Wyoming/Colorado recommendations

tomcat

I already posted in the Western section but figured I'd get more views here. Feel free to remove if not allowed.

Hi all,

Making my first trip out west in a couple weeks with a small group. Looking for recommendations for places to stay. Where would we likely find the best snow/lodging accommodations? We have discussed Saratoga/ryan park, Laramie, Centennial, Hahns Peak... Anybody been out recently? Would like a nice place to stay. Ideally could ride out of each day but we could trailer if we had to. Don't need a crazy night life but a bar/ nice restaurant close to headquarters would be ideal. thanks for any recommendations.

Tom

600_RMK_144

I already posted in the Western section but figured I'd get more views here. Feel free to remove if not allowed.

Hi all,

Making my first trip out west in a couple weeks with a small group. Looking for recommendations for places to stay. Where would we likely find the best snow/lodging accommodations? We have discussed Saratoga/ryan park, Laramie, Centennial, Hahns Peak... Anybody been out recently? Would like a nice place to stay. Ideally could ride out of each day but we could trailer if we had to. Don't need a crazy night life but a bar/ nice restaurant close to headquarters would be ideal. thanks for any recommendations.

Tom

What type of riding do you plan to do? Trails? Steep & Deep? Trees? Soapbox speech 1st: You and everyone in your group must have the proper Avi gear and really should take a course on how to use it, how to spot avi terrain, etc. You can rent gear from oerentals.com if you do not have it. At a bare minimum: Beacon, Probe and Shovel [that stays on your back, not on the sled]. Airbag is a plus, but not "required." GPS is another consideration as cell phones 99% of the time do not work.

With that disclaimer out of the way, we have stayed at Hahn's Peak Roadhouse twice. About 30 minutes north of Steamboat on curvy roads. I would recommend H. Peak over The Snowies for the simple fact that the Snowies are ALWAYS windy as ****. Hahn's Peak Roadhouse has everything you mentioned: ride in/out from your cabin, no trailering (unless you want to venture over to Buffalo Pass or hit Rabbit Ears). You will pass R. Ears on your way to Steamboat. We did hit Buff. Pass on our way back home, but it was tracked all to ****. I think it's a more popular riding area than H. Peak, so gets a lot more traffic. HP Roadhouse also has onsite fuel, small grocery store / market, bar and grill. No reason to leave the place which is good because the drive back to Steamboat kinda sucks. You can get about every type of riding with H. Peak, some mountains to climb, plenty of meadows and smaller hills to play on and some trails. The good riding is just across the lake from Roadhouse, but extreme caution should be used as out West the snow comes in so fast that the lakes do not have the time to freeze over and the snow acts as a blanket/ insulation which prevents the lake underneath from freezing. General rule of thumb out West is to stay off water with the assumption that it is not frozen. We've crossed it every time we've been out there, but my a$$ was puckering the entire time. Not for the faint of heart - Lot's of slush! To be honest, I don't know if there is a way to get to the other side of the lake via trail, I tried to talk my guys into taking a look, but as normal testosterone was too high and it was not even considered. LOL!

Wherever you go, again, please be sure to carry proper gear. Everyone. Not just a couple of the guys. And test how to use it before you head out. Nothing worse than a friend buried under snow and you can't find them fast enough because you are fumbling with your gear. Sorry to keep harping on it, but lots of flatlanders go out there and do not realize the danger or scuff it off as it won't happen to them.

Enjoy the mountains. They are breathtaking!!!!

indy_500

As far as the snowies go, on the east side the only ride from cabin option is mountain meadows cabins. Never stayed there, but have stayed in Laramie and trailered to Greenrock every day. Obviously with Laramie you have an abundance of dining and lodging options. You can also stay in centennial to shorten the drive but still need to trailer to Greenrock. The Greenrock lot is generally packed, the snowies have an amazing trail system though. The best views and scenery is more so on the east side. The best technical riding is on the west side though. From there the parking lot is in Ryan park. Ten mile inn is close enough to Ryan park that you can trail ride from there generally but it may be thin for a few miles. Otherwise you could stay in Saratoga and trailer to Ryan park daily. There’s a handful of bars/restaurants in Saratoga and a grocery store and gas. It’s definitely nothing like Laramie but more than you need and the drive to the lot is 10 minutes shorter from Saratoga as it is from Laramie.

600_RMK_144

As far as the snowies go, on the east side the only ride from cabin option is mountain meadows cabins. Never stayed there, but have stayed in Laramie and trailered to Greenrock every day. Obviously with Laramie you have an abundance of dining and lodging options. You can also stay in centennial to shorten the drive but still need to trailer to Greenrock. The Greenrock lot is generally packed, the snowies have an amazing trail system though. The best views and scenery is more so on the east side. The best technical riding is on the west side though. From there the parking lot is in Ryan park. Ten mile inn is close enough to Ryan park that you can trail ride from there generally but it may be thin for a few miles. Otherwise you could stay in Saratoga and trailer to Ryan park daily. There’s a handful of bars/restaurants in Saratoga and a grocery store and gas. It’s definitely nothing like Laramie but more than you need and the drive to the lot is 10 minutes shorter from Saratoga as it is from Laramie.

First time EVER to the mountains we stayed at Mountain Meadow Cabins. They are not real big cabins. We did four guys in the "big" cabin and that's about all you can fit. Crazy first experience out there - Mt. Meadow is situated at the end of a road, but they do not plow all of it, so the owner comes down with a sled and pull behind sleigh. Load all your gear into the sleigh, hop on your sleds and follow him up to the cabins about 1/4 mile. Kinda crazy. And the road getting to where he picks up we could BARELY get the truck & trailer thru. Snow was piled up so high it was like running thru a tunnel. Seriously thought the trailer was going to get taken out by one of the giant drifts. They were taller than the trailer by a long shot. Couldn't have been more than 6-8" on either side of the trailer!!! All and all, pretty amazing / eye opening first experience out there. First day riding we were stuck within 100yds of the cabin it was soooooooooooo deep. Seriously, if this is what West riding is like every time, I'm moving here!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

First time EVER to the mountains we stayed at Mountain Meadow Cabins. They are not real big cabins. We did four guys in the "big" cabin and that's about all you can fit. Crazy first experience out there - Mt. Meadow is situated at the end of a road, but they do not plow all of it, so the owner comes down with a sled and pull behind sleigh. Load all your gear into the sleigh, hop on your sleds and follow him up to the cabins about 1/4 mile. Kinda crazy. And the road getting to where he picks up we could BARELY get the truck & trailer thru. Snow was piled up so high it was like running thru a tunnel. Seriously thought the trailer was going to get taken out by one of the giant drifts. They were taller than the trailer by a long shot. Couldn't have been more than 6-8" on either side of the trailer!!! All and all, pretty amazing / eye opening first experience out there. First day riding we were stuck within 100yds of the cabin it was soooooooooooo deep. Seriously, if this is what West riding is like every time, I'm moving here!!!!!!!!

Oh, and the thing I recall most about that ride from the truck up to the cabins was an electrical line being in our way. If that tells you anything about how deep the snow was. The line ran across the road, so it had to be tall enough for traffic to pass under it in Summer, right? Well --- We had to duck down on our sleds to get under it!!!! CRAZY!!!!!!

srt20

Ive stayed at Mt Meadows a bunch of times. You need to bring your own food and gas. They are not fancy by any means. Its a great place to stay on the mountain, but you gotta know what you are getting into there.

Hahn's Peak is a good place. Across the road is great, but well used. If you want fresh powder, you got to be willing to trail ride a little bit, lots of it ppl never travel to.

Hoosier

We stayed at the old corral once if I remember right. You could ride from there but it was thin for a few miles. They have a restaurant there for dinner and there is a breakfast place within walking distance. We were mostly trail riding but got stuck a bunch too on our short tracks.

I'd prefer to stay on the hill if you can and not deal with the trailer everyday. Drink more water than you think you have to also.

Last edited:

tomcat

Thx for the quick replies. The rest of the group outside of me has been out west several times. I think they usually stay in Laramie so just trying to open up some different options. They all have the full gear and I will be borrowing a beacon, shovel, etc. They are all on mountain sleds (RMK, M8000). I am on my new to me this winter 15 XF High Country. Not looking to trail ride outside of getting to and from the good stuff. More after meadows, trees. Some of the others may be after hills but not really my thing, especially on a 141. I've rented a couple times in utah. Last time being with a guide who did a great job of teaching me the basics of deep snow riding. Hopefully I retained some of it. That was on a 165 so I'll have to learn the limitations of my shorty.

ICT Sledder

Are mountain sleds a requirement for everyone that lives in... Iowa?

Asking for a friend that only sees mountain sleds on trucks, trailers, and in dealers when in said state.

srt20

Thx for the quick replies. The rest of the group outside of me has been out west several times. I think they usually stay in Laramie so just trying to open up some different options. They all have the full gear and I will be borrowing a beacon, shovel, etc. They are all on mountain sleds (RMK, M8000). I am on my new to me this winter 15 XF High Country. Not looking to trail ride outside of getting to and from the good stuff. More after meadows, trees. Some of the others may be after hills but not really my thing, especially on a 141. I've rented a couple times in utah. Last time being with a guide who did a great job of teaching me the basics of deep snow riding. Hopefully I retained some of it. That was on a 165 so I'll have to learn the limitations of my shorty.

I just got back from a trip with my main west riding partner and a rookie. Rookie brought his SKS 146. He ended up renting after the first day. If you want to go anywhere other then wind blown set up meadows on a short track you are going to need alot of throttle. And digging skills.

indy_500

Asking for a friend that only sees mountain sleds on trucks, trailers, and in dealers when in said state.
The percentage of people in Iowa who own mountain sleds is wayyy higher than any other state in the Midwest. Why? Because they can get to places like the snowies in <8 hrs. I’ve ridden with a handful of guys from Iowa. They’re super hit or miss year to year, to the point it’s tough to warrant owning a snowmobile these days.. although the trails in northeast Iowa are really good right now. Plus their drive “up north” to go trail riding in northern wi, northern mn, and the UP is generally 6-8 hrs which is kind of a lot for most folks. So why not just get into mountain riding where an 8 hr drive gets you guaranteed snow? I’m heading out to The snowies in 10 days and am staying in Laramie at my buddys apartment. My buddy? He lives in Iowa and leaves his stuff out there. Can’t get any better than that.

600_RMK_144

Ha! I ride my 155" around IA without issue. Old (and fat)... Need all the track I can get so I don't get stuck when I do get into deep powder. LOL! Trust me, I would prefer to have a mtn. sled and short track, but that is not in the cards. So I just deal with a poor handling mtn sled when there is actually snow to ride locally (which is rare). Then when I get over to good powder in The Black Hills I can still get around in the meadows or up any hills that are just begging to be climbed.

Clintondf

We stayed at albany lodge once. Just west of laramie. Rentals/lodging/bar and restaurant and gas all on site. Trail starts there. Then you can just pop off trail
Wherever you want
And explore meadows hills etc. Watch out for snow covered creeks. We took our sleds. Just chamged the clutch weights and springs. And i had mountain ski already.

snowho96

I have been going to the snowies for 10 years now. We have a house near Cenntenial that we stay at and have been out there off and on since Christmas. There are 3 bars in in town for some night life. There are 3 places that serve food. They have gas in town also. Old Corral and the Friendly motel are where most sledders stay. There are several houses on VRBO in the area also. Most of the time you have to trailer to riding. Greenrock parking area is just up from Cenntenial. Trail out of Greenrock has been pretty rough when I have been there. Albany Lodge is a good choice for riding from the lodge. They have gas, bar and food. We always stayed there until we got the house a few years ago. There is good riding out of Albany just have to get up to Rob Roy. Trail is usually groomed well out of Albany since groomer is based there. My daughter just got back tonight, riding was pretty good with snow in the forecast. I am planning on going out after the 20th for a few weeks. pm me for my number if you want to talk about options. I live west of Cedar Falls.

ezra

I just got back from a trip with my main west riding partner and a rookie. Rookie brought his SKS 146. He ended up renting after the first day. If you want to go anywhere other then wind blown set up meadows on a short track you are going to need alot of throttle. And digging skills.

where did you guys go that his sks would not cut it ? have not talked to many who have been west this yr that were to pumped about the conditions .

xsledder

NE Iowa riding, especially along the Mississippi in Clayton and Allamakee Counties, can be some of the most technical riding in the Midwest. You get in the bluffs along the river and the trails are as wide as a sled and you will make 100+ foot climbs up almost 1:1 steep hills, no switchbacks. Plus, crossing creeks and rivers with running water. Doing 100 miles in NE Iowa along the river is like doing 300 miles in the UP and northern Wisconsin. You have to ride there if you get the opportunity.

