New sled problems

indy_500

do the math on that one I would hope it was still together

2500 offtrail mountain/tree riding miles is equivalent to 6000 trail miles I would hope it is still together too but anything over 3k is really good for that kind of riding.

ezra

for a poo yes it is good .
am7/ m8 is usually good to 5k . I know of 1 with 9 on original top before he tossed in a set . and he rides for part of his living .
I would be swapping tops on any modern poo at or before 2500 .

indy_500

for a poo yes it is good .
am7/ m8 is usually good to 5k . I know of 1 with 9 on original top before he tossed in a set . and he rides for part of his living .
I would be swapping tops on any modern poo at or before 2500 .

If I happen to keep mine that long I will be doing a top end on it after next season even though itd have a year left of warranty. Chances are though I'll be on a axys rmk next year.

Hoosier

'05 AC T660 Turbo Touring, 250 hrs, 5151 miles with zero problems before I sold it. Also had Polaris, Ski-doo, and Yamaha with problems, I don't get the point of these threads based on anecdotal information. I won't buy a Ford because of my experience with them, doesn't mean they are bad and who really cares anyway.

Agree 100%

ezra

If I happen to keep mine that long I will be doing a top end on it after next season even though itd have a year left of warranty. Chances are though I'll be on a axys rmk next year.
I would be looking at the new rmk my self if I actually put any time on my sled this yr. as it looks I will be on my 14 for at least 1 more . if kitty really comes out with a di 850 then we all know what I will buy

xsledder

Doing this for 2500 miles puts a lot more stress on a motor than 7500 miles of trail riding. Just sayin. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...37876231&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_comment

And you would know this how? I take it you took reading of the engine temp at the block, cylinder, and head. You took readings of the strain on the engine at the mounts. Took the motor apart and measured wear on the piston, rings, cylinder wall, rod and crank. etc. And this was under a control environment. You also did the same thing on a equal trail sled? Just asking.

indy_500

And you would know this how? I take it you took reading of the engine temp at the block, cylinder, and head. You took readings of the strain on the engine at the mounts. Took the motor apart and measured wear on the piston, rings, cylinder wall, rod and crank. etc. And this was under a control environment. You also did the same thing on a equal trail sled? Just asking.

Nope, just common sense!!

dawolf

oh I thought those were just a gay pick up line kind of thing for the wayside rest and truck stop parking lots for guys who are not hip to grinder

Ezra is our resident expert on homosexual secret handshakes and bathroom stall rendezvous at the truck stop.

xsledder

Leave the statement "common sense" to things like don't touch a hot pot, otherwise it is an ignorant statement.

- - - Updated - - -

moos822,

Sounds like you unfortunately got a "Friday" sled. Stickers falling off is a new one to me. Hopefully you have a good dealer. Good luck.

Your situation is a little like me buying Suburbans, had three good ones and the 4th was a "Friday car". Next car was a Durango because you feel slighted. When you buy enough of one brand you are going to run into a bad one. They don't QC everything off the assembly line.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

Good one Indy! You mean you didn't take the engine apart? Just asking. Why do so many have to attack and stir the pot? It's getting really old IMO.

lotoftoys

With new technology comes problems. 35 years ago my sled had a 340-440cc low HP engine by todays standards. A steel rigid frame, basic suspension , pull start, carbs etc. If the starter/recoil broke you wrapped a rope around the primary and went for it. Todays sleds are much more complicated. These days all you can do is minimum maint. without having access to a computer. However with all the engineering going into these sleds you think they would be better for the amount of cash you puke out for one. Tons of recalls and updates also. It is not a brand or industry isolated problem. Yep frustrating.

EXCESSIVE FORCE

Doing this for 2500 miles puts a lot more stress on a motor than 7500 miles of trail riding. Just sayin. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...32737876231&type=2&theater¬if_t=video_comment

Was laughing at the fact that he owns one and isn't bothered by the brand bashing and can laugh with the best of them.I could care less who thinks brand X is better that brand Y. Competition between the brands is always going to be better for the consumer. FWIW we bought 2 new Cats this year one great and one problem child that is in the shop for minor problems that hopefully will be resolved.I know at least a couple Doo guys that have had problems and a couple Poo guys too.Yamaha not so much.I hardly think the OP wanted to start ANOTHER brand bashing thread,but it will happen every time. I'm sure he just wanted to vent. I'm sure boondocking is harder on the sled ,or at least the belt...

- - - Updated - - -

The electric start on my 2010 F8 LXR was crap too and is still acting up for the current owner with 18,000 mi on the odo...........

L

lenny

Ezra is our resident expert on homosexual secret handshakes and bathroom stall rendezvous at the truck stop.

maybe this is where the phrase "sticky fingers" originated from?

I didn't say "stinky fingers"

shelby369

I have to be the counter balance to cat's breaking down...... I have 8 cats from 2004 to 2015 with collectively over 60,000 miles......I have had zero mechanical issues other than normal wear and tear on any sled..... all motors are untouched.... the sleds are well taken care of and only run amsoil ( don't know if that matters)......the 2004 has 18,000 plus trouble free miles and is in the hands of a 20 year old in Houghton who still cant destroy it....

Now I ride in Vilas Co. 90% of my time with 7 other guys..5 Doo's, 1 Poo and myself....In the last year of riding, all 5 Doo guys have had major mechanical failures....does than mean Doo sucks??? not at all.......I think a lot of sled failures or not is more based on how you treat it.....one of the guys in our group bought a new 2015 Etec 800 and right out of the box this sled has been pounded on and has had problems......I went and got a ZR5000 and took the time to break it in and change the oil at 500 miles.....now sled is passing 3200 miles and hasn't missed a beat....... If you buy two brand new pickup trucks one a ford the other a chevy....the chevy is only hwy driven and the ford is used everyday for plowing snow, which truck is more likely to have a epic failure??? the ford....you cant say ford is junk in a broad statement....it was used differently..........as with sleds.