SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

whitedust

Finally a promising forecast coming in from John for SE WI. Let's hope it plays out!

RS
What’s your opinion of pending conditions? I’ve been looking at standing corn and a whole lot of mud , swamps and lakes open water. I wondering if I should even try since so warm!

ryanslyne

We put some signs in for another club over the weekend. Things are actually fairly dry now and at that time there was an inch or two of frost in the ground, I would bet there still is especially after the cold weather today. If we get a decent amount of snow I would imagine they could be good to go as long as all the clubs have at least their state corridor trails in. Of course it will be like any other county/ area in Wisconsin this year. Some spots good some bad maybe a few wet spots here and there, but that sounds like that is going to be a statewide problem for the whole season given the wet year we had statewide in 2019.

RS

ridindirty800

What’s your opinion of pending conditions? I’ve been looking at standing corn and a whole lot of mud , swamps and lakes open water. I wondering if I should even try since so warm!

The rain Thursday-Friday untill changes to snow could be a problem. Most lakes are wide open and may have skimmed over last night with the single digit temps. But calling for near 50 tomorrow with rain then the snow. Like Ryan said little to no frost at all in ground and rain might take it that out. The section of trail that I mark is 100% in ( 1 of 4 sections in Elkhorn stytem) and I know at our last Dec meeting all the other sections were in but where there was corn. Not sure if all corn is down or not yet, I know farmers have been tilling all week with no frozen ground. Water levels are high and with rain and warm next 2 days swamps will not be froze that is for sure. Looks like early next week back to upper 30's before we finally get a good freeze my middle to end of week that would help a lot. Like Ryan said the biggest issue is also going to what parts of the trails are 100% in. Many of the stakes in SE. went is with 2-4" of frost in ground back in mid Dec and then the warm and rains came with 50mph winds over the holidays and there are also stakes that got knock down so be careful and watch for that. We re pounded and stood a bunch last week and I am going to check again later today for any others. Its been a fight for farmers, trail insallations and now for snowmobilers if we get snow. Hope the 2nd half of winter brings cold and snow so we can enjoy the trails for all work it has taken this year.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

You might get lucky. We just got back from the YOOP and we left our sleds UP there for our next trip so the only sled I have here to ride is my Interceptor 550 ...LOL..

ridindirty800

You might get lucky. We just got back from the YOOP and we left our sleds UP there for our next trip so the only sled I have here to ride is my Interceptor 550 ...LOL..

Looking that way... Early forcast is 1-3" Firday night and then a pause until Saturday afternoon when the next storm rolls in until Sunday morning, calling for 6-10" with that storm at the moment. Good News they seemed to back off on rain today and Friday with maybe some freezing drizzle or very light showers.

euphoric1

Crossing fingers for the area, long overdue! looks like slight warm up next week but lets hope it stays as it will be a wet snow and would be nice to lay down a base for more to fall upon!

ryanslyne

Things are looking promising we will have to just keep our fingers crossed. We didn't get much rain at all today so that is a good thing. Looks like they are still calling for snow just how much is the question. Sounds like JohnD is at least expecting 3-6" for us maybe more depending on how it sets up. As Ridindirty800 said a lot of it will depend on what trails are in and what trails are not. The county is split into two zones so that may play in here as well who knows. How much we actually get is the question. Either way it is going to be a good start. The slight warm up next week that they have in there now sounds like it will bring more snow with it on the tail end of it so that can only help things before the big cool down end of next week. I think the warm weather will help after the snow falls settling stuff in rather than it just blowing around everywhere like it can commonly do around here. We will see what happens and I will report back as we get going!

RS

ryanslyne

Looking like a .25" of ice tonight and then 1-3" of snow and another 5-10" tomorrow for most of our area in Walworth county. Let's get it going! Sunny and 35F now. Had some of our landowners putting tile into fields yesterday reporting greasy mud on top of 2-3" of frost. At least there is a little bit of frost. Perhaps the .25" of ice first will be a good thing for the trails at least. Not sure about for everything else! haha But then put some snow on top of that it could help to have that icy junk first. Our local weather guessers are all over the place ranging in totals depending on the station. I will stick to John's forecast and our local NWS forecast. Will report back as we get it!

RS

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Looking like a .25" of ice tonight and then 1-3" of snow and another 5-10" tomorrow for most of our area in Walworth county. Let's get it going! Sunny and 35F now. Had some of our landowners putting tile into fields yesterday reporting greasy mud on top of 2-3" of frost. At least there is a little bit of frost. Perhaps the .25" of ice first will be a good thing for the trails at least. Not sure about for everything else! haha But then put some snow on top of that it could help to have that icy junk first. Our local weather guessers are all over the place ranging in totals depending on the station. I will stick to John's forecast and our local NWS forecast. Will report back as we get it!

RS

Unfortunately the snow will take the 2-3 " of frost out of the ground. Once again if we get rideable snow you guys can thank me..LOL..

ridindirty800

RAIN RAIN AND MORE RAIN overnight..... .74" of rain at my house in Northern Walworth County and .79" at my work in Southern Waukesha County. No snow at all overight just rain. Backing way off snow totals for the weekend and what we get will be a mess as the ground is not froze at all anymore. Forecasts are still all over but the most I have seen is 4-7" for tonight and I have seen some say only 2-4" so who knows. But we need some serious cold to get ground froze.

euphoric1

Denied once again uuuuuugh! when left shop last night.... POURING!! ground is very soft, lets hope we get something out of this depending on what station you watch somewhere between 2" - 10" with another possible snow event on weds, COME ON WINTER!! been too long for our corner of the state!

jd

Administrator
Staff member
HAVE FAITH KIDS!

I have no idea what other forecasters were saying with this storm, but I have always been calling for the main snow event to be later today into tonight and early tomorrow morning. I even used bold text for most of the week in my forecast text to help get the point across. I removed the bold yesterday because I had figured most had seen it and I did not need to emphasize anymore. So the fact that something other than snow fell in your areas up to this point is no surprise to me.

Anyway, still looks like SE WI and far NE IL will see 4-8" FROM AROUND 2-4 PM TODAY THROUGH 5-6 AM TOMORROW. The only changes I see in this system is a little less snow for NW IL and E IA. Totals there around 2-5", rather than 3-6.

-John

euphoric1

HAVE FAITH KIDS!

I have no idea what other forecasters were saying with this storm, but I have always been calling for the main snow event to be later today into tonight and early tomorrow morning. I even used bold text for most of the week in my forecast text to help get the point across. I removed the bold yesterday because I had figured most had seen it and I did not need to emphasize anymore. So the fact that something other than snow fell in your areas up to this point is no surprise to me.

Anyway, still looks like SE WI and far NE IL will see 4-8" FROM AROUND 2-4 PM TODAY THROUGH 5-6 AM TOMORROW. The only changes I see in this system is a little less snow for NW IL and E IA. Totals there around 2-5", rather than 3-6.

-John

Bring it on! Thanks John!

ridindirty800

HAVE FAITH KIDS!

-John

You as usual are spot on. The local guys were calling for 1-4" last night and another 4-8" tonight for a total of 5-12 two day total. But the snow stayed north of S.E Wi where they got about 1-3" and we got all rain and then everything turned to glare ice this a.m A real mess down here with many places without power and many branches are snapped and taking power lines down. Well bring on the snow tonight and see what happens.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
EL Busto!

Not that it makes a hill of beans of a difference to all of you wearing a scowl (and rightfully so) this morning, but the models just blew the snow side of this storm. Handled just about everything else fine, but no question the snowfall side of things was a big pile of bull do-do. Surprising that they blew it as close as 12 hours away.

On the consolation side of things. 2-3 light snow events between now and Wednesday night look to deposit that which did not fall with this latest storm. Sure hope it pans out for your folks down there!

-John

old abe

Yet another shnizzle fashizzle in SE WI......

Locals said mid week something big is coming, then the 6 to 12 inches thing, then 8 to10, 5 to 6, 2 to 4, finally 1 to 2. Ended with maybe 1? Oh well, I was in my local Lawn and Garden care shop Sat am, asked them how the snow blower, and other snow removal equipment sales went a few days prior to this BS storm? They were all smiles! I then asked them if they paid the weather forecasters to predict this kind of ----? They said no, but perhaps it may be a good idea! Whatever, it just sucks!