2013 Boating Season

miked

Got the boat in the water last weekend in Hammond, IN. Went down to Chicago and locked thru to the river...

Attachments

• downtown.jpg
    downtown.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 68

polarisrider1

What a great day!! Sun shine and 51 degrees, just a bit warm for us snowmobilers with a boating addiction! Anyone passing thru Grand Haven around 6pm tonight, well I am cooking steaks on the grill for about 70 people. (Yes I have help). I won a summer time drawing of 2nd place and I got a certificate for 100 steaks in the hundred days of summer contest. Trucks in the shop and no way to haul them home, so bring a dish to pass and steak is on me. Not sure what cut but I heard mention of "ball tip" hope they are good. Grand Haven miniciple Marina look for the big tent. BYOB

polarisrider1

Wow! Just bought 70 8oz. Ball tip steaks.....ouch. skipping the tent and party is at the Grand Haven yacht club. Still dish to pass and BYOB. Room in the parking lot. Also a few slips left.

polarisrider1

Close to 2am, eating Bow tie salad and on a snowmobile forum sitting on a boat typing with my thumbs. It is a sickness or a love for snowmobiling, not sure.
Oh, no problem with moving 70 steaks. It was fun. Hope everyone has a great boating season!

ezra

just got my boat from storage pulling shrink wrap today then yanking lower unit and putting on new bellows and gimbal bearing.
bottom paint is not going to happen this yr.
cant believe how far behind I am this yr.
if it was not for the war dept wanting a boat I can guarantee that thing would sit out this summer.

polarisrider1

Boat traffic is way down in these parts. The smaller boats (20' or less) are barely on the lakes and with nice weather. Gas is $4.30 at the station and $4:99 at the docks. Big Oil taking another industry down. But row boats and electric motor use is up on the smaller lakes. Times are a changing. Cost me $11 to fill the lawn mower.

miked

My boat stayed on the trailer this weekend...crappy weather AND high gas prices = no need to toss it in and only "kinda" have fun. I see what you are saying PR about there being less "larger" boats on the water, BUT, I'd have to say its more the government's fault than the fault of big oil Prohibitive taxation on both the fuel AND the boat itself, not to mention fees like registration and trailer tags (mine are $180/yr and renew every June...which meant that THIS year I had to buy one in March and then ANOTHER in June). Not to mention that its very difficult to get a loan on a "luxury item" nowadays. People complain about how expensive sledding is and I just kinda giggle to myself.

****'s Last Resort moved out of Ogden Slip over to Marina Towers...you can't go there by boat anymore as there is no transient slipage. :(

Thanks Nytro...I'm still getting used to driving her, but so far I love it.

Attachments

• sydwayzpic.jpg
    sydwayzpic.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 51

ezra

well was putting lower unit back together and found a full grown zebra mussel in the fresh water fitting in the lower unit.
going to pretend I did not see it and just hope they did not make there way all the way in to the block and start growing.
I need to check my ins to see if zebra mussel intrusive overheating causing motor to blow is covered.
have seen a few jet skis do it

polarisrider1

Ezra, check out your impellers before you launch. Them little guys are rough on those rubber impellers. I have "sea strainers" and those catch the mussels that are peas size and larger. Not sure if I/O's have anything like a strainer that you can install.

ezra

yep sx drive where the fitting goes from gimmbel to lower unit wedged between hose and plastic fitting on the inside.
not good.
I have only caught wind of 1 boat that blew last yr from zebra clogging up water jackets.
my bud owns a jet ski shop I have seen a few of those that blew from zebra.
they say u have to run your motor to full operating temp at least 1 time a week to kill the baby's before they grow up. l usually am lucky if my boat moves 2 time a mo.
I hate boats if it was not for the war dept I deff would not own a boat.cant even remember how many I have owned I am long past over it.
once this one goes I am done with boats till I am retired then I will buy a back water fishing boat to use when I am wintering in FL.

whitedust

Trying to convince my war depart to sell our pontoon reduce to Ranger,row boat & kayats pontoon just sits there PITA for me. Zebras in an engine is a nightmare to me happy none of those rascals around here.:(

ezra

Ezra, check out your impellers before you launch. Them little guys are rough on those rubber impellers. I have "sea strainers" and those catch the mussels that are peas size and larger. Not sure if I/O's have anything like a strainer that you can install.
nice thing about volvo sx is they have a large water pump mounted on motor like a alternator.those merc impellers are worthless.
BTW I do have invasive species damage coverage

Dave_B

nice thing about volvo sx is they have a large water pump mounted on motor like a alternator.those merc impellers are worthless.
BTW I do have invasive species damage coverage

So does that mean Wayne and I can invade your boat, party like rock stars and the damage will be covered?

Dave_B

The Supra has a thru hull at the water line. Always worried about those little bastages getting in but never had a problem. I assume they do but the exhaust must take care of any established invasion from taking place.

Shoot me some info on the Sea Guards/Screens you were talking about.

ezra

So does that mean Wayne and I can invade your boat, party like rock stars and the damage will be covered?
never thought of that angel
my 40+ yr old buddy's still have not mastered the are of pipe smoking.on our last sled trip my truck with less than 11k on it at the time got a fresh big smoldering bud size burn in the passenger seat.
urggg
come on over 28 yrs of practice and still that kind of crap.