Walworth, Waukesha, Racine & Kenosha Counties SE WI 2017-18

ryanslyne

I am honestly surprised any of them opened. I guess Kenosha county I can see since they got more snow than the rest of us to the east. But beyond that like other had said all fluff. It has all settled now to 3" maybe 4" for the most part. And it will all be gone by Sunday by the sounds of it. Let's hope the big storm that John is talking about can fall a little bit further to the south and hit us. I imagine that Kenosha county is probably not too happy with the result of their opening and then closure within less than 24 hours. Now we wait again.

RS

ridindirty800

About 8" of snow this morning just north if Elkhorn, after about 1.65" of rain yesterday! Pretty big lakes out there in the fields today as there is nowhere for all the water to go with frost in ground.

ryanslyne

Wet and messy! 6” in East Troy. Trails remain closed as they should. Fields have ponds and mud on top then snow over that. Looking at the weather it will be gone by Sunday again. Can’t seem to catch a break this year. Maybe a better February? One can only hope for central and southern Wisconsin.

RS

C

Cirrus_Driver

The son bought his first sled this year, and he's been out riding Eagle Spring Lake, and ditches in Walworth Cty. Fisherman say 15" of ice...I hope they are right.
Is it legal to ride ditches, and if so what does he have to watch for. If not, let me know, he's going again tonight.

ridindirty800

The son bought his first sled this year, and he's been out riding Eagle Spring Lake, and ditches in Walworth Cty. Fisherman say 15" of ice...I hope they are right.
Is it legal to ride ditches, and if so what does he have to watch for. If not, let me know, he's going again tonight.

I was out fishing last weekend and there was a solid 13" where I was. I would be carefull right now for slush under the snow, there was so much rain before it changed over it did not have time to run off before snow piled up. As far as ditch riding I dont know the laws in that area to well, but I do know you have to ride with the flow of traffic at night. And like the other said, watch out for culverts seen tons of busted up sled from sticking a ski inside one, not to mention personal injury as well!

Found this
You may operate a snowmobile next to a roadway with due regard to
safety in the following manner:
• Along U.S. numbered highways, state and county highways at a
distance of 10 or more feet from the roadway. Travel on the median
of a divided highway is prohibited except to cross.
• Along town highways outside of the roadway. See the definition of a
town highway in the definitions.
• During daylight hours, you may travel in either direction regardless
of the flow of vehicle traffic.
• At night, you must travel in the same direction as vehicle traffic in
the nearest lane unless the snowmobile trail is located at least 40 feet
from the roadway or the trail is separated from the roadway by a
head lamp barrier and the snowmobile trail is approved by the DOT.

ryanslyne

For sure you can ditch ride all you want. Eagle Springs is a nice lake to ride and fish on at one time the trail used to cross it. It no longer does this but the trail dead ends at the lake. Of course the trails are closed right now but when they are open that is a nice option. Watch out on this lake when things warm up as the name indicates "Eagle SPRINGS" there is a lot of springs that have tendency to open up quickly or have thin ice when things get warm. The more you are out on this lake the more you will notice the good and bad areas. As ridindirty800 mentioned above you have to go with the flow of traffic at night. Only thing I would watch out for when ditch riding other than the mentioned culverts and junk in the ditches is town limits. Some towns do not allow snowmobiling within its limits. Some areas are strictly enforced depending on the towns local law enforcement. General rule of thumb would be if you are within the road and power poles you are in the legal right of way of the road and not trespassing. We have a few issues in East Troy with legal right of ways of the roads as many land owners think they own all the way to the road. The truth is they do not, so be prepared there is always a chance that someone might be wanting to give you an ear full for ditch riding on what they think is their property. When and if it ever happens to me I am usually polite and inform them of the rules. If they disagree I tell them to call the sheriffs department for clarification. 9 times out of 10 they wont and you will be on your merry way. Enjoy the ditches carefully, I rarely do but took my wife's sled out yesterday for a little ride on some ditches in Walworth county as well.

RS

C

Cirrus_Driver

Yeah thanks Ryan....I told him about SPRINGS and can't go by the depth on one drilled hole. But he's a millennial and knows it all. He's headed out again today.

