So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

wiviperman

Wow! Awesome job and very impressive! I’m 50 years old & couldn’t imagine taking on a project of that size. I would need to seriously work on my physical condition to ever be close to try to build something of that magnitude, that & I’m not very good at construction.
Congrats on your dream garage! I have been dreaming of building a garage at my place up north but have not been able to obtain it yet.
Maybe one day my dream will come true, that’s if I don’t sell the place first.

pclark

Wow! Awesome job and very impressive! I’m 50 years old & couldn’t imagine taking on a project of that size. I would need to seriously work on my physical condition to ever be close to try to build something of that magnitude, that & I’m not very good at construction.
Congrats on your dream garage! I have been dreaming of building a garage at my place up north but have not been able to obtain it yet.
Maybe one day my dream will come true, that’s if I don’t sell the place first.
Thanks, I knew what I wanted and it took me awhile to figure out the area and the guys that I could hire to actually do what I wanted them to do. I am the GC for the project and there are a lot of parts involved with it. We are basically 32 days into the build and things are starting to come together nicely, and they really have too because the bad weather is right around the corner. Gas line is coming in a couple of weeks so we will have a furnace installed to heat the building (nothing like a heated garage up here in the winter!) electrical will be phased in as I have a local guy that is very good and works well with me. My goal is to be dried in by the end of October and I think we are on track for that. I have some great friends that have helped me but I have done a lot of the heavy lifting myself. It will go down as one of my greater accomplisments.

pclark

Hard to believe that we started framing the lower garage only 45 days ago. I have had some help from neighbors and friends but this week we managed to get the upper level (600sf, 20'x30') framed and ready to put trusses on very soon. If you are wondering why the OSB is not on parts of the upper level it's because we will slide the trusses through and then set them using scaffolding. I will then finish the west wall and start sheathing the roof, once that is done I will put on the ice & water, the silicone felt paper and it will be water proof! I am very pleased with where we are at in the process and think that we can be dried in by the end of October. I am going to have someone shingle the roof and have one estimate in hand and waiting for another. As I look at the project I sometimes get a little anxious about the timing and getting dried in. Gas line will be buried to the house in mid October, Furnace installed in early November, and so goes the story. Thats all for now!
1695948641540.png
1695948722269.png
1695948754399.png
1695948782723.png
1695948882102.png

Not sure if garage is the right description for what you have built here, you are sure to be the envy of all the neighbors. At least it's been staying fairly mild weather wise so far this fall and hopefully will hold out for you until you can get the heat hooked up. After that bring on the cold and snow, looking forward to the pics of the final product. Very cool to let us in on your awesome project.

pclark

Not sure if garage is the right description for what you have built here, you are sure to be the envy of all the neighbors. At least it's been staying fairly mild weather wise so far this fall and hopefully will hold out for you until you can get the heat hooked up. After that bring on the cold and snow, looking forward to the pics of the final product. Very cool to let us in on your awesome project.
Yes, it's kind of turned in to more of a house, total sf is 1200sf down and 600 sf up.

C W

Just a thought but where that roof meets that second floor wall. I would take the water and ice ripped it in half and put half on the wall and half on the roof and then still use the step flashing.

pclark

Just a thought but where that roof meets that second floor wall. I would take the water and ice ripped it in half and put half on the wall and half on the roof and then still use the step flashing.
Thanks CW, The guy that is going roof my garage also mentioned that and he will install the step flashing when doing the shingles. Can't wait to this roofed. Tomorrow the trusses go on the other side and then sheathing starts next Monday or so.

pclark

Trusses are on the 2nd story, start sheathing the roof this week. My wif e and I were having a cocktail on the pier because it was so nice tonight I looked up and saw what I had built and it is kind of cool looking from down by the lake. It gives a little insight into what things might look like in a couple of years when we get done with the project. Praying for some really nice weather in October, need to get dried in!
1696207886014.png
1696207909444.png
1696207943714.png

skiroule

This just gets better and better. If it were me I'd be moving into the garage and use the house for storage. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking "Geez, I wish I could do that."

Last edited:

euphoric1

"So......I started a new project, My new garage!" Thinking you have more than just a garage project going on there! WOW!! moving right along and looking nice! Is that the in-laws quarters on top? LOL