SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

whitedust

Maybe in Walworth County but snow totals all over the place with Whitewater over 7”. Along RT 36 in Burlington was bare. Maybe northern Walworth can get trails open. Racine is doubtful wet and maybe 5 inches. I’m new here so maybe Racine will open but I don’t expect good conditions.

ryanslyne

Maybe in Walworth County but snow totals all over the place with Whitewater over 7”. Along RT 36 in Burlington was bare. Maybe northern Walworth can get trails open. Racine is doubtful wet and maybe 5 inches. I’m new here so maybe Racine will open but I don’t expect good conditions.
Yeah sounds like there is a sharp cut off from northern to southern part of Walworth county as well as to the east Racine/ Kenosha. National Weather service has a pretty good graphic showing snowfall totals that pretty much sums this up.

timo

About 8 inches yesterday,,, Wash. Co. is open. (think like north of Hwy 33 open, and think eastern Wash. co may still be closed)
this snow was light and fluffy especially first 4 inches.. trails were bare dirt before snow fall so not expecting much. get it if you can all 40's next week.

snobuilder

Rock is open, Jefferson and Waukesha sound like they will open.

As far as Racine and Walworth co., I say open them up with an announcement as to the actual snow depths from north to south and let the riders decide. If not, this will just be another nail in the snowmobile coffin in SE WI.
1st nail was having to get a trail pass for if and when it snows, and now the trails are held hostage by a few individuals.
Ppl aren't dumb they will head back home when the trails suck.....yes I know...it's the "other guy" that's dumb and will be shootin' dirt rooster tails all over the county.....LOL....save it, Not true.

ridindirty800

NWS calling for 3-5" wed night into Thursday, followed by wind and very cold for 2 days. Trails appear to be grooming up nice in Walworth county and if the snow comes should get a nice 4 day run of trails before the big warm up comes Monday. Sadly from Monday on looks to be 40-45 for at least a week. So this weekend may be it if the snow comes.

1fujifilm

NWS calling for 3-5" wed night into Thursday, followed by wind and very cold for 2 days. Trails appear to be grooming up nice in Walworth county and if the snow comes should get a nice 4 day run of trails before the big warm up comes Monday. Sadly from Monday on looks to be 40-45 for at least a week. So this weekend may be it if the snow comes.

Ride'em quick, probably closed again by Monday for the year; 40's for a week.

Bear

ryanslyne

John says 1-3" for us other saying up to about 5" I think anything we get will help and likely for trails to open by Thursday I would hope. Just my two cents.

RS

pclark

I agree that the trails should open down here in the southern part of the state especially Waukesha and Jefferson counties. We are responsible for part of the Drumlin trail and a trail north of Dousman, WI. It is ready to open as well as the Drumlin. I understand that there may still be water in spots but our nights have been cold now for two straight in the low teens. If they don't open them by Wednesday/Thursday there is really no point opening them this year as Sat/Sun the warmup begins and next week temps get pretty warm according to the weather forecasts (They could be wrong?) We also get people who are not club members, don't know the rules, and just go out whenever they feel and I have already seen tracks this morning even though trails remain closed, more will follow. Its 28 degrees at noon today and there is at least 6" of snow, trails were panned the other night and look pretty good considering what we have to work with. Let the people get a few miles on their sleds if they want to ride in these conditions, not everyone can get up to the Northwoods to ride. We honestly have probably had a total of about 4 weeks of open trails the last 3 years on our system, no complaints just want to see some of the people enjoy what we have for a few days while we have white. JMO

Snirtdawg

Rock is open, Jefferson and Waukesha sound like they will open.

As far as Racine and Walworth co., I say open them up with an announcement as to the actual snow depths from north to south and let the riders decide. If not, this will just be another nail in the snowmobile coffin in SE WI.
1st nail was having to get a trail pass for if and when it snows, and now the trails are held hostage by a few individuals.
Ppl aren't dumb they will head back home when the trails suck.....yes I know...it's the "other guy" that's dumb and will be shootin' dirt rooster tails all over the county.....LOL....save it, Not true.

Hope the coffin never closes. I am the trail boss in the SW corner of the county and I have no concern whether they open or not. I'll be doing it every year until until somebody pries the post pounder from my hands! Once their gone, tough to ever come back.

pclark

Well said Snirtdawg! At 63 I enjoy this part of the Clubs activities, I too am Trail Boss for our Clubs trails and we have a pretty good group of guys that we can rely on that just like getting out and brushing and pounding stakes. Just like to see the trails open when we have the white that we have right now because down here it doesn't last very long as we all know. I do let the younger guys handle the post pounder most of the time.

ryanslyne

Ya how will the cornfields be if we get 4-6 in ?
Great question, but I can say 80% of our corn field never got the disc this year due to the fall that we had with crops coming off late and everything being wet and then the quick cold/ snow. I welcome you to check out the pictures I posted to our clubs Facebook page yesterday to judge for yourself if you wish. Check out East Troy Snow Trojans on Facebook. Everything looks pretty good and ready to ride as pclark has stated here. With the cold temperature at night everything should have set up pretty good considering our location and amount of snow that we have. Waiting on ideal conditions around here is never going to happen, keep waiting and we will lose the opportunity. I am one that votes to open them as well and if people want to ride then let them. Either way I am a club member and VP of our club and used to be the trail boss. I understand what it takes to make the trails even happen and I put in the work every fall and spring with low assistance. It is frustrating when they don't get used as much as they should and we love to see people enjoy the hard work we put in. So hopefully we get them open soon around here!

RS

snobuilder

Hope the coffin never closes. I am the trail boss in the SW corner of the county and I have no concern whether they open or not. I'll be doing it every year until until somebody pries the post pounder from my hands! Once their gone, tough to ever come back.

Post pounding ...as fun as that is ,...is done so we can ride.... not just to set up the trails.
Your first objective is to open these trails....4" of snow.....thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said Snirtdawg! At 63 I enjoy this part of the Clubs activities, I too am Trail Boss for our Clubs trails and we have a pretty good group of guys that we can rely on that just like getting out and brushing and pounding stakes. Just like to see the trails open when we have the white that we have right now because down here it doesn't last very long as we all know. I do let the younger guys handle the post pounder most of the time.
ditto

- - - Updated - - -

i will say it again...if you think it is your job to lourde over the trails until you see a perfect situation...that ain't happening.

Last edited:

ridindirty800

Ya how will the cornfields be if we get 4-6 in ?

Ryan summed it up well! From what I see after grooming, chisel plowed fields will be poor/fair but all other areas still had a base for the most part before last snow and should be good. On the plus side they are talking winds and drifting which can sometimes really drift in the trail and make even the plowed fields good. Also warm on Sunday but maybe a little more snow Monday and stays colder still like Wed of next week.

pclark

The latest for Waukesha County is Thursday morning. Conditions aren't going to get any better than they are now, 2-4" tonight (Reality is 1-2" of fluffy snow) but anything helps. Time to open them up!

timo

Took a quick 75 mile rip last night in Wash. Co. Wasn't too bad if you know where to go. Woods were fine,,, little thin but smooth.
open field were flat and fast. Ran about a mile thru one chiseld field that was awful,,, couldn't avoid it where i was going. I didn't get over 10 MPH.
this is all in Harford, West Bend, Monches, Hubertus, and maybe a couple other hick towns.

U gotta ride it now while you can. It is what it is.

ryanslyne

Well if it snows tonight, it looks like we will get the opportunity. How long it will last is the question? Time will tell. Ridindirty800 is right the forecast is looking better than initially thought chance of snow Saturday and Monday/ Tuesday and temperatures do not look like they will get out of control in the warm direction. So maybe they will last longer than we think. And for sure drifting after tonight's snow I am sure will help some parts as it usually does.

RS

snobuilder

Heading to Burlington the past couple days since it snowed it is painful to see the trails closed and unused....i'd actually feel a little better if someone...(kids?)... ran a few tracks down them. What I see now is a general disinterest in the sport in this marginal condition area of the state....really sad. 25-50 years ago before websites and call in trail reports the trails would have been ridden this week.

Last edited: