Electric vehicle

acase27

Motor trend just posted a review of a Ford lightning towing and is titled “Tow No!”… couldn’t even make it 100 miles towing a camper. I can’t believe we’re still wasting time posting and talking about electric vehicles here…

My EcoBoost that gets 22mpg empty gets 9mpg pulling my 23' inline trailer, so 40% of the unloaded MPG. That's right in line with a 230 mile range EV getting dropped down 100 mile range towing. Not sure how this is so surprising?

These trucks (and current EV's) are not made for the frequent users of this board. We are a small group of consumers of the nearly 300 million vehicles on the road in the US.

mrbb

My EcoBoost that gets 22mpg empty gets 9mpg pulling my 23' inline trailer, so 40% of the unloaded MPG. That's right in line with a 230 mile range EV getting dropped down 100 mile range towing. Not sure how this is so surprising?

These trucks (and current EV's) are not made for the frequent users of this board. We are a small group of consumers of the nearly 300 million vehicles on the road in the US.
just saying, my 6.7 cummings gets 13-15 towing, pending what I am towing and where and 18-19 empty
having a 30+ gallon tank I can still tow about 450 miles on a tank? and the difference in not that high a percent from towing to empty!
and there are guys getting 25+ MPG towing smaller things with the smaller diesels in half ton trucks!
some are seeing REAL world results of getting 25-28 MPG towing and 30-31 empty!
again pending trailer size design and where being towed
but the difference is NOT so far apart from towing to empty, as E vehicles are getting!
nor smaller Gasoline motors are getting!

Again, seems Diesel are more efficient RIGHT now! and proven to work
should a Modern diesel loose some of its SMOG parts and well things get even better HAHA!
but that isn;t saving any tree's or the planet apparently

considering that things are just starting to get better with diesels in more vehicles, its a shame the push on E vehicles is what it is!

diesels motors in the last 10-15 yrs, have pretty much doubled there power and gotten almost twice the MPG"S
in basic trucks, 1/2-3/4-1 tons
and heck in cars, 50+ MPG was about for decades!, if diesel motors were liked by more american's
I could only imagine what could be for cars
but for what ever reasons, american's have had a dis like for diesel motors in cars
due to fuel was once considered cheap, and folks crying about smells and fumes and noise

modern diesels are quiet, NO real fumes*(minus the dam DEF smell) and make boat loads of power at use able RPM"S
not numbers at rpm's NO one drive at or should be that is!

But E vehicles are the so called future, even if things are NOT ready for them or they worked out the bugs in them!

united

Just watched the news. 460 public charging stations in Wisconsin. 4 of those are Tesla (class 3 type) super chargers, 4 total statewide. I know there are private stations that can be used (hotels, restaurants, etc.), unbelievable, but that is not what caught my eye. The regular chargers you have to charge for 4 hours to go 80 miles. So if I am going 80 mph on the interstate I get one hour of drive time to 4 hours of charge? The class 3 supercharger is 1 hour of charge to 80 miles. There again one hour of charge to one hour of drive time? What the ....?

I think we might be looking at this the wrong way. Electric cars may not be the answer. Its not just electric vs gasoline / diesel, those aren't the only choices. Obviously I don't know the answer but what about hydrogen or natural gas? Electric reminds me of those curly Q pig tail lights that were going to be forced in every lamp. But I like the old kind, and their answer - too bad everything is going curly Q, no choices, no alternative, that's all. Guess what - old incandescent still available and LED better technology (they say I guess) leap frogged right over the curly Q.

Go ahead and rip.

pclark

Motor trend just posted a review of a Ford lightning towing and is titled “Tow No!”… couldn’t even make it 100 miles towing a camper. I can’t believe we’re still wasting time posting and talking about electric vehicles here…
Somebody is not going to like that review! For those who want to drive to the grocery store and back and plug it back into charge it in your nice warm garage in the winter it's probably good. But for those who really need to depend on a vehicle in Northern Wisconsin I know I'm not ready to make that jump yet. I'll wait a few years to get all the bugs out and see how things go before investing in this EV Technology, don't have any issues with it but as I have said there was no real concrete planning and I think it's at least 5 years before they can actually say we are ready.

G

G

The target market for EVs is for people that drive less than 150 miles a day and don't tow anything. That is 90 percent of the US population. The many companies spending billions of dollars worldwide on EV cars for the masses do not currently care about the 10 percent that don't currently fit the mold. They can't build them fast enough right now. Worldwide. You can buck it all you want. Won't matter. In two years you or your neighbor will have an EV in their garage. Because you want to. Gas or diesel will always have their place. But 90 percent of the time an EV will be just fine. Write it down. And if you have any Fram air filter stock I would sell it if I were you. Midas muffler stock too. Get rid of that too. This is going to happen fast.

