SE WI - Walworth - Waukesha - Racine - Kenosha - Jefferson Counties

whitedust

You should join our snowmobile club, Tichigan Sno-n-Go. We are holding an ice fishing jamboree this Saturday on the lake and then following at Bobberz on Fox Lake Road in Tichigan. Or next meeting is at the Tichigan Lions Club on HWY 164 next week Wednesday, Jan 10th. Even if you dont want to join, feel free to stop at either and we can fill you in on all the area info and surely find you some riding buddies.

The marsh trail, yes its a bit wet due to the 10k lbs groomer driving through many times in the past two days but that will go away with the next few cold nights.

I did join this is my second year of membership. I don’t get notifications of meetings or other events. I tried to attend a couple of Fall meetings but they were canceled because an officer was ill then a month later I think Covid canceled another. Does the club send out email notifications of meetings and events???

whitedust

Not for doos and not going to happen here farm fields always going to have dips and lumps. For me I’m back to the 90s riding farm field but sleds are much better. Lol

ryanslyne

Eastern Walworth was rough last night.

Yeah I heard a few spots getting pretty rough. Our clubs Facebook page received a few questions and reports on this as well. To my understanding it is hard to get guys to volunteer to groom especially when most would rather ride the snowmobile. One loop also takes quite some time in Walworth County. Hopefully they can get out in the next few days before it gets really cold and those bumps are hard to smooth out. More snow Thursday will help it some.

RS

Rock County trails at least the southern are very rough. Lots of sleds way more than usual dirt showing in arears that are narrow. I don't there is much grooming going on.

wiviperman

I saw the groomer on my way home from work last night on the North-West side of Walworth past Kikkoman's. I was in the truck, saw multiple sleds too. Trails looked pretty decent. One thing I need to add is everyone needs to STAY ON THE TRAILS/stay between the signs!
The tracks are out wide enough past the Orange Blazer Signs to make the trail look like a road or even wider. THIS BEHAVIOR IS GOING TO MAKE US LOSE TRAILS!
All it takes is one land owner to be upset and access is lost & then trails have to be re-routed or are gone.
RIDE RIGHT & STAY ON THE TRAIL!!!

whitedust

I saw the groomer on my way home from work last night on the North-West side of Walworth past Kikkoman's. I was in the truck, saw multiple sleds too. Trails looked pretty decent. One thing I need to add is everyone needs to STAY ON THE TRAILS/stay between the signs!
The tracks are out wide enough past the Orange Blazer Signs to make the trail look like a road or even wider. THIS BEHAVIOR IS GOING TO MAKE US LOSE TRAILS!
All it takes is one land owner to be upset and access is lost & then trails have to be re-routed or are gone.
RIDE RIGHT & STAY ON THE TRAIL!!!
What I saw NE Walworth and NW Racine counties riders were doing pretty well staying inside the markers. I will say to those that venture out side the markers you just have no idea what’s under that field snow. This was years ago but we stopped for a break on side of trail in a farm field and I tripped over a wire in the snow. We pulled on the wire and was at least 100 feet of barbed wire plowed in the ground. We bundled up the 100 feet and tied a flag on it but if someone caught a ski on that barbed wire it wouldn’t have been pretty. Sure made me stay between the markers after that.

ryanslyne

Yeah I know personally when we mark the trail for our club we remove any large rocks or other obstructions that are in between the markers on the trail in the fields or other places. But trust me when I say there are many that are left just outside the sticks. And there are more than just large rocks, I have seen broken fence posts, barb wire, and large stumps laying in the trail that we have removed but anything outside the trail gets left at least by our club. It appears our area in Northern Walworth county this year is doing pretty good for people staying between the sticks for the most part. There are a couple fields where you can see that was deviated from I am guessing mainly due to earlier in the year when the chisel plowed fields were bad and people are now continuing to follow these old tracks. But I will be one to warn against that for sure. After pulling multiple large rocks in one day and pounding in a couple hundred posts I am not about to go and remove a rock that is 2ft in diameter that is technically a couple feet off the trail. If you go off the trail then that is your own fault and you never know when that large hurtful rock will be waiting for you underneath that fresh snow off the trail. I will also mention while we are talking about the trail in general that every spring when pulling the signs out we fill completely a large garbage bag or two of broken sled parts: windshields, hand guards, belts, bogey wheels, and beer cans. Pick up after yourself on the trail, it is not your property! I get a bogey wheel or two or maybe a broken carbide or studs left behind inadvertently. But beer cans and shredded belts can easily be taken with you in the seat, bag or other. Trust me when a farmer comes across it and it causes damage to their equipment we hear about it. Hence why we pick it up before they get out there in the spring! But we do not catch everything I know for sure! I know I personally will stop when riding to pick up any trash I see laying on the trail and shove it in my bag on the back of my sled even though it isn't mine as long as I have room. So moral of the story stay between the stick and pickup after yourself on other peoples property and we shouldn't have any issues.

