Why Polaris can hand out bonuses

doo_dr

While I understand the need to make a profit, i thought I would share how they can make MONSTER PROFIT!!!! I picked up a use xc 120 for my son. It needed a couple things to clean it up but overall it is in good shape. I did opt for some aftermarket parts because they were generally better pieces for the same price. BTW Powermadd customer service is very good and their pieces are great quality. I was a little surprised that I had to pay almost the same prices for 120 skis and windshield as a full sized sled but it is what it is!!! What floored me was that Polaris wanted retail $212.99 for a xc120 seat cover. When I asked the parts guy what his cost was from Polaris he hesitated and then said " $150 and that is F' ing too much". Sometimes I really wonder where they come up with things. I could probably buy a full size xc seat cover ($100 )and use the material to make 3 120 seat covers. Oh Well I can guarantee you they will not see that money from me.

stinkstar

I wouldent point the finger just at polaris. They all are doing it.. look at sled prices! Polaris is on the lower end of doo and yamaha. I dont look at cat prices

doo_dr

I wouldent point the finger just at polaris. They all are doing it.. look at sled prices! Polaris is on the lower end of doo and yamaha. I dont look at cat prices

I know they all do it. Just found great humor in a $11 pieces of fabric and Polaris is the only one to publish bonuses. I personally think the marine industry is the worst but that is another day!!!!

fatdaddy

have you purchased a ski doo belt lately, I think there around $124.00, and they don''t even make them. I understand that they have a very short selling period and that they have to make money. Polaris also has other product lines that could have added to the bottom line, remember they sold a ton of ATV's to the government and who do you think paid for those.

doo_dr

have you purchased a ski doo belt lately, I think there around $124.00, and they don''t even make them. I understand that they have a very short selling period and that they have to make money. Polaris also has other product lines that could have added to the bottom line, remember they sold a ton of ATV's to the government and who do you think paid for those.

They all have spendy belts. BTW Ski Doo's really spendy belt is $190. That doesn't bother me much because I have seen how they make belts and I can tell you there is alot of value added technology and labor. As for those government purchases, Hope the ATV's are used to save our boys &girls and guard our borders. That kind of money is worth spending!!!!

polarisrider1

They all have spendy belts. BTW Ski Doo's really spendy belt is $190. That doesn't bother me much because I have seen how they make belts and I can tell you there is alot of value added technology and labor. As for those government purchases, Hope the ATV's are used to save our boys &girls and guard our borders. That kind of money is worth spending!!!!

wha wha wha! Your not paying for what it costs, your paying for the availability. If it makes you feel better put the bigger seat on the 120 and tell your friends about your great deal no matter how stupid it looks.

doo_dr

That kind of availability can stay on the shelf at Polaris. BTW it is for the cover only. Not the complete seat!!!!!

polarisrider1

That kind of availability can stay on the shelf at Polaris. BTW it is for the cover only. Not the complete seat!!!!!

can't run with the big dogs ride with a torn seat. Snowmobiling is not cheap. Slamming Poo makes you feel better? seat cover still costs the same. I am miffed about the high cost of eye glasses, health care, taxes, gasoline, propane, electricity, employee wages, postage, Government officials, types of religon, customers who are cheap, Bad checks, poor tippers, over tippers,tipping in general, the cost of tennis shoes, school lunches, expired coupons, parking spaces, deductables, room rates, price of groceries, having to buy candy bars from the band geeks, popcorn from the glee club, light bulbs from the Rotary,etc. etc. etc. and on and on. Thank God! (can I still say that?) I am not whining.

srt20

While I understand the need to make a profit, i thought I would share how they can make MONSTER PROFIT!!!! I picked up a use xc 120 for my son. It needed a couple things to clean it up but overall it is in good shape. I did opt for some aftermarket parts because they were generally better pieces for the same price. BTW Powermadd customer service is very good and their pieces are great quality. I was a little surprised that I had to pay almost the same prices for 120 skis and windshield as a full sized sled but it is what it is!!! What floored me was that Polaris wanted retail $212.99 for a xc120 seat cover. When I asked the parts guy what his cost was from Polaris he hesitated and then said " $150 and that is F' ing too much". Sometimes I really wonder where they come up with things. I could probably buy a full size xc seat cover ($100 )and use the material to make 3 120 seat covers. Oh Well I can guarantee you they will not see that money from me.

Polaris sets the MSRP. Thats it. And while I dont know for a fact, I would bet that $150 dealer cost is fudged by your dealer. Every so often, I have access to ACTUAL dealer invoices. Alot of the accessories are more than doubled from invoice to msrp. Last season I bought a pair of Polaris pants for $75.xx. MSRP was $160ish. Jacket for $104. MSRP was $239. A gallon of Polaris blue oil cost the dealer $20, but most dealers charge $29.99-$34.99.