The Kettle Moraine forest is always open, I have been riding out there the last couple of days. Yesterday was better, things froze up Tuesday night.

frnash

… many land owners think they own all the way to the road. The truth is they do not, so be prepared there is always a chance that someone might be wanting to give you an ear full for ditch riding on what they think is their property. …
That's really a very common problem. Many landowners don't know a thing about "right-of-way", never mind about the fact that sleds are allowed to ride there, where applicable.

WorkHardPlayHrd

XXX007 try and get your son to carry a pair of ice picks in his coat pocket, and that he has an idea how to use them. If he's out in the dark alone this could be his only chance, especially in unmarked areas. Use the whole I'm a parent and I want you to be safe line. We all do it at times. The sled can be replaced he can't. One parent to another. I know they think they know everything, but sometimes we give a little push. Last year's DNR class got to see live current footage of an experienced snowmobiler who went out alone and broke through the ice and drowned up by Barron. It can happen to any of us. Good luck and I hope he stays safe.

racerx

That's really a very common problem. Many landowners don't know a thing about "right-of-way", never mind about the fact that sleds are allowed to ride there, where applicable.

Funny this came up as I was just telling the wife how a few down here are blocking the very ends of their drives with snow fencing and another with cinder blocks / 4x4s which are less than 3ft from the painted lines. These guys are almost directly across from each other which forces sleds into the main roadway. Even funnier only a couple sleds go this way on the few times per year there is snow.

ryanslyne

Funny this came up as I was just telling the wife how a few down here are blocking the very ends of their drives with snow fencing and another with cinder blocks / 4x4s which are less than 3ft from the painted lines. These guys are almost directly across from each other which forces sleds into the main roadway. Even funnier only a couple sleds go this way on the few times per year there is snow.

That is very common around here. Most people around here do it because they don't want to ruin their precious driveway near the road. I know I try not to ruin my driveway either but the fact is if they are doing road construction on your road they will rip up the first couple feet of your driveway anyways if they want to. I have a story about legal right of way that just happened actually. My aunt lives on a rural town road in Walworth county. The plows came through with the last heavy wet snow this week and one of the plows picked up 2 large rocks that were in the ditch somewhere and they smashed into her car. When she contacted the town regarding repairs to the car due to the damage from the snow plow that is exactly what the town said. Since your car was parked within the legal right of way of the road it was not their responsibility. I have a feeling that her insurance will pay for it but I imagine that her insurance company has to be thinking about a lawsuit of some sort for this to get some money for it maybe?

RS

ryanslyne

Well looks like the cold is back except for 1 day this week 40 Wednesday. Then looking at John's forecast maybe we will get some snow again? Hopefully! Maybe we have a chance to get the trails open around here in February! Fingers crossed!

RS

timo

ehhhh looking at JD''s forecast he has us getting zero inches this week. That's on top of the zero inches on the ground.
Two week out look don't look much better either. The last few years down here have really been bad but this year takes the cake. I see more leaves blowing around than snow.

Well looks like the cold is back except for 1 day this week 40 Wednesday. Then looking at John's forecast maybe we will get some snow again? Hopefully! Maybe we have a chance to get the trails open around here in February! Fingers crossed!

RS

ryanslyne

ehhhh looking at JD''s forecast he has us getting zero inches this week. That's on top of the zero inches on the ground.
Two week out look don't look much better either. The last few years down here have really been bad but this year takes the cake. I see more leaves blowing around than snow.

Looking more promising now starting this weekend. Let's hope it is true and all these clipper systems rolling through can get us going! Fingers crossed that it actually happens but maybe by next week this time we will be able to play a bit around here!

RS

ridindirty800

Looking more promising now starting this weekend. Let's hope it is true and all these clipper systems rolling through can get us going! Fingers crossed that it actually happens but maybe by next week this time we will be able to play a bit around here!

RS

Yup lets hope John is right, I will be up north next week so we will prob get dumped on at home, usally how it goes. Local weather calling for 1-4 sat-sun, and 1-3 thursday night and 1-3 Friday of next week last I looked.

ryanslyne

Yup lets hope John is right, I will be up north next week so we will prob get dumped on at home, usally how it goes. Local weather calling for 1-4 sat-sun, and 1-3 thursday night and 1-3 Friday of next week last I looked.

I am sure up north will be way better than anything that we get down here! If that is the case though you should go north more often! HAHA

RS