It's February............time to speculate on 2014 sleds..........let the fun begin

F

fusion

I agree with Ez.....Yam will not sell A/C a motor for one of their own models. This makes zero sense from a marketing point of view.
In business you make money one of 2 predominant ways: 1.) Sell big volume with modest margins or 2.) Sell low volume with huge margins
What does Yamaha have to gain by doing this? Big volume? I think not. This won't catch on for 5+ yrs, if at all.
Big margin on low volume? Nope. Why would A/C pay top dollar for a 4S motor, then turn around and sell their sled for $14 - 15K, like Yamaha does?
A/C already said in a press release they intend to build their own motors. (Good luck with those warranty costs for the 1st 3-4 yrs. - A/C)
This doesn't add up at all. And I can't see why Yamaha wants an A/C chassis in their lineup either. Who the heck buys an A/C for the chassis?
They aren't exactly know for their stellar quality and that doesn't fit with Yamaha's market philosophy.
If you want the best chassis, you arguably buy a Doo or a Poo.
If as Ez says, you want the race proven hi performance tech power, you buy the A/C.
I don't see where there's a convergence of market synergies here at all.
I suppose you could argue that's the beauty of it from A/C and Yam perspective, but it seems like a lot of business complexity in terms of JV agreements, for the end market yield in profit.
Since the dealer is so emphatic about his wager, I'm not willing to put up the 20, but I'll poke around to eat crow if it turns out to be true, or thump my chest if correct.
Interesting discussion if nothing else.

quikhd

I guess I don't get the whole Yammi A/C potential collaboration theory. For years the big 4 brands have marketed their companies and their products as being different and unique from the competitors. Now all of a sudden 2 competitors are going to climb in bed together and they(respective companies) feel that will not hurt the CORE customers that they have worked so hard to grow. Come on! There are plenty of engine manufacturing companies out there that Cat could outsource to if they wanted, that would not include "sleeping with the enemy"! This theory seems about as crazy as Harley and Honda joining forces. I could be totally wrong here but it just does not make any sense unless we are talking about a pure financial move in that perhaps along with the break up with suzuki Cat is also obligated to buy back the shares of the company that suzuki currently owns and maybe Cat does not have the available funds to do that so they in turn are looking for someone/company that does. So did Yammie Buy out suzuki in their shares of Cat and the gentlemans agreement is the new engine plant will produce both Cat and Yammie motors but entirely seperate. The masses would not care about that. They could share technology but the sleds need to remain very seperate. I just think a joint sled with different colors and badges is a recipe for disaster on both companies part. Cats financials have been strong and problematic sleds or not the brand loyalty is still alive and growing. I see a similar "cult like" following with Cat as in Harley. This is part of what just baffles me in all the talk about this subject.

Again, maybe I am in left field here but just my 2 cents!

jmag

wasnt the original idea that yam was going to trade their 2s di tech to ac for suspension tech? not actual engines, just the di tech from their outboards so there is no competition issue. sledrumors.com feels cat will be coming out with a 140hp, 650di cat built engine also a 170hp 850. they will debut in the mountain segment. i guess we will find out for sure soon but there will be a 650 in my garage IF.....

shelby369

Cat using Yami's direct injection system seems to make the most sense. Yami has it in its outboards and isn't using it for sleds. Otherwise I don't see the point for Cat to switch from Suzi. Plus if Cat makes its own ATV engines they probably have intention to make their own sled engines too.

Agree

polarisrider1

I guess I don't get the whole Yammi A/C potential collaboration theory. For years the big 4 brands have marketed their companies and their products as being different and unique from the competitors. Now all of a sudden 2 competitors are going to climb in bed together and they(respective companies) feel that will not hurt the CORE customers that they have worked so hard to grow. Come on! There are plenty of engine manufacturing companies out there that Cat could outsource to if they wanted, that would not include "sleeping with the enemy"! This theory seems about as crazy as Harley and Honda joining forces. I could be totally wrong here but it just does not make any sense unless we are talking about a pure financial move in that perhaps along with the break up with suzuki Cat is also obligated to buy back the shares of the company that suzuki currently owns and maybe Cat does not have the available funds to do that so they in turn are looking for someone/company that does. So did Yammie Buy out suzuki in their shares of Cat and the gentlemans agreement is the new engine plant will produce both Cat and Yammie motors but entirely seperate. The masses would not care about that. They could share technology but the sleds need to remain very seperate. I just think a joint sled with different colors and badges is a recipe for disaster on both companies part. Cats financials have been strong and problematic sleds or not the brand loyalty is still alive and growing. I see a similar "cult like" following with Cat as in Harley. This is part of what just baffles me in all the talk about this subject.

Again, maybe I am in left field here but just my 2 cents!

Actually you make a lot of sense on this topic.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Rumors from Dewalt that they are coming out with a 480v, hyper conductive electric sled, using copper chromium hydride batteries with a net weight of 422 lbs, equivalent max HP of 145, top speed of 105 mph with direct drive (no clutching, no gearing, no lube). Recharges from 10% to 100% in 65 minutes with standard 120 v household current.

Ok, dream over. Maybe someday though!

-John

xsledder

Rumors from Dewalt that they are coming out with a 480v, hyper conductive electric sled, using copper chromium hydride batteries with a net weight of 422 lbs, equivalent max HP of 145, top speed of 105 mph with direct drive (no clutching, no gearing, no lube). Recharges from 10% to 100% in 65 minutes with standard 120 v household current.

-John

Dream? I thought you where on an acid trip with that description!!!

ezra

View attachment 38518 HMMMM going for the NFL fans

those were for the Arctic blast last weekend it is heald every yr
more or less a poker run that every one gets somthing
was planning on going this yr but the old back said no.
it is for the Vikings childers fund
lots of old and current players. cheerleaders at every. bar prizes at every bar.they have busses if u dont want to ride sled or get drunk and want to just ride the bus
good event
http://www.vikings.com/schedule/arctic-blast.html

Slapshot

Your right EZRA it was the Blast weekend I,ve been to 15 out of 18 of them and I,m not a Viking fan but it, for a good causes. 02-12-2013 06;23;06PM.jpg ac blast 2013 026.jpg ac blast 2013 038.jpg

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member

-John

I like it! Just think of where we could go out west with a no noise sled!

rocketman356

put a real turbo on that gade pushing more than a few lbs and she will blow in about 5mi
heck they are cooking in 660ft and need to be towed back to the line
Put over 2,000 miles only thing that ever blew was stock clutch ,,,,,took a second in outlaw open mod class out east at the Poconos hill drags with the only sled with trail stickers and reg on it in that class of 14 with my fat azz on it and rear view mirrors to boot,,

Attachments

• IMG_0136w.jpg
    IMG_0136w.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 164104_706832829492_31100819_39289287_5349757_n.jpg
    164104_706832829492_31100819_39289287_5349757_n.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: