Walworth, Racine & Kenosha Counties

ryanslyne

Just put in about 80 miles with group of 6. East Troy, Lyons, Abel's corners, etc. trails are flat crisp and fast tonight. Few of chisel plowed fields you can hear skis hitting rocks. Other than that i was happy with the ride. Rail road grade is damn good. I would give them a 7 out of 10. All trails we were on were groomed at least once.

RS

Just put in about 80 miles with group of 6. East Troy, Lyons, Abel's corners, etc. trails are flat crisp and fast tonight. Few of chisel plowed fields you can hear skis hitting rocks. Other than that i was happy with the ride. Rail road grade is damn good. I would give them a 7 out of 10. All trails we were on were groomed at least once.

RS

Good to hear, I'm going to ride the same loop tomorrow afternoon. I know the fields near Alpine Valley can be thin from wind blowing the snow off the fields.

ryanslyne

Yeah there was a few fields just east of Alpine Valley that were a little wind blown but 85% of them were good. After work yesterday I did get on some fresh groomed trails in the State Forest in Waukesha county. That was really nice. Not sure if will hold up to the traffic and warm temps through the weekend. By Sunday it might be little rough and sloppy with a high of 33 on Saturday. I guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out. But as of right now I would say they are good. It was -20 in East Troy this morning so they should have set up nicely over night.

09twoup

2015-02-05_11.18.24.jpg 2015-02-05_12.22.02.jpg We groomed the trails from Kenosha Airport to Somers Inn west to Jeddy's and south to Bristol House last night and this morning, or basically most of corridor trail 42. Most had pretty good snow with a little snirt in spots. Not sure how it will hold up with the sun and number of sleds and with the warm weather coming. Groomer probably wont go back out until late Friday or Saturday morning, we are going to try to get a little riding in ourselves.

jetrep

I did about 50 miles this afternoon. I started out near the Stumble Inn. I went past Jeddy's and through Bong. I was surprised to see how much snow already melted since I rode Monday. Overall the trails were okay but of course thin in spots. Snow was pretty thin in the Bong area. You have to be careful going through there as the skis don't bite in many of the turns.

I think the trails will be pretty much done by the end of tomorrow with the warm up.

tomx

They should have closed Walworth at midnight Friday. Saw people riding mud....a lot of mud Saturday afternoon. Stupidity like that does nothing for landowner relationships. Those same guys will be wondering why the trail will get closed down next year.

sledrider103

Hard to believe that one day of 40 and sun ruined what were fair-good trails Friday night. Guess that's just how this winter is going to be this year. A dud.

timo

Hard to believe that one day of 40 and sun ruined what were fair-good trails Friday night. Guess that's just how this winter is going to be this year. A dud.

its really not that hard to believe considering there was no snow, no base on the ground before this 12 inch snow fall last sunday. after settling and a couple of 35 plus degree temps,,, good bye...
this winter absolutely blows!!

79txl

Im to the point now to put the sleds away cause im so damn disgusted with this crap winter. If we had a fraction of snow they have out in Boston we'd be set.

79txl

Not sure if you read here but trails up north are not good. Rideable yes. If im going to travel 6 hrs. for that it just isn't worth it. Not for snirty trails that is.

j57snow

Went out this afternoon from hwy 14/51 by Janesville was debating going when it started to rain and wind came up but after about20 minutes changed to flurries & the fog went away. headed north toward Lake Koshkonong put on about 50 miles it was about 80% good, couple of rough stretches but for the most part good & ridable, didn't see anybody else until got to Charles bluff couple of sleds out on the lake. Would of went further but rock county was only county open today in southern wi. if we would get a few inches with the cold this week would be great.

ryanslyne

Well the warm weather has come and gone and we are now shut down until we get more snow. The forecast doesn't look promising for the next 6 days at least. I did stop yesterday to let someone know the trails were closed that they were riding on. Not really sure why they were riding on them anyway since most of the trails are down to dirt in most areas. A few spots have some snow on them still but for the most part there is nothing left. I was nice about it but frustrated at the same time. I just nicely told him you know the trails you are riding on right now are closed right? And your ticket can be $200+ for riding on closed trails and you are considered a trespasser right now. There wasn't much of a response from him. I don't understand peoples thought process on that. I do understand the traffic was really high on Friday and Saturday which is why I didn't even bother going out. I am fine with just riding during the week when the conditions are ride able. So I stuck to lake riding over the weekend. But now the damage is done and we are back to waiting for more snow. Would probably take 4-6" of snow to get them going again would be my guess. Remember to stay off closed trails! Not really sure what the guy was thinking yesterday around mid day since the trails were shot. Must not like his snowmobile that much. Please stay off until we get more snow and they are opened back up. IF we get more.

RS

ryanslyne

And now we wait again. Let's hope something comes together in the next week or so. At least it looks like it is going to stay cold for a while now.

RS