SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

snobuilder

Locals said mid week something big is coming, then the 6 to 12 inches thing, then 8 to10, 5 to 6, 2 to 4, finally 1 to 2. Ended with maybe 1? Oh well, I was in my local Lawn and Garden care shop Sat am, asked them how the snow blower, and other snow removal equipment sales went a few days prior to this BS storm? They were all smiles! I then asked them if they paid the weather forecasters to predict this kind of ----? They said no, but perhaps it may be a good idea! Whatever, it just sucks!

@HD we sold a buttload a snowblowers in late Oct. and early Nov......LOL ....and a few yesterday. Salt flew out the door for this storm.

ryanslyne

Friday rain, Early Saturday .25" ice (you could ice skate my driveway if you wanted), Saturday night into Sunday 2-3" snow. The ground is white but now we wait for more snow. Picked up a dusting last night but it looks like we will have to wait until this coming weekend to see if we can finally get going around here. I'm headed northbound Wednesday night. I can't handle waiting for things to transpire around here. So no reports out of me until I come back on Sunday. Let's hope I come back to some good news!

RS

timo

I ended up with as much snow sunday night (2-3 inches ) as did saturday night. (3 in. )
about 7 on ground now.

ryanslyne

Looks like all eyes will be on the Friday-Saturday storm again for this weekend. Hopefully this one plays out a little better for us! Then colder temps to follow!

RS

ridindirty800

About 4” (hard to tell with drifting) in Elkhorn area. Walworth and Waukesha trails are still closed. Walworth will be sending groomers out to pack down what we have and inspect trails. Cold is coming and a few chances for light snow but maybe it will add up to something bynext weekend!

snobuilder

About 4” (hard to tell with drifting) in Elkhorn area. Walworth and Waukesha trails are still closed. Walworth will be sending groomers out to pack down what we have and inspect trails. Cold is coming and a few chances for light snow but maybe it will add up to something bynext weekend!

This and a few more inches before Saturday the 25th could really help the conditions @ the Racine Co. Winterfest ....Great Lakes Dragway, Union Grove.

Fingers crossed.

timo

Trails open here in Wash. Co. and Fon du lac.
Little good little bad,, defintiley worth riding. Open field that aren't chiseled were hard and fast. Chiseled plow fields sucked but if you know where you're going they can be avoided.
Wasn't around any lakes, don't think they could be safe.

LOVE2RIDE

Never enough

Looks like all eyes will be on the Friday-Saturday storm again for this weekend. Hopefully this one plays out a little better for us! Then colder temps to follow!

RS

All this hype for an average 5 days of riding a year. Chisel plowed fields and 5" of snow. Go north.

whitedust

All this hype for an average 5 days of riding a year. Chisel plowed fields and 5" of snow. Go north.

Since moving to southeast WI I appreciate all that the clubs do to prepare trails BUT I do wonder at least this year if the temperatures will be cold enough to groom and get decent conditions. Wet areas and lakes and rivers seem like a big gamble. Wait and see but north trips are scheduled.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Since moving to southeast WI I appreciate all that the clubs do to prepare trails BUT I do wonder at least this year if the temperatures will be cold enough to groom and get decent conditions. Wet areas and lakes and rivers seem like a big gamble. Wait and see but north trips are scheduled.

WD - You MOVED from the Northwoods?? Please tell when this all came about. I was wondering why you were so quiet. Ironically, we have an accepted offer on a property between Boulder and Presque Isle.

ridindirty800

Whitedust, most of Walworth county has been groomed in last few days to try to get base down and inspect trails. At our meeting last night the groomer driver said big concern right now is many stakes through out the county have fallen down around new years when frost came out of ground and we had rain and high winds before freezing up again. Our club is going out to check and fix our section in case we get enough snow to open. In open areas about 4ish inches of frost and less in tall grass and swamp areas. Rough year for sure but many years Feb and early March has been pretty good (For southern Wi) at times. When did you leave the north come down here?

whitedust

Whitedust, most of Walworth county has been groomed in last few days to try to get base down and inspect trails. At our meeting last night the groomer driver said big concern right now is many stakes through out the county have fallen down around new years when frost came out of ground and we had rain and high winds before freezing up again. Our club is going out to check and fix our section in case we get enough snow to open. In open areas about 4ish inches of frost and less in tall grass and swamp areas. Rough year for sure but many years Feb and early March has been pretty good (For southern Wi) at times. When did you leave the north come down here?
Been here since about Halloween just in time for the cold snap and pumpkin snow lol. I joined the Tichigan club and I’m on the Fox River. I’ve done a lot of brush cutting and your right not much frost in the ground. I lived in Walworth County for 25 years previous to my 15 years in Vilas so I’m aware of the decline of winter in southern WI. I’m hopeful the area will get some riding days but as you say the lack of frost in the ground is concerning. Last week I trailered to Mountain and enjoyed their trails via park and ride. I’m busy with home improvements but still want to get 10 days of riding in UP and Vilas its a bonus to get any riding days in Racine and Walworth. To be completely honest if crap conditions I’ll stand down just travel north. It’s back to the future for me as a snow chaser but that’s ok I accept what I have to do to enjoy snowmobiling.

whitedust

WD - You MOVED from the Northwoods?? Please tell when this all came about. I was wondering why you were so quiet. Ironically, we have an accepted offer on a property between Boulder and Presque Isle.

Good luck in Boulder and PI area it’s a beautiful area but your neighbors are mostly tree huggers that can be a pita regarding noise, tree cutting and boat wakes a very conservative group nothing like ER and Phelps. If a 2nd home you’re ok but if your primary residence there’s no DRs ,minimal medical help and few amenities for the wifey. My wife hated it in Vilas she’s a shopper and only big box is in Rhinelander. Us guys don’t care we have fun on lakes and in the woods the ladies not so much. We mainly left because #3 daughter in southern WI was very ill and our house wasn’t listed but an area realtor but together a 1 time showing and an offer was made we couldn’t refuse. So here we are adjusting to life and whatever comes our way.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Good luck in Boulder and PI area it’s a beautiful area but your neighbors are mostly tree huggers that can be a pita regarding noise. So here we are adjusting to life and whatever comes our way.

You've had a lot of change, I figured it had to be something like that. All the issues you cited are valid points, and we have addressed all at great length. We can keep our doctors, so for now will travel back as necessary. We are selling two homes, but for sure the one down here, (probably less than 5-6 miles from you in Tichigan area), will be no problem. The one in central Vilas may take longer, but not worried. Market is robust in So WI. We have the ability to be back down south in 4.7 hrs, and we will be back at least once a month. We had no intention of moving this quickly, but the place is so incredible we had to move on it. 2.66 acres, so we have privacy, and the one neighbor to the north seems cool. Lake is 60% state owned, so quite private. Western exposure, and we see nothing across the lake on eastern shore. Like a dream. Don't bank on getting any riding down here, if you do, I'd sell the sleds (or trailer) Best of luck.

SledTL

There will be good years of riding in SE wis and years where it is bad. It was always like that for me growing up. Sometimes we could drive the truck out on the lake, other years it was a slush fest and had to keep the sleds off. Always treated local riding as a bonus and often times put alot of miles on lakes going around in circles. Crap riding is better than no riding in my book.

timo

Welcome to our world the last 20 years.
Hope your daughter's in better health.