Polaris sets the msrp, but the dealer sets the price in which you pay. BTW, most good dealers make very little on new vehicle sales. I just paid $10,600 a few days ago for a Polaris RZR LE. Actual dealer invoice on my machine was $98xx. And outta that $800 the dealer made, he had to pay his guys to assemble it off the truck, and the shipping to his dealership. I paid no set-up or freight.
But I also know of some dealers that will not budge of the MSRP price either.
Another tidbit of info, dealers have 3 months in WI to sell a new vehicle from the date they get it. After 3 months, they have to pay interest on it to tune of around $100 a month.

Its all about demand. Just like a dump bar in PI, WI charging $3.25 for a can of beer this winter. But guess what? I paid for it, and so did a bunch of other people.

Last edited:
polaris sets the msrp. Thats it. And while i dont know for a fact, i would bet that $150 dealer cost is fudged by your dealer. Every so often, i have access to actual dealer invoices. Alot of the accessories are more than doubled from invoice to msrp. Last season i bought a pair of polaris pants for $75.xx. Msrp was $160ish. Jacket for $104. Msrp was $239. A gallon of polaris blue oil cost the dealer $20, but most dealers charge $29.99-$34.99.

Polaris sets the msrp, but the dealer sets the price in which you pay. Btw, most good dealers make very little on new vehicle sales. I just paid $10,600 a few days ago for a polaris rzr le. Actual dealer invoice on my machine was $98xx. And outta that $800 the dealer made, he had to pay his guys to assemble it off the truck, and the shipping to his dealership. I paid no set-up or freight.
But i also know of some dealers that will not budge of the msrp price either.
Another tidbit of info, dealers have 3 months in wi to sell a new vehicle from the date they get it. After 3 months, they have to pay interest on it to tune of around $100 a month.

Its all about demand. Just like a dump bar in pi, wi charging $3.25 for a can of beer this winter. But guess what? I paid for it, and so did a bunch of other people.

ditto

srt20

I cant recall the name, its the bar inbetween the bear bar and skyview. Right on W. Yeah you didnt have to worry about me getting FUBAR'D at those prices for beer.

ezra

retail is always 100% or more on all goods you buy who eaver you buy them from. when you get somthing on clearance at target for 50% off target is still making 50% on that wiget. all the things Wane posted above are not free and hard for a guy to stay in biz with a 3% mark up.think R&D is cheep prob 30% of the cost of that seat goes back to R&D and engineering to keep those 800s together.BTW cat stoped bonuses 2 yrs ago unless you are at the very top.workers are hoping to sell the shipt out of the new line so the corp makes the numbers needed to start giving bonuses again.

Last edited:

trailblazer

Firecatguy--------------You hit it right on the head. Maybe if they all move there stuff to Mexico the prices on things will come down. THEN-------We will not have the jobs in our country, but the cheap f****s on here will be happy that their getting a good deal.

doo_dr

can't run with the big dogs ride with a torn seat. Snowmobiling is not cheap. Slamming Poo makes you feel better? seat cover still costs the same. I am miffed about the high cost of eye glasses, health care, taxes, gasoline, propane, electricity, employee wages, postage, Government officials, types of religon, customers who are cheap, Bad checks, poor tippers, over tippers,tipping in general, the cost of tennis shoes, school lunches, expired coupons, parking spaces, deductables, room rates, price of groceries, having to buy candy bars from the band geeks, popcorn from the glee club, light bulbs from the Rotary,etc. etc. etc. and on and on. Thank God! (can I still say that?) I am not whining.

Well Polarisrider, It does sound like you are whining!!!! Slamming any of the brands doesn't make me feel better. If you think that was my intent then I would have to say you seem a little too touchy about your brand loyalty. This thread started as a FYI about a specific component sold that seem to have a outrageous price tag. If you would like me to include Mercury Marine's rubber impellor that has a 250% mark up from the vendor that makes them, Ski Doo's relays that cost twice as much as you can buy the same at Napa, Yamaha's Oil filters that seem to have a gold plated box so they can be priced so much,...
Was that enough to make you feel happy that I am not one sided. As for the cost of snowmobiling, My group of friends and myself (12 people)have spent well over 250k in the last two years in this sport (sleds, trailers, and trips) so you can throw your big dog comment away.

Firecatguy

I switched oil from cat stuff to sea and snow the 52$ a gal to 14,99$ no brainer....still runs the same for you naysayers!!!!I agree the price of stuff is getting out of control but what area of our lives is not?oh well