RS

snobuilder

Yeah but I didn’t care I was riding!!!!! Lol

Us too. I was just reporting a trail condition on a trail condition forum, that's all.

To what Ryanslyne said,....LOL... I had the same thoughts while riding.... lack of volunteer groomer drivers. As far as staying between the blazes....you will have ppl outside a them seeking smoother conditions until those smoother conditions exist BETWEEN the blazers.
I'm not condoning it, just stating facts.

ryanslyne

Us too. I was just reporting a trail condition on a trail condition forum, that's all.

To what Ryanslyne said,....LOL... I had the same thoughts while riding.... lack of volunteer groomer drivers. As far as staying between the blazes....you will have ppl outside a them seeking smoother conditions until those smoother conditions exist BETWEEN the blazers.
I'm not condoning it, just stating facts.

Yeah I withdrawal my statement that we were doing pretty good in this part of the county with people staying between the stakes. I rode to work this morning and trails are bumpy and in most places trail is at least double the width it should be and in other places 3 times the width. And for sure it is a fact it wont change until the trail smooths out. I took it the whole way between the stakes this morning but was standing the whole time. I know others probably prefer to not do that.

RS

RS

- - - Updated - - -

PS More snow coming to make the bumps bigger! HAHAHA :topsy_turvy:

pclark

Same here in Western Waukesha County, For the first couple of weeks it looked like we had some very responsible riders and they were staying between the stakes and riding responsibly. The last few days I have seen riding outside the stakes and people also venturing off into fields to ride onto private property. This needs to stop, I know this is people that are not in clubs and have no clue what it takes to maintain and keep these trails so not intended for anyone on this post. If you see someone doing this please have a nice talk with them about why we go to all the work to put two stakes up and mark trails. We are going to hopefully have some of the signs below that Antigo Club uses next year.

IMG_6457.jpg

whitedust

Same here in Western Waukesha County, For the first couple of weeks it looked like we had some very responsible riders and they were staying between the stakes and riding responsibly. The last few days I have seen riding outside the stakes and people also venturing off into fields to ride onto private property. This needs to stop, I know this is people that are not in clubs and have no clue what it takes to maintain and keep these trails so not intended for anyone on this post. If you see someone doing this please have a nice talk with them about why we go to all the work to put two stakes up and mark trails. We are going to hopefully have some of the signs below that Antigo Club uses next year.

View attachment 62603

I hear ya I used to try to reason with people on the trail and they don’t want to hear it. The nice ones flip you off the lol the others get really pissed yell and scream at ya. I gave that up along time ago. I get your point but mind my own business on the trail I’ll help anyone with mechanical problems but not going to enter in how to ride discussions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

We lost a crucial section of trail this winter for this exact reason. It had been going on for years and the landowner finally had enough. Not sure how many trails will be left in 20 years between this crap and when land gets sold the new owners typically do not want the trail going through their new property. We even lost another section of trail this year when the parents passed away and the son cut us off.

whitedust

We lost a crucial section of trail this winter for this exact reason. It had been going on for years and the landowner finally had enough. Not sure how many trails will be left in 20 years between this crap and when land gets sold the new owners typically do not want the trail going through their new property. We even lost another section of trail this year when the parents passed away and the son cut us off.

I don’t know how to get thru to these Yahoo’s that trespass off the marked trail. Seems like we need a state wide campaign to make riders realize trespassing closes trails.

mike1970

Hey Mark. What sections of the trail are you speaking of? I haven't been able to ride much outside of a couple trips around the Casey Loop. Thanks!