2013 Boating Season

polarisrider1

Hi Scott, I appreciate the feedback. Should be noted that the block portion that is cracked, is located on a far
corner(a piece around 1 inch in diameter cracked off) where the starter bolts into the block. I will discuss it in more detail with the mechanic, before I bring it in. Bergland Snowmobile and Marine.
If the motor is coming out to weld then put in a fresh motor. Boat is ten years old. Labor all over again if weld breaks. What broke it in the first place? Some guys think they are the king of welding, they are few and far between. Cast metal grain runs all directions like particle board. You don't want to distort anything by welding it. Besides what would a weld do for resale when a buyer sees it. NEXT! Spend the coin, a tow back to shore runs about $400 and up if you need Sea-tow when the weld fails.

gogebictodd

If the motor is coming out to weld then put in a fresh motor. Boat is ten years old. Labor all over again if weld breaks. What broke it in the first place? Some guys think they are the king of welding, they are few and far between. Cast metal grain runs all directions like particle board. You don't want to distort anything by welding it. Besides what would a weld do for resale when a buyer sees it. NEXT! Spend the coin, a tow back to shore runs about $400 and up if you need Sea-tow when the weld fails.

The battery produced such force(apparently due to water in cylinder from turing off motor when to hot) a guess
on the mechanics part. That it bent the 4" starter bolts and caused the block to crack when the force moved it.

polarisrider1

The battery produced such force(apparently due to water in cylinder from turing off motor when to hot) a guess
on the mechanics part. That it bent the 4" starter bolts and caused the block to crack when the force moved it.

Sounds pretty far fetched to me. If you got water in a cylinder that is no good no matter what. What made it to hot? If the motor backfired while the starter was engaged due to water in a cylinder due to a previous backfire then I could see such force to shear off the starter. You also would of shredded the impellers that pump the water. Unless the impellers were already gone do to wear causing an over heating issue. (Had that with a jet ski the kids had sunk). If you had water in a cylinder from a backfire causing water to suck into the motor then I would get that motor out of that boat. It is a ticking time bomb on main bearings. Note: impellers need to be changed at least every other year and no one does it.

gogebictodd

Polarisrider 1--THANKS for all of your advice, sounds like you have some experience with this. I due have the impellers changed regularly---last time two yrs ago, and they where still in good shape. I agree with your points
above. I have some calls into replacement motor places including the one you recommended.

Like to just trade the POS. However, worth nothing with a cracked block, so left with no choice but to repair or replace. I spoke to a Volvo dealer and they where also unsure of what caused the problem. All the more reason to replace the motor.......Break out another several thousand....................Dahm boats....................

polarisrider1

Polarisrider 1--THANKS for all of your advice, sounds like you have some experience with this. I due have the impellers changed regularly---last time two yrs ago, and they where still in good shape. I agree with your points
above. I have some calls into replacement motor places including the one you recommended.

Like to just trade the POS. However, worth nothing with a cracked block, so left with no choice but to repair or replace. I spoke to a Volvo dealer and they where also unsure of what caused the problem. All the more reason to replace the motor.......Break out another several thousand....................Dahm boats....................

I don't even want to start in on Force motors. Wish you well and keep us informed. When I am not Sledding then I am boating or biking. One day I will get a job! Note: not much market for an old Geezer like me! lol So far 650 hours on my twin Mercruisers with zero issues.

mjkaliszak

Yes boating season.... can't wait to get the ski's out and do loops around some fisherman.... LOL
Which reminds me of the next favorite thing.... getting pulled over by the " Water Cowboys " making sure everything is in order... all time favorite !

Only kidding.... don't get your panties in a bunch.... I'm just having fun here, Lack of snow or a bout with "SSS" will do that with me.

( SSS ) = Short Snow Season

whitedust

Bought 2ea 10'6" sit in with seat back Kayats with paddle yesterday from Menards for $150 ea sale price. That is a smoking deal & the kayats were flying out the door while we were there only people in the yard were buying kayats!! lol Since no idea about ice out probably use them for downhill sledddin for now.lol For me simple & easy boat to visit neighbors & leave Ranger & pontoon docked. Wham bang launched, paddle to next dock tie up & at $150 who cares after that.:)

whitedust

Whitedust-those are still $250 at my Menards. Did you find them in Rhinelander?
Yes Rhinelander had about 125+ kayats or so in the yard on Thursday & $150 week sale over on April 6th but weather was horrible here maybe the sale in Rhinelander will be extended worth a telephone call for a smoking deal.Viper was the brand I bought also had a few Neptune for $99 but no comparison in features to Viper. Maybe your Menards has a different brand? Rhinelander could sell Vipers all Spring & Summer for a $150 non stop with all the lakes & rivers up here.:)

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Three Optima deep cycle batteries and registration renewal, bye bye another thousand bucks. Good news is boat launches April 19th.

miked

Already got 5 days of boating in for the year! Just got back from picking up the new ride down in Florida. 2700 mile drive, roundtrip.

GogebicTodd...definately do the rebuild or the replacement. Marine motors aren't forgiving...think about the rpms you are usually running vs. driving your car. I rebuilt the motors in my old Fountain two years ago...700 hours on Mercruiser 502EFIs...left nothing stock but the blocks and heads, turned them into 540 cubic inch, 570 hp. Cost was about $25k! Be happy with $3500!

Attachments

• sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 89
  • P9100604.jpg
    P9100604.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 88
  • P7270546.jpg
    P7270546.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 96

polarisrider1

Starting to get a little concerned about my launch date (next Friday). For the last 15 years boat has gone in between April 3-15th. Snowing again today,lol.
Went Steelhead fishing yesterday with a guide in a drift boat, amazing how many others were doing the same. Snowed abit and the wind was blowing insane.

polarisrider1

Rescheduled launch to 26th. Ice in launch well and high winds and possible 3" of rain next week. Darn snow dance had a delayed effect this year.

doospunk

Been out of boating for 5 years, but we are just getting back into it this season. Found a nice used Crownline 248 ccr with the merc 7.4 for a decent deal. Super excited to get it home and on the water..... This will be the latest "ice-out" I can remember around the Twin Cities in a very long time. Talking to a buddy at work who ski's, said he had already been in the water, and made 5 or 6 ski runs by this time last year. Channels are open for the most part, but still ice in the bays.......

snake

I hear I there! My 03 glastron 4.3 volvo has a cracked block. Taking her in when snow melts in da up. 2k cost quoted to fix. Hope it is not much more! Pull motor ,starter, fly wheel, weld up block, still pissed bout it, happened last August.

todd,I have been a marine mech for 30years. have seen exactly the same break your dealing with. our machine shop does a process where they use pins that overlap themselves. it is a great system,check it out!! they even do freeze cracks on our engines and they pressure check and guarantee it. those v-6 motors are very prone to " run on"=there are many things that can contribute to it.if you want to talk to me I'd be happy to help,even if its just over the phone. don't mean to toot my own horn,but I have ALOT of experience working on boats,and I can give you my thought on your options.p.m me with a number,I'll call. if you want to verify my credentials,look on boatreeds.com I'm randy

eagle1

Been out of boating for 5 years, but we are just getting back into it this season. Found a nice used Crownline 248 ccr with the merc 7.4 for a decent deal. Super excited to get it home and on the water..... This will be the latest "ice-out" I can remember around the Twin Cities in a very long time. ..

Nice, post up some pics when you get her out.

gogebictodd

todd,I have been a marine mech for 30years. have seen exactly the same break your dealing with. our machine shop does a process where they use pins that overlap themselves. it is a great system,check it out!! they even do freeze cracks on our engines and they pressure check and guarantee it. those v-6 motors are very prone to " run on"=there are many things that can contribute to it.if you want to talk to me I'd be happy to help,even if its just over the phone. don't mean to toot my own horn,but I have ALOT of experience working on boats,and I can give you my thought on your options.p.m me with a number,I'll call. if you want to verify my credentials,look on boatreeds.com I'm randy

SENT YOU A PM 4/22/13 at 515 pm