Trail 2 - Losing a section due to change of ownership

hermie

Excellent work by everyone. Hopefully they get the word out that this is a one year deal. I hope sledders realize they better stay on the trail or I can see this reroute closing as quickly as it opened. They didn't want a trail on there property a couple of years ago but they have been incredibly generous letting us go through there property this year, but there had to be a reason they said no 2 years ago and if I had to take a educated guess I would guess they were concerned of noise and people not staying on the trail.

chords

If after 1 yr this owner revokes the agreement, I hope they don't get the same negative response.

wiscrev

Looks like part of it is the "old" trail as it seems to come out at Sunday Lake where it used to. That last little section before crossing Rt2 can be wide open if I remember correctly. Hope they put barriers up to keep people on the trail.

favoritos

Nice work.

I would like to thank the community and GRTA for all the work on this project.

I am impressed by the team effort to overcome the issues created by the actions of a single outside land owner.
I think we ran into some of the "new" trail last season. The section between Sunday Lake and the grade was being groomed along with the grade down to the old #2 section. That section wasn't too bad. It did not have much traffic last season.
I do remember the old trail around the pit and piles of tailings. (Fun to ride, looked brutal to maintain.) It looks like the route in that section is running the shoulder with this configuration. I can imagine this was and will be a lot of work. Those ditches are tight. It still seems a lot better than multiple Hwy crossings and winding around the ski properties. I was always nervous in that area when we had less experienced riders in our group.
I'm not familiar with the new section in red. It could be interesting. There is a fair amount of terrain variation.
I am grateful to the land owners allowing access. I'm not sure how to address thanking them. It may be a touchy issue and some of the past reluctance may be related to "other" things they were managing.

In the big picture, we could drive in any direction to play and relax. We choose this area week after week, year after year.
The community and the people are the reasons we keep coming.

hermie

If after 1 yr this owner revokes the agreement, I hope they don't get the same negative response.
They are saying there is a possibility that the family may sell the land to the DNR that the reroute is going through. They have to come up to an agreement on a price. That would be an incredible turn around from losing the trail to becoming a permanent trail. Time will tell but an incredible gesture from this family.

xsledder

Great job GRTA! I know we lost a section of trail and are still working on a reroute. It sounded like the Skinner's never were going to playball. If they are doing improvements without a permit to the resort, red tag them and drag your feet. Make sure they bring the entire place up to ADA. That will make their head spin.

snobuilder

Why would you even be thinking this way? What negative response did the new owners get from the club?.... actually the club wasn't in a position to "give a negative response" at all, any "response" came from the new owners....... they were simply asking that the current use that has been working very well for years and years, would continue now that the the new corp. owns it....????
Please explain

Last edited:

goofy600

Why would you even be thinking this way? What negative response did the new owners get from the club?.... actually the club wasn't in a position to "give a negative response" at all, any "response" came from the new owners....... they were simply asking that the current use that has been working very well for years and years, would continue now that the the new corp. owns it....????
Please explain
He meant the new reroute landowners after the 1 year have a negative feeling about the trail because of the handful of asshat snowmobilers that will not be able to follow the rules and stay on the trail and stuff. The same reason the trail had to be rerouted before.

uncle_ed

updated in ride command already. x3 on good behavior for 1 year trial

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.49.39 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.49.39 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 12.49.39 PM.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 22

goofy600

That should be the same as always, ride command probably just mist that part. That wasn’t part of the problem area.

wiscrev

That should be the same as always, ride command probably just mist that part. That wasn’t part of the problem area.
That's the way the old trail went, but I thought in later years it was across the lake or guys were just taking ashortcut.

favoritos

The section west of the lake going north looks like part of the old trail. I'm not familiar with Ride Command. I'm curious which establishment has a trail going right to their door? It would be a real slap if that is one of the Snowriver locations.

snobuilder

He meant the new reroute landowners after the 1 year have a negative feeling about the trail because of the handful of asshat snowmobilers that will not be able to follow the rules and stay on the trail and stuff. The same reason the trail had to be rerouted before.
I don't think you know what he meant, but don't let that stop you from speaking for others along with automatically condemning your fellow snowmobilers as "asshats".

What I read was that if the owner revokes after a year , he hopes " they don't get the same negative response."...who is "they" and who will be giving the "negative response"....the club? what negative response did they give so far to snowriver?

As far as a 1 year trail trial....I have said in the past....If you are getting trespass permission by sugar coating snowmobile(r) behavior/confusion/possible dumbassedness, then you have not done anyone a favor. Tracks melt in the spring but if in the meantime those tracks hurt your (landowners/neighboring activists) feelings then maybe this reroute, or any, is doomed from the start.

WorkHardPlayHrd

I don't think you know what he meant, but don't let that stop you from speaking for others along with automatically condemning your fellow snowmobilers as "asshats".

What I read was that if the owner revokes after a year , he hopes " they don't get the same negative response."...who is "they" and who will be giving the "negative response"....the club? what negative response did they give so far to snowriver?

As far as a 1 year trail trial....I have said in the past....If you are getting trespass permission by sugar coating snowmobile(r) behavior/confusion/possible dumbassedness, then you have not done anyone a favor. Tracks melt in the spring but if in the meantime those tracks hurt your (landowners/neighboring activists) feelings then maybe this reroute, or any, is doomed from the start.
The negative response to SnoRiver is on their Facebook page reviews. Go there, start reading. That is the negative response being commented on.

To the land owners that have graciously opened their property for 1 year I say thank you. Unfortunately I have very little hope that individuals who think because they buy a trail pass they now have the right to go wherever they want are going to magically wake up and fall in line.

Yes the tracks disappear, but that isn't the issue. It's respect for others. Just like you don't have to constantly be on the throttle, off the throttle to make yourself look big and Macho. An aftermarket can does not make a great snowmobiler. It's just annoying.