:

If ford is so dedicated to a green energy plant then why did they bail on the highland park MN plant that they had there own hydro electric dam and it ran the whole ranger plant ?

saber1

sure the oil companies are investing in Green energy now they know its going to make them money They realized if u cant beat them join them.In 96 it was a threat to their profits

old abe

I do have a small blender in my neck of the woods and their premium diesel is 45 cetane. We agree that going from mid to high 40’s to low 40’s is junk. My original comment was to think about what is mid to high 40’s compared to 80’s and above over in Europe. Junk.

Cetane levels in Europe for their equivalent of US Premium diesel is right at 51. Right at the same as ours.

Last edited:
I read elsewhere online speculating that real target market for all electric trucks that the manufacturers have in mind is municipal government fleet trucks for things like city maintenance or parks/rec departments where the usage is low miles and the vehicle can get charged overnight and weekends, often in a climate controlled garage. Any retail sales are just icing on the cake.