The Namesake

skiroule

Thought I would post a couple of shots of the last drive train holdout, the chain case and secondary clutch. The clutch shaft bearings felt really good – smooth and no play, so I decided to clean things up without tearing it down completely. Cleanup took a little more time I’m sure but it did eliminate disassembly/reassembly.

DSC_1103.JPG
DSC_1104.JPG

This completes the parts needed to re-install the drive train (track, rear suspension, drive axle, and chain case/secondary assembly).

skiroule

Thanks Mike!
After dueling with the crud that just keeps on giving for almost seven weeks now, I finally felt well enough to build a fire in the shop today. Won’t be immediately launching back into the sled project though. Our son has put in a request for me to build a portable mound so his son can start throwing in his basement next month. Don’t like doing woodworking in the sacred sled shop but anything for the grandkids.

Even though the drive train is ready to install, this process is made much simpler if the skis are mounted – makes the chassis so much easier to maneuver if need be. If the sled has been allowed to sit outside, the skis really take a beating.
DSC_1118.JPG

I did get the ski components done before the extended “vacation”. The skis and springs almost always have rust pitting and if I were building a show sled, I would have used glazing compound to eliminate the pitting but no, that’s too over the top, even for me.
DSC_1099.JPG

mezz

Love it! Again, appreciate your process, it's really something to admire. Hope your feeling better, just don't overdo it. -Mezz

skiroule

Mezz, hope your recovery is progressing as expected.:joyous:

The pitching mound project is moving along so I took some time off from it to assemble the skis. Now I pretty much have everything done that I need to start building the chassis back up.

DSC_1105.JPG

BigSix

Very nice work! Look better than new. There is something neat about seeing 50 year old equipment restored to better-than-factory condition. Gives me a good feeling.:friendly_wink:

skiroule

There is something neat about seeing 50 year old equipment restored to better-than-factory condition. Gives me a good feeling.:friendly_wink:

Totally agree. It’s unbelievable how popular restoration of these old sleds has become. The thing that I find pretty interesting is that I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t see a post by someone that has discovered a vintage sled in a barn, shed, woods, or backyard and grabbed it to hopefully get it back on the snow. Some of these finds are truly amazing. They're still out there.

I know I wasn’t supposed to be tempted but I just couldn’t look at all those parts and not want to put something back together. I had forgotten a couple of other things that needed to get installed before I got serious about working on the drive train (steering shaft, tie rods, and rear grab bar) so I mounted those, along with the skis. A long way to go but it’s nice to see it on its front feet.

DSC_1099.JPG

(For those of you that have been following my posts for some time, you probably noticed that I finally built some doors for the doorway between the shop and the sled storage area. No more plastic curtain - only took about three years.)

mezz

Gotta love the progress when the plan comes together. Looking good, love the pride in workmanship! :applause::cool: -Mezz

skiroule

Sorry folks, was going to add a post tonight but something has gone wrong with appearance when the reply is submitted.  The final text is displaying hidden characters and the photo link data is being displayed rather than just the link itself.  I will re-submit the post once this issue has been resolved.

Last edited:

skiroule

Thought I had the answer but nope. The quick reply will not retain the inserted image and if I go advanced, all of the character display problems return.
I know we’re supposed to be conditioned to this up here in the tundra but dang it’s cold. It’s been many, many days/nights since the thermometer registered an above-zero temp. A lot of nights have been bottoming out in the -30 to -40 range. We are actually supposed to get above zero tomorrow.
The next step in the chassis reassembly was the installation of the chain case, driveshaft, and track, which, I have to admit, is not my favorite thing to do. Unlike a lot of sleds of the day, Skiroule used a clip rather than a retaining bolt to hold the lower gear in place. This eliminated my preferred approach of fashioning some type of puller using a bolt/socket, and washers to pull the shaft/bearing into the chain case.

Luckily, I was able to talk with a very knowledgeable Skiroule guy out in British Columbia that gave me some detailed pointers on the drive shaft installation process. Sure enough, following his advice and using a little finesse, everything went together as expected. A photo will be forthcoming, I promise.

Last edited:

BigSix

I'm curious, but what will you do for a seat? Are you able to find a new one? The one in the first photo looks like it is unrepairable.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big Six, not to highjack this thread but didn't you post a picture of your Farmall on another thread? Any back-story to that. Northeast Green Bay isn't a mecca of farming, just wondering. Very nice looking H by the way, wish I had one.

Now back to the Namesake thread!

skiroule

I'm curious, but what will you do for a seat? Are you able to find a new one? The one in the first photo looks like it is unrepairable.
Excellent question. The seat on the project sled was pretty rough, although once the ripped-up cover was removed, the seat foam was actually good enough to be repaired and used if need be.
Luckily, I won’t have to do that. The condition of the seat on the other sled that became the donor sled just adds to the mystery of what really happened to this sled after the incident that did so much damage to the suspension and chassis. My suspicion is that, once repaired, it was ridden very little, if any, and just stuck in storage somewhere. The seat is as close to perfect as you will find. It literally only needs to be wiped off and installed, once I get to that point.

BigSix

Big Six, not to highjack this thread but didn't you post a picture of your Farmall on another thread? Any back-story to that. Northeast Green Bay isn't a mecca of farming, just wondering. Very nice looking H by the way, wish I had one.

Now back to the Namesake thread!

Gary, thanks!

About 15 years ago, some friends of mine started a club called Titletown Thresheree Club. The main idea was to promote farming the way it was done in the early and mid 1900s and to organize a old fashioned thresheree every year. I was attending one of the thresherees one year and they convinced me to join. But I didnt have a tractor so two of the brothers in the club found that Super H in Appleton at an auction. I wanted a Farmall H because my grandpa had one on his farm in Sturgeon Bay when I was a little kid. It was in very good shape with the exception of the gas tank and carburetor (someone put ethanol fuel in the tank during storage and it rotted the tank and ruined the carburetor). Replaced tank, carburetor, governor, front tires and redid the wiring. Painted the wheels silver (somebody painted them red) and touched up the other areas. Pre-COVID, we would get together for monthly rides in the country and BS sessions. We hope to put on a thresheree this summer at a Century Farm in the town of Humboldt.

Didnt mean to hijack this tread.

skiroule

Gary, thanks!
Didnt mean to hijack this tread.
Not a problem. I always enjoy reading what you guys have to say. If I would get off my rear and get something done, there would be some new project stuff to check out.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
BigSix, as long as Skiroule is taking a break I thought I'd share my own experience. My Dad owned a 300 Series Farmall. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was the model that replaced your Super H. Same horse power but they added a Torque Amplifier on the 300's. It says something for the design and craftmanship of those classics that still run like the day they were new.

OK Kelly, it's all yours!

This crazy coding glitch is driving me nuts '