indy_500

The target market for EVs is for people that drive less than 150 miles a day and don't tow anything. That is 90 percent of the US population. The many companies spending billions of dollars worldwide on EV cars for the masses do not currently care about the 10 percent that don't currently fit the mold. They can't build them fast enough right now. Worldwide. You can buck it all you want. Won't matter. In two years you or your neighbor will have an EV in their garage. Because you want to. Gas or diesel will always have their place. But 90 percent of the time an EV will be just fine. Write it down. And if you have any Fram air filter stock I would sell it if I were you. Midas muffler stock too. Get rid of that too. This is going to happen fast.
And if you’re wrong???… This country is built on convenience… waiting 4 hours to charge to drive 80 miles is not convenient. You can’t sell that to the American culture, PERIOD! I’m sure the technology will improve in years to come, but it’s not going to be “a hit”, in 2 years time… Many on this board are retired, semi-retired, kids all grown up and must have forgotten what it’s like to be working 40-50+ hrs a week with kids in extra-curriculars, let alone finding time to feed the family and take care of the house… Lay off the pipe already, I’m sure I’m not the only one sick and tired of hearing how this is great technology, when if you look at it, it’s a joke from 9/10 angles. People in California are being told they can only charge their vehicles at certain times because they’re overpowering the grid! Get real! It’s not ready

xsledder

just saying, my 6.7 cummings gets 13-15 towing, pending what I am towing and where and 18-19 empty
having a 30+ gallon tank I can still tow about 450 miles on a tank? and the difference in not that high a percent from towing to empty!
and there are guys getting 25+ MPG towing smaller things with the smaller diesels in half ton trucks!
some are seeing REAL world results of getting 25-28 MPG towing and 30-31 empty!
again pending trailer size design and where being towed
but the difference is NOT so far apart from towing to empty, as E vehicles are getting!
nor smaller Gasoline motors are getting!

Again, seems Diesel are more efficient RIGHT now! and proven to work
should a Modern diesel loose some of its SMOG parts and well things get even better HAHA!
but that isn;t saving any tree's or the planet apparently

considering that things are just starting to get better with diesels in more vehicles, its a shame the push on E vehicles is what it is!

diesels motors in the last 10-15 yrs, have pretty much doubled there power and gotten almost twice the MPG"S
in basic trucks, 1/2-3/4-1 tons
and heck in cars, 50+ MPG was about for decades!, if diesel motors were liked by more american's
I could only imagine what could be for cars
but for what ever reasons, american's have had a dis like for diesel motors in cars
due to fuel was once considered cheap, and folks crying about smells and fumes and noise

modern diesels are quiet, NO real fumes*(minus the dam DEF smell) and make boat loads of power at use able RPM"S
not numbers at rpm's NO one drive at or should be that is!

But E vehicles are the so called future, even if things are NOT ready for them or they worked out the bugs in them!
I have a baby diesel. I get 18 to 23 mpg around town empty (weather dependent). 26 to 28 mpg on the highway empty. Anywhere from 12 to 18 mpg towing (12 towing into the wind, 18 with the wind on my back). I am happy with how well the baby diesel works for what I need.

Also, that soot is heavy enough that it settles out of the air over time. I don't know why the whiners don't realize that.

xsledder

And if you’re wrong???… This country is built on convenience… waiting 4 hours to charge to drive 80 miles is not convenient. You can’t sell that to the American culture, PERIOD! I’m sure the technology will improve in years to come, but it’s not going to be “a hit”, in 2 years time… Many on this board are retired, semi-retired, kids all grown up and must have forgotten what it’s like to be working 40-50+ hrs a week with kids in extra-curriculars, let alone finding time to feed the family and take care of the house… Lay off the pipe already, I’m sure I’m not the only one sick and tired of hearing how this is great technology, when if you look at it, it’s a joke from 9/10 angles. People in California are being told they can only charge their vehicles at certain times because they’re overpowering the grid! Get real! It’s not ready
Don't forget that they have to charge outside the garage in case their car catches on fire while charging. (So much for the warm toasty garage advantage.)

Hoosier

California just passed a law that no new gas stations can be built anywhere. Only reason anyone is talking about electric vehicles is because the feds are going to ram it down our throats. They are niche vehicles as of now - if they work for you great - totally agree Indy - not practical for people working and carting around kids, or going on trips, etc.

Let the market decide. It didn't take the govt to pay for gas stations to be built. If e cars are so much better, and they might be some day, the recharging stations will follow on their own merits.

Same goes for ethanol subsidies - someone else made note of that earlier. Needless and expensive government interference.

indy_500

Don't forget that they have to charge outside the garage in case their car catches on fire while charging. (So much for the warm toasty garage advantage.)
And what about the people who live in apartments? Do apartments have to supply charging stations too? Next the libs will complain that their rent went up because of it! Let’s also not forget the average person may not tow like many of us on this board, but the average person is also not even in the ballpark of being able to afford current EV prices. I work at a place of 150 employees, and the average vehicle price in the parking lot might be closer to $5k than it is $10k. $5k is what 10-20% of the cost of an EV? These are your average people, they can’t afford Joes pipe dream!!

Last edited:

dfattack

Amen amigo

G

G

Believe what you want to believe. I have been watching this for five years. The only question I have left is which charging network to invest in. Money to be made here, people. This is probably going to be the biggest investment opportunity in all of our lifetimes. Just have to guess right on who is going to win the game. But make no mistake. The game is ON.

jonesin

depending on super expensive batteries from russia and china makes as much sense as depending on china to run our electrical grid, very few people in my neighborhood will be able to afford this, they cant afford new used cars for the most part much less a even a new $15000 battery for an old used car that is worthless without it or a charging station

pclark

Let the people make that choice, don't ram it down our throats like masks, vaccines, race, etc....

mrbb

Believe what you want to believe. I have been watching this for five years. The only question I have left is which charging network to invest in. Money to be made here, people. This is probably going to be the biggest investment opportunity in all of our lifetimes. Just have to guess right on who is going to win the game. But make no mistake. The game is ON.
or a big flop never say never
there are a just a LOT of un known's and what If's here IMO
as for investing in things
that side of it might be worth getting into and being vigilant in watching what direction things end up and ready to bail if need be!

dfattack

Let the people make that choice, don't ram it down our throats like masks, vaccines, race, etc....
Exactly.

I agree with some of what Grub says regarding the place an EV can have in our society. If me or my wife only ran around town locally I would definately consider one. Our lifestyle doesn't really agree with that scenario so unfortunately it's not a fit for us. But for those that would benefit from an EV go for it. Our country needs to be about freedom of choice. If the technology is that great and it solves a problem then it will succeed. If not, it won't. Let the market place dictate who wins and fails and not by getting a technology rammed down our throats. When government is paying for it (meaning us), it is being rammed down our throats.

mrbb

depending on super expensive batteries from russia and china makes as much sense as depending on china to run our electrical grid, very few people in my neighborhood will be able to afford this, they cant afford new used cars for the most part much less a even a new $15000 battery for an old used car that is worthless without it or a charging station
also, by the time a lot of folks can afford a E vehicle(IMIO) they will most likely be both used one's that maybe need a new battery and or, just well,
just OUT dated tech and electronic's on them

look how fast cell phones change as an example,a s tech advances! apple I phone's on what gen now?? in such a short time span! as an example, and as one thing that seems to shine true, all the most modern aged generations are TECH nuts, and want the newest gadget over having something that lasts long!! that MIGHT help open the door to lower prices on used things, if there not just recycled for parts!

as if were honest, for e vehicles to honestly take over they really need to get a LOT better, and better supported period!
so all the one's made NOW will most likely be , worth what?? ??? in a few yrs, if not less time,a s better one's come out! be like making old one's use less!
even cordless tools. went this route, to get better one's the old one's when in the trash! NO value to them really! new battery costing more than a better new gen tool does! as an example! and I am sure many here LOVE cordless tools! HAHA!

SO, e vehicles right now, there still in questionable positions, even after 20+ yrs of them being around, ( and I doubt anyone wants one of the last 15 yr produced ones' as in buying a used one? unless its to collect it )
so, there still mostly novelty items for those that have deeper pockets and or?? own more than 1 vehicles!
as to being honest replacement vehicles for the average person!
still a ways to go before becoming ICE motor replacements IMO!

mike1970

Somebody is not going to like that review! For those who want to drive to the grocery store and back and plug it back into charge it in your nice warm garage in the winter it's probably good. But for those who really need to depend on a vehicle in Northern Wisconsin I know I'm not ready to make that jump yet. I'll wait a few years to get all the bugs out and see how things go before investing in this EV Technology, don't have any issues with it but as I have said there was no real concrete planning and I think it's at least 5 years before they can actually say we are ready.
Here is the YouTube video of the Ford Lighting vs. Chevy Gasser test. Pulling identical trailers.

xsledder

And what about the people who live in apartments? Do apartments have to supply charging stations too? Next the libs will complain that their rent went up because of it! Let’s also not forget the average person may not tow like many of us on this board, but the average person is also not even in the ballpark of being able to afford current EV prices. I work at a place of 150 employees, and the average vehicle price in the parking lot might be closer to $5k than it is $10k. $5k is what 10-20% of the cost of an EV? These are your average people, they can’t afford Joes pipe dream!!
Yep, another issue I haven't heard a solution too.

xsledder

Exactly.

I agree with some of what Grub says regarding the place an EV can have in our society. If me or my wife only ran around town locally I would definately consider one. Our lifestyle doesn't really agree with that scenario so unfortunately it's not a fit for us. But for those that would benefit from an EV go for it. Our country needs to be about freedom of choice. If the technology is that great and it solves a problem then it will succeed. If not, it won't. Let the market place dictate who wins and fails and not by getting a technology rammed down our throats. When government is paying for it (meaning us), it is being rammed down our throats.
I cannot wait until we hear how bad the batteries from these cars are for the environment from the media and libs and we cannot use EVs anymore.