Albany Lodge is a good place to stay. We rented a cabin/house that could fit 4. Each evening we ended up in Centennial for dinner though, good food. You can unload at Albany too if you stay in town. Not as close to Medicine Bow as Greenrock.

eyeman

Hey xsledder. I have family in Westby, WI and Decorah, IA. I know Clayton and Allamakee CO at the NE most corner of the IA (Cruising/boating the Mississippi River). I have never hear of Albany Lodge, Centennial, Medicine Bow or Greenrock. The bluffs are beautiful (motor cycling heaven) but I have never even considered sledding there. I didn't even know trails existed. I know the area is fairly desolate with few accommodations, bars, food, gas, etc.. if you would be so kind as to expand on your knowledge of the area including trails, stops, lodging, resources or a typical day. I suspect it's an area where you ride within 24 hours of snow fall or it's done. Thx.

xsledder

Hey xsledder. I have family in Westby, WI and Decorah, IA. I know Clayton and Allamakee CO at the NE most corner of the IA (Cruising/boating the Mississippi River). I have never hear of Albany Lodge, Centennial, Medicine Bow or Greenrock. The bluffs are beautiful (motor cycling heaven) but I have never even considered sledding there. I didn't even know trails existed. I know the area is fairly desolate with few accommodations, bars, food, gas, etc.. if you would be so kind as to expand on your knowledge of the area including trails, stops, lodging, resources or a typical day. I suspect it's an area where you ride within 24 hours of snow fall or it's done. Thx.

Sorry, Albany, Centennial, Greenrock and Medicine Bow are in Wyoming out by the Snowy Mountains. Medicine Bow is the mountain in the Snowy Mountains you always see pictures of.

View attachment 62509

The area I used to ride around in Iowa, back when my Dad had his childhood farm north of Garnavillo, was mostly the trail from Garny to Elkader and if we could make it down to Osterdock. Then there is a trail along US 52 from Garny to National (where the Clayton County fair is held) where it splits to either Farmersburg or Giard. There is another trail along US 18 that can take you to Monona (I have not been past Monona) from Giard. (It use to take you into McGregor/Marquette but I think they closed it down when they built the new US 18 to the bridge.) Those are all the communities in Clayton County that I have been too. Allamakee has trails up to Harpers Ferry and Rossville plus other communities. Check out this website for more on the trails in Iowa ... http://iowasnowmobiler.com/index.html . Great area to ride if they would only get consistent snow. Plus a lot of snow since most of the fields are chisel-plowed. Riding in the area has always been hit or miss since I started riding in 1980. You are right, they don't cater to out-of-town sledders with food, gas, etc.

There is food and gas in Garny, Elkader, Monona and Hapers Ferry. If you ride very slow and make an effort to stay out of peoples way, the police in the towns will leave you alone while you are trying to get to the accommodations. (But it has been 5 years since I have snowmobiled in the area.)

Last edited:

skibob

OK, probably a stupid question...... but here goes;
Is it worth it to head out to the Snowy's , probably stay at the Albany Lodge, if you're going to strictly trail ride?

I've got a '16 1200 4-tec Renegade 136 & I doubt it'd be very good off trail. Also, would I need to do anything to it, clutching, etc.. or could I just go & ride?
Never ridden out there & really thinking about going there, or the Black Hills.

xsledder

OK, probably a stupid question...... but here goes;
Is it worth it to head out to the Snowy's , probably stay at the Albany Lodge, if you're going to strictly trail ride?

I've got a '16 1200 4-tec Renegade 136 & I doubt it'd be very good off trail. Also, would I need to do anything to it, clutching, etc.. or could I just go & ride?
Never ridden out there & really thinking about going there, or the Black Hills.

It is hard to say. I went to the Black Hills with a friend and he kept his '15 Viper stock (i.e. clutches at sea level calibration) and it worked fine even off trail. He didn't have much trouble out there and the Hills run 6,000 to 8,000 feet. I went out to the Snowy's in Dec '19 and clutched my sled and rented a sled for my son so I have nothing to compare with to give you an indication of how stock clutching will work in the Snowy's. If you don't need you sled running in peak performance all the time and you do nothing but trail riding, the sea level clutching should work fine. You will lose a few pony's.

Also, I haven't owned a Ski-Doo since my '02 Renegade 700. Do they still have the TRA clutch where you can adjust the ramps in the primary clutch? I remember that changed the engagement RPM of the clutch by a couple RPMs +/- for each setting, you might be able to adjust the ramps in the clutch for better performance out there.

Last edited: