Carter's Corner.....

carter

Carter Sez.....

Still got it. Its the carpet van. Boy, it sure sucked today... Were having a snow event in Jackson and I neglected to get my studded snows on. Its ok, only have to drive it 1 more day... Then its burb heaven and guiding... Can't get rid of that van....the old -itch runs so good....

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have found that using the excuse of the "kids can't cuz" is about something else. Back a few years ago I had a family here and their son, then 8 years old was on a Phazer. He could go anywhere we all went. Yes he had to be watched but they quickly found out that was my job and I am good at it. Then there is the Douglas Family from COLO., their 12 year old son was on a 800 polaris. Way too much sled for a young boy. WRONG....he could ride then and you should see him now...Then there's Riley.....10 or 11 when he first came. Dad bought him a new Phazer a couple years ago...I could see the struggle he was having and put him on my700 polaris RMK guide sled. Then he rode my polaris 700 RMK 163 tuned rocket. His dad was so mad at me, he saw the difference in his riding and new the phazer had to go away. He's on a 600rmk155 and that young man is a mountain rider. He isn't stupid, he rides with all kinds of caution and care, some thing that is rare in young people. He hates to lead and I make him do it all the time. Moral to the story, is its up to you and your children. They are so much fun to watch and ride with when they are taught right. Hello dad, bring them ...... as for conditions today, I give up....expecting 18 inches by Wed. am in town. Elevation got 20 inches over the weekend and Togwotee had 6 in new as Derek drove to work yesterday over Tog. pass. It's here with a bang... more later...

Well said Carter. My buddy Joe has a 14 year old son, he started riding when he was around 10-11. His first ride was a 98 XC700, one of Joe's old sleds that he still had. He is now on Joe's old 02 RMK 700 144x2. His first trip with us to the U.P. was April of 2007. That week 60" fell between Tuesday, and Saturday. One heck of a first rip for the lad. Anyways, even though he is only 14, he has been riding for quite sometime now, and does not ride over his head, and listens to what we tell him, even though he does throw in the occasional "yea, I know". :) This year he will be making his first trip out west with us, the Snowies in January. He attended the avy class swith us last week, and was full of questions on the way home.

As far as people saying kids shouldn't be on a 600, 700, 800, whatever, it depends on the kid. I forgot to mention he is a farm boy, there really isn't much he hasn't driven! LOL.

The first pic was March of 07 when he was 11, and the second one was in Dec of 09 when he was 13. The last one is what 13 year olds do when they are told to wash the mold release off the new belt. LOL.

Attachments

• 45649.jpg
    45649.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 70
  • pics 180 (Medium).jpg
    pics 180 (Medium).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 65
  • pics 152 (Medium).jpg
    pics 152 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 75
Still got it. Its the carpet van. Boy, it sure sucked today... Were having a snow event in Jackson and I neglected to get my studded snows on. Its ok, only have to drive it 1 more day... Then its burb heaven and guiding... Can't get rid of that van....the old -itch runs so good....

My old man still talks about the time you let him and Jerry Berg use it to "Tour" the local refreshment stands.

doospunk

Well said Carter. My buddy Joe has a 14 year old son, he started riding when he was around 10-11. His first ride was a 98 XC700, one of Joe's old sleds that he still had. He is now on Joe's old 02 RMK 700 144x2. His first trip with us to the U.P. was April of 2007. That week 60" fell between Tuesday, and Saturday. One heck of a first rip for the lad. Anyways, even though he is only 14, he has been riding for quite sometime now, and does not ride over his head, and listens to what we tell him, even though he does throw in the occasional "yea, I know". :) This year he will be making his first trip out west with us, the Snowies in January. He attended the avy class swith us last week, and was full of questions on the way home.

As far as people saying kids shouldn't be on a 600, 700, 800, whatever, it depends on the kid. I forgot to mention he is a farm boy, there really isn't much he hasn't driven! LOL.

The first pic was March of 07 when he was 11, and the second one was in Dec of 09 when he was 13. The last one is what 13 year olds do when they are told to wash the mold release off the new belt. LOL.

hahaha. E-man's gonna have the time of his life! (As short as it's been!). Tell him I've got a couple belts that need washing, and a few plugs that need polishing! Make sure he brings his wash cloth and wire brush!! haha.

mjkaliszak

Thanks for the encouragement. I have every intention of getting out there, I'm still working it out. I ran into problems with rentals and his age. My son... is quite the rider ( I must say ) . Carter & Wayne you guy's will like him, he is polite, respectful, humble and honestly a better / safer rider than me. He is agile & quick and I have spent 6 years grooming him. My 40+ to 50+ year old buddies " love him " and they all have complimented me on how well he rides. They admire his " respect for the machine " . Honestly he is a better rider than myself, not to mention exhibits none of my charcter defects. ( that would be good ). We are coming, I guess I will have to drive a sled out there or can I rent 1 for him ? I couldn't in years past, I even offered the rental guy's cash up front for his rental , like 10k with the explanation if he wrecks it I would buy the sled on the spot .... but they wouldn't budge. Wayne keep in touch, one way or another i'm going to work this out. Carter we are going to look you up and request you as a guide when we come. I better stop smoking and get preparred to start digging sleds out now. I'm working on this.....

carter

Carter Sez.....

Be a little more specific...Driving a sled out for your boy?...does that mean along with all the rest of the sleds you are bringing or are you renting everything out here and only driving his sled out.. Also, give me more info on him, size sled he can ride, what brand, I might be able to find a rental in town...or you find one in town and give it to him. There are ways to do this...more later...

Still got it. Its the carpet van. Boy, it sure sucked today... Were having a snow event in Jackson and I neglected to get my studded snows on.
Cool! You guys run studded tires all winter long. They put down so much salt here our roads aren't white from snow... it's the salt. It's pathetic really. We go through vehicles faster too...

Firecatguy

netcam.jpg

onefastcat

Carter, I think we are bitting the bullet and doing the 18 hour drive out next week.We are planning on being there Dec. 1-7th Couple questions-Will the lodge be open for Dec 1? Will there be guides and sled rentals available also? I've just heard a few different dates on things and want to clarify before we can.

mjkaliszak

Be a little more specific...Driving a sled out for your boy?...does that mean along with all the rest of the sleds you are bringing or are you renting everything out here and only driving his sled out.. Also, give me more info on him, size sled he can ride, what brand, I might be able to find a rental in town...or you find one in town and give it to him. There are ways to do this...more later...

Carter, I wanted to chew on this a little before I replied. I have 3 kids coming ( they all are in agreement ) 2 daughters & my son. . I would prefer to fly , rent 3 from TOG and we will ship my buddy's sled from Boulder for the event. I thought we would ship all our gear ahead of time UPS RED, then me and my motley crew fly out, ride for 3 days and fly back. That is the best I can come up with, I'm thinking we not going to be wearing the orange bubble face helmets, my daughters would revolt. My kids can ride, they have all been at it since 4-5 yrs old. Things get complicated since my daughters think they are better than my son, however I can tell you that is not so. Jessica rolled the F6 3X last year thinking she was as good as Matt. Sara likes to stick them in the trees , sink them in the lakes and miss turns, Matt only catches rentals on fire and burns down motors ! STILL WANT TO BE OUR GUIDE ??? Additionally, I have a long laundry list charcter defects . Feel free to wear your colored bra , kids will love it. Do you have a guide schedule that shows when your available ? I'm thinking we will come to ride during the week fly SAT or SUN ride M-T-W-TH-F ???? depends on your availability then fly back, after our DEC 25- Jan 1 trip to the western UP. JAN - FEB ? As far as my son, he has had a POO 600RR for the last 3 years , put about 7800 miles on it ( trail riding ). Also can ride my SD 800R, and I just bought him another racer 07 800 XRS from a good buddy, ALL the kids are good on 800's or 600's they have been trained to " have respect for the machine ". All can follow directions, all are respectful to the sport & to other peoples belongings. I will let you " chew" on this info for a while. Another thought, I might try to round up 1 of the kids friends to bring with, ( a snowmobilier ) an extra grand I don't have a problem with, let me check on air fare ect... that may complicate things . Additionally, if you have a family as you mentioned above with kids around the same ages , that have a trip scheduled with you as the guide, we can consider getting there / making plans for the same days. My kids would love that. 1 more thing WE have no mountian riding skills ! We will need a leader.
Please consider. Sorry for the essay.
Best Regards & Happy Thanksgiving
Mike

Last edited:

mjkaliszak

Wayne, let Me & Matt get some skills under our belt in the mountains. I spent about 1hr 15 min talking with Carter about our trip. Then as time goes on we would love to start tagging along with some of your trips. Even talked with Carter about storing a couple of M sleds out there in the future. I think we will want to develope some skills & learn a little and start making this part of our winter program. Spent another 1.5 hrs looking at You Tube videos about riding out west. I have been wanting to do this for 4-5 years, now is the time to start. We are going to rent the new POO 155's , Carter said there pretty sweet.

polarisrider1

Wayne, let Me & Matt get some skills under our belt in the mountains. I spent about 1hr 15 min talking with Carter about our trip. Then as time goes on we would love to start tagging along with some of your trips. Even talked with Carter about storing a couple of M sleds out there in the future. I think we will want to develope some skills & learn a little and start making this part of our winter program. Spent another 1.5 hrs looking at You Tube videos about riding out west. I have been wanting to do this for 4-5 years, now is the time to start. We are going to rent the new POO 155's , Carter said there pretty sweet.

Sounds good!

mjkaliszak

Any info on rental prices @TOG for the 800 POO PMK's per day when doing the " all inclusive " package. They say you get a discount , just curious, I'm trying to put numbers together. I could'nt get anyone on the horn when I called today. I estimating 250 per day ?

snoclo

Carter, just a warning?

:D Greg & I will be arriving on the 26th, Frank says he's go'in with this time, also.
Any word from Brett A. & Jack yet, last time I spoke with them, they said the time between Christmas and New Years worked best for them.

Polarisrider1, when you arriving? Don't forget the ropes.